Ar15 as a home defense weapon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ar15 as a home defense weapon?

Most people don't consider an AR15 for home defense but in this video I discuss those thoughts as well as just showing off one of my favorite guns. I hope you guys enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofKEYpf8aw"]AR15 Home Defense Weapon? - YouTube[/ame]

Just my opinion, but a rifle would be my last choice for home defense.

With that said...the best home defense weapon is one you feel comfortable with and can shoot accurately...

BTW, that scope is not 50 power...

Comment

My opinion is that the AR style rifles are best as perimeter defense weapons. My favorite home defense weapon is a riot shotgun with a full stock and extended tube backed by a few pistols. While the AR15 would work as home defense I feel that in close quarters such as your house having a spread (I load my shotgun with 2 number 4 rounds followed by 2 number 00 rounds and then a final number 4) makes for a more deadly weapon. Then I have a Judge loaded with number 4 shells and then the glocks and then the revolvers in that order...is how I would defend my home. The AR would come out first if I knew someone was coming and I wanted to stop them before they got to the house.
      Just my opinion.
      Live slow
      sigpic
      Creel limit = zero

Comment

oops

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
        Just my opinion, but a rifle would be my last choice for home defense.

With that said...the best home defense weapon is one you feel comfortable with and can shoot accurately...

BTW, that scope is not 50 power...
        I realized I said that and didn't want to do it again... You were very observant and I appreciate the comments. I meant 50mm but I goofed.

Comment

Very valid points

Originally posted by SWMBKRN View Post
          My opinion is that the AR style rifles are best as perimeter defense weapons. My favorite home defense weapon is a riot shotgun with a full stock and extended tube backed by a few pistols. While the AR15 would work as home defense I feel that in close quarters such as your house having a spread (I load my shotgun with 2 number 4 rounds followed by 2 number 00 rounds and then a final number 4) makes for a more deadly weapon. Then I have a Judge loaded with number 4 shells and then the glocks and then the revolvers in that order...is how I would defend my home. The AR would come out first if I knew someone was coming and I wanted to stop them before they got to the house.
          Just my opinion.
          You are so right, I have thought about all of that as well. It seems lately that home invasions are more than one which makes me feel better about multiple rounds being handy. Accuracy is definitely something we all should worry about as well. I love my tactical light attachment because I wouldn't want to turn on a home light when confronting an intruder. You sound very knowledgable and quite capable. Thank you for the awesome comments and thank you for watching!

Comment

It all depends on your home and property and your level of proficiency. I know a lot of people who keep a rifle close as their primary home defense weapon. I'm not sure that it works for me, even though I'd rather have a rifle in my hands than any other weapon. One problem is finding a place to properly train with a rifle for CQB situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Architorture View Post
              It all depends on your home and property and your level of proficiency. I know a lot of people who keep a rifle close as their primary home defense weapon. I'm not sure that it works for me, even though I'd rather have a rifle in my hands than any other weapon. One problem is finding a place to properly train with a rifle for CQB situation.
              Very true buddy and that can be an issue. I practice around my home...no ammo of course. I'd like to think that it helps a little bit to have a plan in mind. Sometimes if it hits me suddenly while everyone is asleep or gone, I go through quick drills by setting alarms ahead of time on my phone so I will forget about them. When it goes off, I am on the move. Seems silly but it can be fun too. Try it for fun. Also check around because I'm planning on taking a tactical defense class as soon as school is out and I'm feeling better.

Comment

A layered defense profile is your best strategy.

Start off with a adequate perimeter warning system

Next, a good old "paint by numbers" scatter gun if the above advanced warning system fails to deter

Lastly, a high capacity semi-auto 40 cal pistol for close quarter communication.

And if all of the above does not erradicate unwanted pests, it is time to break out the big stuff; my Phase Plasma Rifle (40 Watt Range):

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                Simple Goat Herder
                Former NGTO President
                Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Great Choices Buck!

Those are some great choices for sure Buck! You had me at plasma! I love having this form addition Buck...great idea!

Comment

Practicing with something and being familiar with your weapon plus proper form and muscle memory makes the shooter. For home defense, shotgun with #4 high brass so it has less chance of penetrating walls is my personal choice.

That is a sweet AR
                    "Relax...it's just fishing"

Comment

For home defense my choice is a 12 Ga. with low recoil no. 4 buckshot. That's what was issued and has some of the best patterns for a short distance. An Ar has one disadvantage and that is over penetration. If you live in a sub-division or apartment, that projectile may not stop after it goes through several walls.

Oh, Buck mentioned a pistol grip scattergun. Those things are a bitch to shoot making a second shot very difficult. The best I have found is a shotgun with an AR type of stock and a sling.
                      "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by narcodog View Post
                        Oh, Buck mentioned a pistol grip scattergun. Those things are a bitch to shoot making a second shot very difficult. .
                        No argument with you there Bob! They do take some getting use to.
                        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                        Simple Goat Herder
                        Former NGTO President
                        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by James Buice View Post
                          Practicing with something and being familiar with your weapon plus proper form and muscle memory makes the shooter. For home defense, shotgun with #4 high brass so it has less chance of penetrating walls is my personal choice.
                          YMMV....

The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth

My favorite line from the test:

I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
                          Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.
                          "What's his offense?"
                          "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                          ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

I am a pacifist, no guns here. Crooks, criminals, and other bad guys feel free to help yourselves to my stuff. I am unarmed, vulnerable and unprotected.

Yeah, right...........20 ga side by side with #4s, .22Ruger semi auto pistol, and Ruger P90 .45 with Williams FireSights. 2 of the 3 readily available while at home, 1 of the 3 with me most days.
                            BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                            Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Right On!

I love that all of you are gun enthusiasts like myself! I find that owning and knowing how to handle a weapon is very powerful. Knowing that many of you carry or have the ability to carry, makes me feel much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X