Rifle Shooting Ranges?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Shooting Ranges?

In looking at the list of ranges listed on the Georgia DNR site I was considering going to the West Point WMA north of Lagrange. Has anyone been there recently that can comment on the conditions of the range, benchs, target stands, etc?

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/920

Originally posted by MariettaMike View Post
    In looking at the list of ranges listed on the Georgia DNR site I was considering going to the West Point WMA north of Lagrange. Has anyone been there recently that can comment on the conditions of the range, benchs, target stands, etc?

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/920
    Here's a start... http://home.earthlink.net/~bill_mc/s...g%20ranges.htm

Comment

I went here a few times 2 years ago. They were getting set up and if I recall correctly you can shoot out to 500 yds during certain times.

http://www.creeksidefiringrange.com/

Comment

I don't know anything about that particular range, but IMO, the best rifle range around Marietta is Creekside up in Taylorsville on Old Alabama Rd. Its only a shade over 100 yards but they don't put up with any crap. WMA's can get a bit hairy, even when they do have range officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Architorture View Post
          WMA's can get a bit hairy, even when they do have range officers.
          The prettier the day, the higher the hairyness factor. I'm talking about crowds, not psychos. Six friends sharing a shooting bench with 10 handguns will guarantee multiple weapons in hands at one time. Rangemasters WILL control it when they see it, but they may have ten or more groups to watch. All it takes is one careless split second to ruin your life.

Windknot's WMA Range Rules
          1. Weekdays are best.
          2. Start early (Check opening time.)
          3. Finish early.
          4. If newbies have questions, take time to answer them. And WATCH them.
          5. If you see any activity that raises your eyebrows, pack up and leave. Dial 1-800-241-4113 as soon as you have a signal; the life you save may be mine!
          Last edited by Windknot; 03-10-11, 11:54 AM. Reason: Missing (. Pls ignore speling.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Thanks for posting the info about Creekside. I will have to go up there soon I have a few things I would like to re-zero out to 300yds.

Comment

West Point WMA

I went over to West Point WMA shooting range this afternoon knowing it was windy. But I didn't think it was that windy. The following is a summary of conditions.

The people and dates on the self service sign in sheets indicate the range is used mostly on the weekend. The amount of brass, broken clays, shotgun shells and garbage on the range shows there are people that do not follow the rules that are posted directly above the sign in sheet. Although there really wasn't any litter. Wind?

There are around ten ambidextrous benches. Benches are on a concrete slab with tin shed cover. Range is 100 yards long with red clay backstop at 109. Yards markers stakes are driven in the ground along the side at 25, 50, 75 and 100. There are no target stands. Gravel path down the middle is mostly covered with sand and silt and today it was just muddy.

If you go be sure bring a couple more realtors' "For Sale" signs to hang your targets on. That's all I could find and those were shot up pretty good. Also bring a broom and dust pan to pick up your brass.

I would go back if passing down I-85, but I hope I can find something closer to Marietta. Please keep posting about othere ranges around the SouthEast.

I heard there is a real nice one in northern South Carolina that is open to the public with gun shop, marshalls and over 500 yards. Anybody know about that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Clintb2015 View Post
                Thanks for posting the info about Creekside. I will have to go up there soon I have a few things I would like to re-zero out to 300yds.
                Well, its nice, but its not a 300 yd range. The good thing is that pistols are at a separate, shorter range so when you're trying to zero in a rifle there's not some guy rapid-firing through a 15 round mag in his Glock right next to you.

There is a 50 and 100 yard rifle range with 8-10, covered, ambi- benches at each (this is not including the 30 yd-or-so pistol range.) There is a full-time range officer who calls the range hot and cold. You do not need to bring target stands. They have kind of a dual-clothesline set up that you clip your targets to at top and bottom. Just beware that this setup is fine for zeroing hunting rifles but if you're looking to get <1 MOA groups, it might be tough as the targets kinda "bounce" on the strings in the wind. To limit this, place your targets as close to the posts as possible. And, of course, you can rent/buy your accessories there if you need; eyes, ears, rests, targets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MariettaMike View Post
                  I went over to West Point WMA shooting range this afternoon knowing it was windy. But I didn't think it was that windy. The following is a summary of conditions.

The people and dates on the self service sign in sheets indicate the range is used mostly on the weekend. The amount of brass, broken clays, shotgun shells and garbage on the range shows there are people that do not follow the rules that are posted directly above the sign in sheet. Although there really wasn't any litter. Wind?

There are around ten ambidextrous benches. Benches are on a concrete slab with tin shed cover. Range is 100 yards long with red clay backstop at 109. Yards markers stakes are driven in the ground along the side at 25, 50, 75 and 100. There are no target stands. Gravel path down the middle is mostly covered with sand and silt and today it was just muddy.

If you go be sure bring a couple more realtors' "For Sale" signs to hang your targets on. That's all I could find and those were shot up pretty good. Also bring a broom and dust pan to pick up your brass.

I would go back if passing down I-85, but I hope I can find something closer to Marietta. Please keep posting about othere ranges around the SouthEast.

I heard there is a real nice one in northern South Carolina that is open to the public with gun shop, marshalls and over 500 yards. Anybody know about that one?
                  Originally posted by Architorture View Post
                  Well, its nice, but its not a 300 yd range. The good thing is that pistols are at a separate, shorter range so when you're trying to zero in a rifle there's not some guy rapid-firing through a 15 round mag in his Glock right next to you.

There is a 50 and 100 yard rifle range with 8-10, covered, ambi- benches at each (this is not including the 30 yd-or-so pistol range.) There is a full-time range officer who calls the range hot and cold. You do not need to bring target stands. They have kind of a dual-clothesline set up that you clip your targets to at top and bottom. Just beware that this setup is fine for zeroing hunting rifles but if you're looking to get <1 MOA groups, it might be tough as the targets kinda "bounce" on the strings in the wind. To limit this, place your targets as close to the posts as possible. And, of course, you can rent/buy your accessories there if you need; eyes, ears, rests, targets, etc.

Try Gun Site Hills in Lexington (outside of Athens) 100-700 yard range and you couldn't get better training.

http://www.gunsitehills.com/

Comment

This from Creekside's website

"We offer long range shooting several times a week:
                    Mondays
                    10:00-11:15 AM 200 Yds.
                    11:30-12:45 AM 300 Yds.
                    Tuesdays
                    4:00-5:15 PM 200 Yds.
                    5:30-7:00 PM 300 Yds.
                    Wednesdays
                    Long Distance for MEMBERS ONLY
                    Check-in 20 minutes before the hour or wait until next hour.
                    11:00- 12:30PM 200 Yds.
                    1:00- 2:30PM 300 Yds.
                    3:00- 4:30PM 400 Yds.
                    5:00- 7:00PM 500 Yds.
                    Thursday-Friday-Saturday
                    All Day 100 Yds.

50Yd. & 100 Yd. range open anytime we are not shooting Long Range!"

Comment

Ah yes, I forgot they do have long range shooting but for members only.

Comment

My favorite DNR ran operation is at Charlie Elliot. They have a 100 yard range with covered benches and also a seperate pistol range. It is one I go to quite often as I hunt down that way. I'd recommend it to anyone!
                        I Don't Live To Fish, But I Couldn't Imagine A Life Without Fishing...

Comment

there is a range out I20 west close to tallapossa but I cant remeber the name. Its 50yds and 100 yds and is well run with gun shop there.
                          "Fortunately, I'm adhearing to a pretty strict,uh,drug,uh regimen to keep my mind ....you know limber" The Big Lebowski-1998

Comment

Working...
                          X