What rifle should I get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rifle should I get

I am looking for a rifle for elk, I'm thinking 30-06 or 7mm mag. I really like the browning X bolt and A bolt but I am not a rich man. Any suggestions for a rifle that i should be looking for, either new or used, that won't break the bank?
    What would be the rifle equilivent of the remington 870 express shotgun (i.e. reliable and affordable?)
    Thanks

Moved to Firearms and Shooting

Moved to Firearms and Shooting.
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Remington 700 in 338 mag or one of the short mags
      "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

My vote would be for a 300 win mag! It will definitely reach out and "touch" someone, or should I say something.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Big Browns View Post
          My vote would be for a 300 win mag! It will definitely reach out and "touch" someone, or should I say something.
          Reaching out and "touch" something has no bearing on the calibre, it's the shooter and his/her ability. One should definitely be aware of their capabilities with the rifle and try not to extend beyond that distance.

Comment

I dont' think you can go wrong with a Remington 700. For Elk you are likely to find all weather conditions. An "all weather" rifle might be good idea.

Disclaimer: I have never hunted Elk.

From what I read you will put a lot of miles on foot and log many hours hunting Elk. If it were me I would be looking for a lightweight firearm. Remember you'll have to add a scope which will also add weight. The trade off would be recoil. A lighter rifle will "kick" more than a heavier one. Make sure you save room in your budget to get a decent piece of glass.

Like huntfish has suggested...A well placed shot from a caliber rifle you are comfortable shooting is the ticket.

Comment

Would a .243 do?

I inherited a Winchester .243 bolt action rifle and was wondering what it is best suited for? I assume it is a good rifle for hunting Whitetail Deer, but is it also suitable for something like Elk?
              Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
              Simple Goat Herder
              Former NGTO President
              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                I inherited a Winchester .243 bolt action rifle and was wondering what it is best suited for? I assume it is a good rifle for hunting Whitetail Deer, but is it also suitable for something like Elk?
                No, way to small of a caliber.
                RoyC

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyC View Post
                  Thanks Roy, that is kind of what I figured. Nice gun I got, but I have never been big on hunting with high powered rifles. Most of my deer hunting has always been of the close-in type in heavy cover, where I prefer to use a 12 gauge rifled slug.

PS: apologies for hijacking your thread Jared!
                  Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                  Simple Goat Herder
                  Former NGTO President
                  Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Uh oh Clark--time for a new rifle.

Comment

Jared

The answer depends on what you are going to use it for.

Regarding caliber: If itís just an around the Southeast than you couldnít go wrong with a 270, 308, or 30-06. With the right bullet, those are good elk calibers too and will sensibly take anything in North America with the exception of brown bears. You might want to consider a 7mm-08 too. Great caliber. Magnum cartridges are over-kill for around here, which includes the 7mm, 300, and 338. That is not to say that they arenít fun, but they arenít the thing to start off with unless you want learn a recoil-induced flinch. Magnums aren't cheap to shoot either.

Regarding brand: There are a lot of very reasonably priced rifles and Ďsensibly pricedí is a growing segment with Mossberg and others entering the market. Iíd suggest Savage because of their Accutrigger. That said, there isnít a darn thing wrong with the others.

If you forced the answer to only one option Iíd have to say a Savage in 30-06. Good rifle and a flexible caliber with loads ranging from 100 gr plinkers and reduced-recoil deer loads all the way up to 200 gr round-nose solids at 2,400 fps that will go straight through big, tough critters.

Donít forget about optics

Bob

Comment

Used? A gun show is your friend.

New? I just browsed Bass Pro to get an idea. Two combos caught my eye.
                        Both Savage, blued, synthetic, 3-9X40 in calibers ranging from 270 on the light side to 300WinMag & 7MM on the high side.
                        Model 111FCXP3 (detachable mag & no AccuTrigger) - $400
                        Model 111F - $580

Buck - You're set for coyotes!!!!

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                          About the only NA animal that I would NOT use a 243 for are Moose, Brown Bears, and Polar Bears.

Tell that to the Elk, Mule Deer and Caribou besides multiple whitetails that both my dad and I have harvested. Dad also shot a Red Stag with a 243. All 1 shot deals. It's shot placement, not caliber.

Comment

With a well-placed shot and the right bullet, a .243 can take an elk. I know several folks who have been successful with their .243s. The foundation for a well-placed shot is knowing how well you shoot to a given distance.

When I'm hunting elk, muleys, whitetails, and even antelope, I use a Remington 700 .30-06. Some of my friends use .270s, 7mm, .300 WinMags, .308, .45-70 (which has rainbow-like ballistics), and yes, .243. It all depends on how well you shoot what you have. My rifle fits me well, I can carry it all day (even longer when I'm on horseback!), and with my bipod I"m solid with 2" diameter groups at 300 yds. I'd like to narrow that down this fall, but that's going to require some time at the range. Hopefully, I'll have a sheep tag this year...

Steven
                            "Of course, the most elegant experiments require no statistics at all." - A. Zale, Leader, U.S. Geological Survey Montana Cooperative Fishery Research Unit

Comment

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
                              About the only NA animal that I would NOT use a 243 for are Moose, Brown Bears, and Polar Bears.

Tell that to the Elk, Mule Deer and Caribou besides multiple whitetails that both my dad and I have harvested. Dad also shot a Red Stag with a 243. All 1 shot deals. It's shot placement, not caliber.
                              Huntfish beat me to it.
                              "Of course, the most elegant experiments require no statistics at all." - A. Zale, Leader, U.S. Geological Survey Montana Cooperative Fishery Research Unit

Comment

Working...
                              X