Process for obtaining a CCW permit in Fulton County

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process for obtaining a CCW permit in Fulton County

My wife was asking about the CCW permit process so I dilligently looked it up. Lo and behold, one does NOT need to fight one's way through the urban nightmare of downtown Atlanta but instead the CCW permit can be processed in the North Fulton Annex on Roswell Road.

To wit:

1. Bring $80 in cash and a SASE. The probate court gets $30 and $50 is for fingerprinting and a background check by the police. If you don't bring the SASE you'll have to return to the Annex when the license is ready.

2. Start at the Fulton County North Annex on 7741 Roswell Road, Suite 225, between Dalrymple and Pitts Road. (Or you can go downtown, but why in Heavens name would you?)

3. After doing the paperwork and being sworn, you need to be fingerprinted by the police.

4. Go to Sandy Spings Police Department (7840 Roswell Road, # 301) about a half-mile north of the Annex. Or you can go to the Alpharetta Police Department (2565 Old Milton Parkway). The Alpharetta location is just west of Westside Parkway, on the south side of Old Milton.

The permit should show up in about a month, give or take a week.

A good site for reference, and which contains the CCW permit filing instructions for each Georgia county:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/

Have fun and stay safe (and get some training!)
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Good information. Gwinnett County used to only take applications on Thursday 8-12. (might have changed)

Comment

Even if you don't carry, get a GWL! Show our legislators what gun rights mean to the citizens of the great state of Georgia!

Comment

Originally posted by Architorture View Post
        Even if you don't carry, get a GWL! Show our legislators what gun rights mean to the citizens of the great state of Georgia!

True, true.... And join NRA..

Comment

And join georgiacarry.org.

Comment

What is a SASE? Self addressed stamped envelope?
            Last edited by Nitram; 04-16-12, 09:19 PM.
            “If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.”
            ― John Gierach

Comment

Originally posted by Nitram View Post
              What is a SASE? Self addressed stamped envelope?
              Yes, that is correct.
              "What's his offense?"

Comment

Thanks Trout8 - that is exactly what I will do. And thanks to others for asking about a SASE - I was rolling over in my mind, what could that mean, what could that mean... and was about to ask!

Comment

And a few more (bear with me) questions... Does one have to have a GWL License to possess a home firearm, and (in addition) then a CCW if you desire to carry or potentially carry? I have a home defense shotgun that I purchased from a local gun dealer many years ago, but have no license for it, nor was I required to get one when it was purchased. Do I need one now for that same gun - or any type of paperwork whatsoever? Would I need to get a GWL for a handgun that I might purchase? Sorry guys for all of the questions & again - thanks!

Comment

Call the county you live in for instructions of where you need to start. I think Trout8 has good instructions.
                    There is no gun registration in Georgia either. Your shotgun is ok!

Also, the old Georgia Weapons License and the Concealed Carry Permit is one in the same. It changed names with law changes.
                    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
                    Last edited by oldgold; 10-09-12, 09:11 PM.

Comment

In most states you only need state-issued picture ID to buy a gun and that's just for the federally-mandated instant background check. Georgia has no waiting period like some states e.g. (Florida).

Basically, so long as you are legally allowed to own a gun, you can buy one - or many - and walk out of the store with all of them once the transaction is concluded and the background check comes back as "approved."

Put another way - in Georgia you don't need squat from the state to keep a gun in your home. No license, no permit, nada. So your shotgun is good to go. You only need a permit to carry concealed.

For details check out www.georgiacarry.org - especially their FAQ. For instance:

Q: I just moved to Georgia. Where do I register my handgun?
                      A: Welcome to Georgia! There is no handgun registration here. People are sometimes surprised to learn that only 6 states have handgun registration. Georgia is not one of them.

Q: How long is the waiting period to buy a Handgun / Shotgun / Rifle in Georgia?
                      A:
                      There is no waiting period for purchasing a firearm in the state of Georgia.

Q: I just inherited / bought a gun from someone in Georgia, do I need to transfer the gun to my name?
                      A:
                      No, there is no state registration of firearms, thus there is no requirement to transfer the firearm in your name, unless it is a NFA Firearm. (NFA is National Firearms Act – NFA Firearms are registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives – better known as the ATF) [T8MF here - like a Thomson Machine Gun or a full-auto Uzi]

Q: What is required to purchase a firearm in the state of Georgia?
                      A:
                      You will need a valid state-issued ID. Many Federal Firearms Licensees will not transfer long guns to out-of-state residents. This is due to the Federal Firearms Licensee’s requirement to uphold your resident state’s gun laws, and the inherent complexity associated with many states. Federal Firearms Licensee’s are prohibited by federal law from transferring hand guns to out-of-state residents.
                      Last edited by Trout8myfly; 10-08-12, 09:53 PM. Reason: gun...not bun...Still no federal lwas on owning buns...thank God.
                      "What's his offense?"

Comment

One other resource that I enjoy both for the writing as well as the information is Kathy Jackson's The Cornered Cat. It's written with women in mind but, believe me, it's loaded with good information that anyone could use who has the least interest in self defense.

If you have never been to my site before you should dive right in and start reading. There are currently over 120 chapters in my ever growing Table of Contents. I cover topics ranging from basic firearm safety to legal issues surrounding self-defense to raising children around guns to the moral implications of deadly force and much, much more.
                        "What's his offense?"

Comment

Originally posted by oldgold View Post
                          No one needs a license in Georgia to own a gun or carry a gun. The permit is to conceal a gun while walking around.
                          This changed a few years ago (only the open carry part, no permit needed to own). The permit is now called a "GA Weapons Permit" which authorizes open and concealed. You can no longer open carry without a permit.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode...11&section=129

I got mine a few months back, pretty simple process.
                          Last edited by true.; 10-09-12, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by true. View Post
                            This changed a few years ago (only the open carry part, no permit needed to own). The permit is now called a "GA Weapons Permit" which authorizes open and concealed. You can no longer open carry without a permit.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode...11&section=129

I got mine a few months back, pretty simple process.
                            My apologies.. apparently I was incorrect and I have edited my previous post. Thank you for the correction, true. I double checked this on the state's website. Although you CAN carry without a permit on your own property, the property in which you work, in your vehicle, or while hunting and/or fishing with the land owners permission without a license. You can also carry a gun in a case(ie to the range as long as it is unloaded when outside of the areas listen above). It is a misdemeanor for 1st offense and a felony for the 2nd offense.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                            X