This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting with Silencers

The State of Georgia House Fish, Game, and Parks Commitee will hear Senate Bill 301 for legalizing the use of suppressors for hunting tomorrow.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...aspx?s=&st=&ps

I'm not asking nobody to do nothing but I'm just sayin I wrote an email to the legislators about how the permanent ring in my left ear could have been prevented had I had access to using a suppressor over my 40 years of hunting. But the truth is I probably wouldn't have been able to afford a suppressor anyway, and waiting over 3 months to use something I had bought and paid for plus an extra $200 tax would not have worked for me in my younger days.

I can think of no good reason that suppressors should be regulated at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin m View Post
      Agree.....Now if we could get the registration and associated tax removed.....

Comment

Originally posted by MariettaMike View Post
        I'm not asking nobody to do nothing but I'm just sayin I wrote an email to the legislators about how the permanent ring in my left ear could have been prevented had I had access to using a suppressor over my 40 years of hunting. But the truth is I probably wouldn't have been able to afford a suppressor anyway, and waiting over 3 months to use something I had bought and paid for plus an extra $200 tax would not have worked for me in my younger days.
        Compounded by the fact we did things like porting rifles and shotguns to reduce recoil but destroyed our ears.

Comment

I can think of one: Sub-Sonic Ammo

I would not want to live next door to this guy. That pile of dirt isn't big enough for the possible margin of error resulting from a loose scope, rear sight or bug bite at the wrong time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQm9rcgnD3w&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Supressed .308 with subsonic Ammo - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by MariettaMike; 03-13-12, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Guys, everyone knows regulations keep suppressors out of the hands of criminals and undesirables.

BTW, I have some beautiful beach front property for sale on the Louisana coast. Easy access to great fishing, low taxes and great mineral rights.
            Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post
              Guys, everyone knows regulations keep suppressors out of the hands of criminals and undesirables.

BTW, I have some beautiful beach front property for sale on the Louisana coast. Easy access to great fishing, low taxes and great mineral rights.
              Just like the Brady Bill and firearms.

Comment

Use a potato.

Comment

Suppressors

I rather like the idea of not using suppressors so that I can hear someone else's shot and have some idea how close another hunter is.

Comment

Do you think there is a good reason why this bill is being refered to as the Poacher Bill down at the Capitol?
                    RoyC

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                      I rather like the idea of not using suppressors so that I can hear someone else's shot and have some idea how close another hunter is.
                      Or when to hit the floor when the hoodlums in the neighborhood start thinking they are gangsters.
                      "To be is to do." - Aristotle
                      "To do is to be." - Niche
                      "Do do be de do be de do.." - Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by RoyC View Post
                        Do you think there is a good reason why this bill is being refered to as the Poacher Bill down at the Capitol?
                        Depends on the ammo: sub-sonic ammo = yes; super-sonic ammo = no

Outlawing sub-sonic rifle ammo would be the right thing to do. Not just for hunting either.

Comment

I think there is a great deal of under estimating how quiet a suppressor really is. You can not judge it from a youtube video. Most conversation happens around 60 db. Yelling is around 80 db. A suppressed .22lr is around 115 db versus 135 db unsuppressed. Hearing damage can start around 110 db. A suppressed .308 is around 145 db or about as loud as a jet taking off from about 100 yards away. Subsonic ammo can reduce that further by about another by about 10 db give or take. Now all of this is relative to where you place the measuring device in relation to the muzzle of the weapon and as any combat vet can tell you the gun make a lot more noise standing in front of the muzzle.

My point is that it is still very loud. You will still here someone shooting near you. The difference is they will be doing less damage to their ears.

And poachers could give a rip about any law restricting their already illegal behavior. I'm sure they don't pull the plug from the tubes on shotguns, only have 5 round mags in their rifles, always use the proper minimum caliber, and wear safety orange when in the field.

Comment

And poachers could give a rip about any law restricting their already illegal behavior. I'm sure they don't pull the plug from the tubes on shotguns, only have 5 round mags in their rifles, always use the proper minimum caliber, and wear safety orange when in the field.

Clairifcation
                            For deer, hogs, and bear in Georgia - there is no requirement for a shotgun to be plugged, maximum capacity is 5.

There IS NOT a limit on # of rounds that a rifle can hold in Georgia.

And yes, rules don't mean a thing to poachers.

Comment

Thanks kevin m

Thanks! That clarifies the question for me.

"My point is that it is still very loud. You will still here someone shooting near you. The difference is they will be doing less damage to their ears."

Comment

Working...
                              X