Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over/Under advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Went to the gun shop today and came home with a slightly used Silver Pigeon II. Great shape, nice engraving, set of chokes, and a Boyt case. I'm gonna try to get to the field tomorrow and I'll be at Tom Lowe's as soon as I get to Atlanta. Can't wait to give it a try.
    When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, a pair of earphones on my head, and always play the Grateful Dead

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by gojackets View Post
      Went to the gun shop today and came home with a slightly used Silver Pigeon II. Great shape, nice engraving, set of chokes, and a Boyt case. I'm gonna try to get to the field tomorrow and I'll be at Tom Lowe's as soon as I get to Atlanta. Can't wait to give it a try.
      gojackets, very good choice.....go bust a few with it

      Comment


      • #48
        I got out to the field near my house yesterday and shot 45 in a round of sporting clays. I missed 4/5 in the first station but then I didn't miss again until the last bird The gun fits great; it took a few shots to warm up but after that I couldn't miss. Looking forward to trying it out on the skeet field.
        When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, a pair of earphones on my head, and always play the Grateful Dead

        Comment


        • #49
          pics or it didnt happen...

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Architorture View Post
            pics or it didnt happen...

            All 50 shots?

            Comment


            • #51
              Haha I didn't bring a camera so no pictures...wouldn't show yall the misses anyway! Especially the last one. It was an easy floater and I shot right under it. The course isn't very hard and has all the standard shots; grouse, a couple teal, floaters, and 2 rabbits. The hardest station had report pair right-to-left passers with a pretty small shooting window between trees.

              I've only shot Etowah once (white course I believe) and it was about a year ago so I can't give a good comparison, but I think Etowah is more challenging. Still, I can't beat a 10 min drive and a real laid back feel complete with a pointer who tags along when he's not cooling off in the pond.
              When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, a pair of earphones on my head, and always play the Grateful Dead

              Comment


              • #52
                I don't care about your shooting. I just want to see the gun.

                Comment


                • #53
                  These are from my phone when I got it on Saturday. Sorry the quality probably isn't great and just ignore the dog toy in the second picture.
                  Attached Files
                  When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, a pair of earphones on my head, and always play the Grateful Dead

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Now that's a pretty shotgun.

                    And it would be beyond awesome if you could get the birds covered in gold.

                    "Up with the White and Gold!"

                    Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                    These are from my phone when I got it on Saturday. Sorry the quality probably isn't great and just ignore the dog toy in the second picture.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by MariettaMike View Post
                      Now that's a pretty shotgun.

                      And it would be beyond awesome if you could get the birds covered in gold.

                      "Up with the White and Gold!"
                      That's a great idea. I know the upper end models have gold plated birds but the rest of the receiver is blued. I don't know if it's possible to get the birds plated, but it would be a nice touch. I prefer a subtle touch of team spirit rather than slapping a huge G on everything
                      When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, a pair of earphones on my head, and always play the Grateful Dead

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Don't listen to Mike; he is just jealous as all he has to shoot is a butt ugly camo Benelli semi-auto!
                        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

                        Buck Henry
                        Simple Goat Herder
                        Former NGTO President
                        Hall of Fame Member

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                          Don't listen to Mike; he is just jealous as all he has to shoot is a butt ugly camo Benelli semi-auto!
                          It might not be the prettiest thing but I'm sure it's a great waterfowl gun. Both my roommate and little brother in the fraternity shoot SBEs and they love em, although one's from Baton Rouge and the other is in the DC area so they get a lot more ducks than we do on Lanier. I've heard Hartwell holds a decent amount of woodies but I've never been out there during season.
                          When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, a pair of earphones on my head, and always play the Grateful Dead

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            very nice! I also like Mike's suggestion. I know Beretta does gold plating on their case-colored receivers, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it on a stainless/nickel gun. You end up with 26 or 28" bbls?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              28's. I'm between 6'4" and 6'5" so the guy suggested I try a shorter barrel, but I've shot 28's before so I don't think I'll have any trouble. Is there even a noticable difference?

                              I forgot which model it was but one of the Berettas in the store was shorter than the rest so even though it had 28" barrels, the overall length of the gun was the same as the normal 26" models.
                              When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, a pair of earphones on my head, and always play the Grateful Dead

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                                28's. I'm between 6'4" and 6'5" so the guy suggested I try a shorter barrel, but I've shot 28's before so I don't think I'll have any trouble. Is there even a noticable difference?

                                I forgot which model it was but one of the Berettas in the store was shorter than the rest so even though it had 28" barrels, the overall length of the gun was the same as the normal 26" models.
                                no difference in pattern, imo. the choke determines the pattern, not the barrel length.

                                only difference is the weight, which affects the swing. some people say 28" swings better because it has a little more momentum. I think its a negligible difference, personally. My dove gun is a 26" barreled Remington 1100, my quail gun is a 28" sxs. I think I shoot both about equally well. If anything, I would switch the two around since I think the longer barrel might nominally help on passing birds (doves) while the shorter might be better for point shooting quail in tight cover. But still, I don't think it matters enough to change anything.

                                I have no idea the correlation of barrel length to height. Never heard of that before.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X