Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trap vs. Skeet

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
    Semi-autos are great, but those of us who shoot a lot of Trap hate the darn things! You are constantly getting whacked by shells when the guy next to you is shooting a semi! And when you politely suggest they consider using a shell catcher, they usually give you a dirty look?
    Real men shoot skeet and sporting clays......

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
    Real men shoot skeet and sporting clays......
    If you could see how well I have been shooting lately, you would not be calling me no sissy!

PS: Trap is a tough game, tougher than skeet IMHO. With skeet, the target will (by design) follow the same path everytime if the high and low house throwers are properly calibrated. Thus, it becomes an excercise in proper timing of the shot to consistantly hit skeet targets. Not so with Trap! Yeah, the targets are always moving away from you in Trap, but you never know at what angle they are going to leave the trap house.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

If you could see how well I have been shooting lately, you would not be calling me no sissy!
      I think they have got you mixed up with Gatorbyte back when he got a boo boo on his arm.

To keep from getting hit by the empties flying out of my Benelli you should let me shoot one of your Citoris.

Comment

PS: Trap is a tough game, tougher than skeet IMHO. With skeet, the target will (by design) follow the same path everytime if the high and low house throwers are properly calibrated. Thus, it becomes an excercise in proper timing of the shot to consistantly hit skeet targets. Not so with Trap! Yeah, the targets are always moving away from you in Trap, but you never know at what angle they are going to leave the trap house.
        Absolutely dead on about skeet. I have to say skeet shooters kind of annoy me and I've never been extremely impressed by them. I actually heard a lady one day say the high tower thrower was a little slow. She could tell it was slow because she was missing ahead of the bird. Skeet shooters don't shoot the bird, they shoot where they know the bird is supposed to be. It's all muscle memory at that point. Now don't get me wrong, I know plenty of people who can shoot lights out at skeet and can also shoot really well in the field. I'm just saying that proficiency at skeet doesn't necessarily indicate performance in the field. If clays games are supposed to mimic hunting situations, skeet is probably the worst at that.

Personally, I love 5 stand.

Comment

Yeah, skeet reminds me of my basketball days when the coach would have us shoot 100 free throws in a row during practice. Once you got zoned in you could generally hit 20 or 30 in a row before missing. But put me in a game with a 1 and 1 and the score tied, you'd think I'd never shot a free throw in my life! Definitely sporting clays is the way to go.

As far as guns go, find some rich guy's mistake that he's willing to get rid of so he can buy him some new golf clubs. Don't go cheap!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Architorture View Post
            Absolutely dead on about skeet. I have to say skeet shooters kind of annoy me and I've never been extremely impressed by them. I actually heard a lady one day say the high tower thrower was a little slow. She could tell it was slow because she was missing ahead of the bird. Skeet shooters don't shoot the bird, they shoot where they know the bird is supposed to be. It's all muscle memory at that point. Now don't get me wrong, I know plenty of people who can shoot lights out at skeet and can also shoot really well in the field. I'm just saying that proficiency at skeet doesn't necessarily indicate performance in the field. If clays games are supposed to mimic hunting situations, skeet is probably the worst at that.

Personally, I love 5 stand.
            I'll be the first to admit that timing is extremely important in skeet shooting but to say that a skeet shooter shoots where the bird is supposed to be is just wrong After all, a skeet shooter shoots doubles as a part of the round and, if the 12 gauge gets too easy, you just step down to the 20, the 28 and the 410

In all seriousness, the toughest targets have to be sporting clays/five stand.

Dan Mitchell, a many time all american skeet shooter and former captain of the Navy skeet team (some of you who have been shooting for some time may remember Dan from his Wold Creek days), shared his thoughts on the relative difficulties of trap and skeet by saying that, for a new shooter, it is easier to become relatively proficient in trap than in skeet (relatively proficient being in his opionion breaking 20 plus clays per round) but that it is more difficult for an experienced shooter to run a hundred in trap than in skeet. I do believe it's easier for a skeet shooter to switch to trap and have some level of success than it is for a trap shooter to make the conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by fredw View Post
              I'll be the first to admit that timing is extremely important in skeet shooting but to say that a skeet shooter shoots where the bird is supposed to be is just wrong After all, a skeet shooter shoots doubles as a part of the round and, if the 12 gauge gets too easy, you just step down to the 20, the 28 and the 410
              When a woman says the skeet is moving too slow because she's shooting in front of it, that means she is shooting where the clay was supposed to be on a well-calibrated thrower.

I'm just saying that since the bird take the same path every time, it becomes much more memorizable and its not as much a reaction to the bird each time.

I'd even bet that most top skeet shooters break clays at almost the same place in their flight everytime and the time elapsed from when they say "pull" to the time they squeeze the trigger is probably very close.

Not to diminish skeet shooting because its still pretty difficult and I'm certainly not that great at it. I'd just give up if I had to do it with a .410, too.

Comment

All of you who just shoot clays are sissy's. You think trap or skeet can be tough, try hittin a small duck flyin 70+ bout a foot and a half off the water while pitchin and dippin. That junk is hard as heck and not to mention frustratin.
                "There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." - Theodore Roosevelt

"That old whisky drinking, bluegrass listening, Carhartt wearing, all night roaming rambler he'll always be." Yonder Mountain String Band

Official GATOR HATER

Comment

Trap vs. Skeet

Moved from O/U Advice thread since the topic is taking on a life of its own.
                  "What's his offense?"
                  "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                  ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by LoggerHeadBowBuster View Post
                    All of you who just shoot clays are sissy's. You think trap or skeet can be tough, try hittin a small duck flyin 70+ bout a foot and a half off the water while pitchin and dippin. That junk is hard as heck and not to mention frustratin.
                    There you go calling me a sissy again! It is not that I do not want to hunt, it is that I do not have access to any good land to hunt on. These days you either own some good land to hunt on, you lease good land to hunt on, or you take your freakin chances hunting on public land! Shooting clays is not a bad option for us urban outdoorsmen!

PS: sorry to the OP for having taken this so far off the original topic, but again I am enjoying this thread immensely!

Buck Henry
                    Simple Goat Herder
                    Former NGTO President
                    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

These days you either own some good land to hunt on, you lease good land to hunt on, or you take your freakin chances hunting on public land!
                      you need better friends!

dove hunting can be done relatively cheaply. (cheaper than planting your own field, at least.) some of the WMA's have good shoots and some of them are even quota hunts. opening day can be a little hairy on public land but it drops off dramatically after that.

so where do you guys shoot? Im sure some at Tom Lowe. Ever shoot Blalock Lakes? We should get a trip up and go to Etowah Valley. Nice place up there in Dawsonville.

Comment

Originally posted by Architorture View Post
                        you need better friends!
                        LOL, is that ever the truth!

I shoot quite a bit down at Tom Lowe's, and we have been shooting up at Noontootla Creek Farms sporting clays course too. I have not been to the Etowah Valley location yet but have been meaning to check it out.

PS: we did a group shoot up at the NCF place a month or so back. Maybe we can do another one soon as it was a ton of fun!

Buck Henry
                        Simple Goat Herder
                        Former NGTO President
                        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Go shoot a round or two of sporting clays for a fun day in the field/woods. And do it south of Wolf Creek

Preferably south of Macon/I-16 or at least south of Forsyth (town not County).

5-stand, trap, skeet? "My, I am getting all hot and sweltery. Mind if we take a break on the picnic table in the shade and have some fine lemonade, tea or a coke? I have some right over there in a cooler in my giant SUV/pickup. Or I'll ring up the club house on my cell phone and have that pretty girl that I can see through the window right there bring us something out".

Sporting clays? Pick a nice, sultry day like...um..today and walk or bounce your butt around in a golf cart on hot, dusty, sand or clay roads/ruts in the doghaired pine trees while the guy (or lady) next to you dances a circular jig while waving their gun around avoiding mosquitoes, horse flies, vultures and/or snakes.

But I have no opinion on the sissyness of anything

TH
                          "Message received, no reply"

Comment

REAL men shoot ruffed grouse and leave those silly orange birds alone!

rich
                            "Fish hard or go home!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by S.Trutta View Post
                              REAL men shoot ruffed grouse and leave those silly orange birds alone!

rich
                              real men TRY to shoot ruffed grouse in Georgia.

real gentlemen hunt quail over setters, pointers, and brittanies.

Comment

Working...
                              X