X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MariettaMike
    started a topic Chigger Repellent?

Chigger Repellent?

I took a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar the night before and sprayed myself down with DEET before working out on the hunting lease this past weekend and I still got eat up by chiggers. No tick bites even though I killed a couple I found crawling on me, but those chiggers acted like DEET was steak sauce. Used almost a half a bottle of finger nail polish painting the welts.

Is there anything that keeps them off of you when you're dripping wet with sweat?

• Egg Sucking Leach
    replied
    Originally posted by fontinalis View Post
    I like your iconic view of a true quail hunt, although I believe you meant longleaf pine, not loblolly. The removal of longleaf forest (less than 5% of original longleaf forest remains) and suppression of fire have caused a major decline in quail, among other wildlife.
    That, and overstocked timber stands. Quail do just fine in a Loblolly plantation if you burn regularly and keep it to around 60-70 BAF.

Leave a comment:

• fontinalis
    replied
    Originally posted by huntfish View Post
    Jimmy,
    When I first moved here in 89, I was looking forward to checking off "South Georgia Plantation Quail Hunt" on my Bucket List. Visions of horse drawn buggie, watching the dogs searching through lob lolly pines. First covey we encountered, guide had to put foot under bird and launch it. Ended that hunt right then.
    I like your iconic view of a true quail hunt, although I believe you meant longleaf pine, not loblolly. The removal of longleaf forest (less than 5% of original longleaf forest remains) and suppression of fire have caused a major decline in quail, among other wildlife.

Leave a comment:

• huntfish
    replied
    Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
    Russ,

...had a buddy who hunted with Steve Bartkowski years ago out East of Atlanta at one of those outfits...he said the "guides" had to touch the birds on the tail before they would flush...

...a sad commentary...

Jimmy
    Jimmy,
    When I first moved here in 89, I was looking forward to checking off "South Georgia Plantation Quail Hunt" on my Bucket List. Visions of horse drawn buggie, watching the dogs searching through lob lolly pines. First covey we encountered, guide had to put foot under bird and launch it. Ended that hunt right then.

Leave a comment:

• Counslrman
    replied
    Russ,

...had a buddy who hunted with Steve Bartkowski years ago out East of Atlanta at one of those outfits...he said the "guides" had to touch the birds on the tail before they would flush...

...a sad commentary...

Jimmy

Leave a comment:

• huntfish
    replied
    I've had lots of my old birding buds tell me it's the coyote infestation...at these "quail hunt properties" and various hunting preserves, they have pen-raised birds...they send out a truck with hirlings and cages of quail, throw 8-12 of them in a mesh bag, sling them around a few times (they say it disorients the birds and they won't go far from the drop spots)...and an hour or so later when the hunters are guided through the property, they flush when provoked...I have never been on such a hunt, but have been told by reputable friends that's how it works...

Jimmy
    That's exactly how it works. Heck, some plantations even place orange flagging so the "guide" will know where the birds were placed.

There are very few places where you can actually hunt wild birds and it's usually by invite and by knowing someone.

Leave a comment:

• Remoh
    replied
    I guess hunting wild quail will just have to be a memory. We used to do good old fashioned Dove shoots and hunt wild quail. My quail buddy has a nice place in the Carolinas. We had many A#1 quail hunting days, in the old days, wild birds everywhere. Henry had the smartest quail dogs I ever hunted behind. The last time I hunted with Henry we had to buy a box a birds and throw 'em out. It wasn't the same as hunting wild birds. I felt like I was shooting pets.

I think the coyote problem is getting worse. Ground nesting birds are going away. I don't hear Bob White or whippoorwill anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Counslrman
    replied
    Originally posted by Remoh View Post
    Where have all the birds gone Jimmy? Last time I went quail hunting we had to kick the birds to get them to fly (Farm raised)
    I've had lots of my old birding buds tell me it's the coyote infestation...at these "quail hunt properties" and various hunting preserves, they have pen-raised birds...they send out a truck with hirlings and cages of quail, throw 8-12 of them in a mesh bag, sling them around a few times (they say it disorients the birds and they won't go far from the drop spots)...and an hour or so later when the hunters are guided through the property, they flush when provoked...I have never been on such a hunt, but have been told by reputable friends that's how it works...

Jimmy

Leave a comment:

• Remoh
    replied
    That looks like a good product Jesse. One of the ingredients is sulphur based. I have used sulphur powder dusted on my socks and pants. It works

Leave a comment:

• UncleJesse
    replied
    Stumbled up on this today, I have not idea how good it is, they advertise it as No. 1 with the military: http://www.chiggaway.com/

Leave a comment:

• Pappy
    replied
    Bein a barefoot boy in Dekalb County when Hwy 155 to McDonough was a dirt road (4 lane now), livin in a house that Sherman kept his horses in durin the War of Northern Agression and runnin thru the woods almost naked most summers, I never did get chiggers till I became more sofisticated and had to grow up. Now I am very alergik to poison and chiggers.
    I thought about this a lot while I done a bunch of scratchin one time and remembered that Mama always made us takes baths with "Octagon Soap". I think it is Lye based and not like the stuff most use today. I bought me some. It used to be octagon in shape, but not anymore. I use it now, after I go into the woods and ain't got scratchin problems no more.
    Pappy

Leave a comment:

• Counslrman
    replied
    Back when I used to bird hunt a lot in S. GA. during the '50's, my grandpaw would always rub up with camphor oil before he put on his socks, then dust his pants legs and cuffs with sulphur powder and talc. He never had any problems with chiggers and we shot plenty of quail and dove.

Jimmy
    ...posted last July...

Jimmy

Leave a comment:

• Trouty Mouth
    replied
    We shooting these Chiggers now???

Leave a comment:

• Remoh
    replied
    Originally posted by star8 View Post
    A good quick cure for the chigger itch is scratch the bump with a serrated knife blade and dab with salt. Works for poison ivy too.
    Never had a problem with poison Ivy until the last few years. It just seems to jump on me nowadays. I found a product that stops Poison Ivy in it's tracks (post exposure). The brand name is Tecnu, you can find it at the drug store.

Leave a comment:

• star8
    replied
    A good quick cure for the chigger itch is scratch the bump with a serrated knife blade and dab with salt. Works for poison ivy too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X