Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ga to allow Carrying a firearm without a permit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most profound reason to have a gun, for me, is to protect myself from my government or an invading army from another country. The nutjobs that pull off the mass-shootings are random and the chance of me encountering something like that, being in a position to help, actually carrying the piece, etc. It's all like a perfect storm. If it's my time to go, then my gun might not be able to stop it.

But governments are notorious, even nefarious "infringers". So my guess, my hunch, is that if one or the other is bound to happen to me, it's more likely going to be the government trying to take me out and not some random loser loaded for bear.
    sigpic

I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."
    And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
      I disagree. Any gun fire from a would-be hero in that theater would have been a major distraction to the bad guy. He would no longer have the luxury of shooting folks indiscriminately if someone was returning fire directed at him. I am convinced that this would have a strong potential to save lives.
      But with it being dark, a couple hundred people running in all directions, and there basically not being a direction of fire that would not have had a innocent person either between you and the shooter or as the background behind the shooter just how many people would you have shot?

Also if two or more good ole boys with Colts had started firing, which one of them would you have shot at thinking he was the Bad Guy?

I just do not see a lot of upside from just blasting away in the dark.

When all of the police work was done, and the would-be hero found out he was credited with one grandmother, a teenager and the local auto mechanic the hero might not be feeling so good.
      RoyC

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!

Comment

TB, the .45 ACP was invented in 1904 by John Browning for eventual use in his M1911 semi-auto pistol. Rather than Germans, you may be thinking of the Moro rebellion in the Philippines in the early 20th century and against whom the Krag .30-06 was not very effective. Not sure about the drugs - I heard that one too but it was cocaine, not opium. Mostly they were just determined fighters. Anyone on opium is usually worthless - unless you need a lumpy rug.

ETA: In any event the Moro are Muslims and, if they are following the law, are forbidden from ingesting drugs.
        "What's his offense?"
        "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
        ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
          TB, the .45 ACP was invented in 1904 by John Browning for eventual use in his M1911 semi-auto pistol. Rather than Germans, you may be thinking of the Moro rebellion in the Philippines in the early 20th century and against whom the Krag .30-06 was not very effective. Not sure about the drugs - I heard that one too but it was cocaine, not opium. Mostly they were just determined fighters. Anyone on opium is usually worthless - unless you need a lumpy rug.

ETA: In any event the Moro are Muslims and, if they are following the law, are forbidden from ingesting drugs.
          Correction: ...against whom the .38 special was not very effective....

also the Krag was a 30-40 not 30-06.
          RoyC

Comment

Errt....correct. Mixing my histories again. I also said Krag .30-06. It's actually the Krag .30-40.
            "What's his offense?"
            "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
            ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by RoyC View Post
              I just do not see a lot of upside from just blasting away in the dark.
              Come on Roy, give me a little more credit than that.
              Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
              Simple Goat Herder
              Former NGTO President
              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Apparently the citizens of Colorado are preparing for a rerun--news says gun sales are up 41% in Co since the shooting.

Comment

despite my reasoning, i see this as good news Ole NGTO Man.

the gun sales, not the rerun projection
                  sigpic

I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."
                  And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Comment

kinda off the topic but - - -

"screwing with roads". Dang Howard, I was riding the fence on that vote but you made my mind up. TRW

Comment

Buck, I did the best I could.
                      RoyC

Comment

Also if two or more good ole boys with Colts had started firing, which one of them would you have shot at thinking he was the Bad Guy?
                        The one(s) wearing a gas mask and body armor shooting people in their backs as they try to crawl out of there.
                        Last edited by MariettaMike; 07-26-12, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Cheney
                          sigpic

Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by MariettaMike View Post
                            The one(s) wearing a gas mask and body armor shooting people in their backs as they try to crawl out of there.
                            And just how would you make that determination in the dark with two dozen people within spitting distance of you yelling, praying, vomiting, and peeing their pants all at the same time?

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I am done here.
                            RoyC

Comment

And just how would you make that determination in the dark with two dozen people within spitting distance of you yelling, praying, vomiting, and peeing their pants all at the same time?

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I am done here.
                              I saw the midnight premier of the same movie in Suwanee, and I can tell you theaters aren't really that dark. If you have trouble picking out a full grown man, armed with an assault rifle, from a crowd then you need to get your eyes checked.
                              The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Why and where I carry

I carry because I decided long ago that I would not be helplessly hiding behind a cheap plastic seat if some wack job decided to shoot up the fast food joint I was in or anywhere else. I carry everywhere except work (I work at the airport), church, and hospitals. I carry a .45 ACP w/hollow points, I am a very good shot, have a very high level of "situational awareness. As for the decision to shoot/don't shoot...well, the bad guy makes that decision when he threatens the safety and lives of innocent people. And that's all I have to say about that...for now, anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X