No announcement yet.

Mandatory gun training?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we need training in Parenting before people have kids. Parents do way more damage to society than those exercising their 2A rights.
    Sounds stupid I know. I say no required gun training although I highly recommend it.
    I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton

Comment

Originally posted by jlhbarnes View Post
      Drivers Ed is only mandatory if you are under 17. Also you can obtain Drivers Ed for free through the schools. Are we going to start offering state provide firearms training? For a driver's license all you have to do is pass an easy written test.

I agree that you should be trained, but to force some to spend a couple of hundred dollars to get the training is the problem. If the state is going to make it mandatory then we should, like drivers ed, provide a way to get it free of charge. And yes with Driver's Ed you are free to spend $$ to get the training from a private source so you don't have to wait for the free programs and it could be the same way with firearms training.

It would be like Hunter Education. We offer free Hunter Education ,material or you can pay via private company.
      I'm all for gun safety but undoubtingly this money will find its way into government pockets.
      We are the music-makers,
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
      And sitting by desolate streams;
      World losers and world forsakers,
      On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Training & 2nd Amendment

" ..... in order to form a well ordered militia." That sounds like training to me.

I really want people to be trained in firearms safety and to have realistic expectations about the consequences of taking another life, legally and morally. Showing your gun "license" should be a prerequisite to buying a gun. The details of how much training is necessary or other criteria I will leave to others. I have just seen too many fools out there. One that comes to mind is a woman in line in front of me in Starbucks with what appeared to be a .32 semi auto in a holster on the back of her hip. The gun barely fit the holster, the snap was undone and close to falling out. She had no business with a gun IMHO.

I have not been a fan of the NRA since Heston "jack booted thugs" comment was cheered at their convention. Bush I and sent out resignations to the NRA about the same time. HOWEVER the NRA used to provide really good, sensible firearms and hunter safety programs. That would be a good place to begin.

Comment

Originally posted by zug buggin View Post
          Guys I'm on the other side of the coin, I understand that many people have extensive weapons training or have grown up like myself in a outdoor family and taught gun safety at a young age. My concern is for people that didnt grow up in a similar situation and dont have a respect for guns, or arent responsible, or simply have watched too much tv or played too many video games and dont really understand what it means to have a weapon and treat it safely and responsibly. Many people can pass a back ground check and buy and get a carry permit but I know many people that shouldnt be allowed to ever touch a weapon. I personally think it should be way more than 8 hours of training. Jessie I understand you and many others would be bored senseless with the training and experience you have, you clearly aren't what I'm worried about, its the person that has grown up in a situation without gun experience that scares me
          Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
          " ..... in order to form a well ordered militia." That sounds like training to me.

I really want people to be trained in firearms safety and to have realistic expectations about the consequences of taking another life, legally and morally. Showing your gun "license" should be a prerequisite to buying a gun. The details of how much training is necessary or other criteria I will leave to others. I have just seen too many fools out there. One that comes to mind is a woman in line in front of me in Starbucks with what appeared to be a .32 semi auto in a holster on the back of her hip. The gun barely fit the holster, the snap was undone and close to falling out. She had no business with a gun IMHO.

I have not been a fan of the NRA since Heston "jack booted thugs" comment was cheered at their convention. Bush I and sent out resignations to the NRA about the same time. HOWEVER the NRA used to provide really good, sensible firearms and hunter safety programs. That would be a good place to begin.
          Those who want mandatory training and requiring a gun license for buying a gun might prefer the law in a state like New Jersey (where both are required) rather than here. Take a look at the crime rates in New Jersey and see how well these government restrictions on our rights have worked.

Like River Pirate, I do encourage "voluntary" training for any new gun owner.
          Last edited by fredw; 02-12-15, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Well Fred, how about SC and MT, they have it and because SC has it they will not honor GA's permit.
            If one ever has taught firearms instruction to anyone, rookie LEO's, or just folks off the street you would understand that it should be required. JMO
            "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Heston "jack booted thugs" comment
              Actually that was LaPierre, unless Heston repeated it somewhere down the line and I don't think so. I too stopped contributing at the time so I recall it well. LaPierre seems to have mellowed since the 90s (maybe membership fell off for a while as a result?) but those comments were just incendiary.

As far as mandatory training, I just don't see it being workable, and would be an incremental step toward making purchasing/owning firearms more difficult. Not a bad idea, mind you, just unworkable and potentially producing some nasty unintended consequences.
              Last edited by terry creech; 02-12-15, 11:13 PM.
              sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
              "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Originally posted by Riverpirate View Post
                I think we need training in Parenting before people have kids. Parents do way more damage to society than those exercising their 2A rights.
                Sounds stupid I know. I say no required gun training although I highly recommend it.
                Before I perform a wedding, the couple has the option of counseling or pay for the marriage license. I don't know how much the license costs, but the majority of local couples opt for the counseling. Part of my counseling has to do with children, child raising and roles in the family. This is not required, and I do not charge for this counseling.

I am pro 2A, but have also seen some people who have no business owning or possessing a firearm, as allowed by 2A. As much as I dislike the thought of idiots and others who have no business possessing a handgun, the thought of 2A being infringed I dislike even more. If the state offered free, optional training, I might have a different point of view. I agree with others about recommending gun training.
                I do not see marriage and 2A as the same. As far as I know, marriage is not a constitutional right. But whether it is marriage, handgun training, or hunter safety, training or counseling would greatly benefit everyone involved.
                BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by narcodog View Post
                  Well Fred, how about SC and MT, they have it and because SC has it they will not honor GA's permit.
                  If one ever has taught firearms instruction to anyone, rookie LEO's, or just folks off the street you would understand that it should be required. JMO
                  narcodog, other than being aware of the South Carolina's reciprocity law (as it pertains to Georgia), I confess I don't know anything about the gun laws in SC.

Is their training required for all gun owners or just those who have a concealed carry permit?

Comment

Voluntary Training

I suspect that voluntary weapons training would be about as effective as voluntary speed limits on 285: Those who are responsible enough to take voluntary training are the least likely to need training.

I grew up in an world where as you walked out the back door of the farm house there was a closet with a .22 and a 12 gauge and if needed, you selected the appropriate weapon and headed on out. Today, in my opinion, too many people think a weapon is their solution to their problems. They believe that simply having a weapon makes them more secure when it fact it doesn't. Just this year in South Carolina, there have been three shooting deaths involving children who took a hand gun out of a drawer or from a purse.

As the old saying goes, you can't fix stupid but there has to be a reasonable way to keep guns out of the hands of idiots.

Comment

As the old saying goes, you can't fix stupid but there has to be a reasonable way to keep guns out of the hands of idiots.
                      How so? Guns are bought on the street every day. Besides the training doesn't apply to purchasing guns, it applies to getting a concealed weapon permit. And you don't need to have a concealed weapon permit to have a loaded gun in the house or in your vehicle.

Comment

Creech procedure:

Rode with my oldest daughter today to the Paulding Courthouse and waited in her car with new baby while she ran in to pick up her WCL (her belated wedding present from dad was a G19). "Gun Culture" rite of passage I suppose.

She and sister shot .22s, .410 and 20 gauge growing up and .38 and 9mm in recent years, all while remaining all girl. Both have attended at least one safety/gun laws/shooting course offered by Douglasville City Police or Douglas County Sheriffs Dept. with fiancées and myself. They have also endured countless safety lectures and spent time with dad, uncle Travis, LE friends and family, etc., shooting at indoor ranges and at the Creech Compound down south. In short, while I will continue to preach safety and still serve as Range Officer Dad when we can shoot together, I'm feeling pretty good about the next generation defending homes and children of their own. Can't wait to shoot with grandchildren in a few years. From our cold, dead hands.....

Comment

Originally posted by terry creech View Post
                          Creech procedure:

Rode with my oldest daughter today to the Paulding Courthouse and waited in her car with new baby while she ran in to pick up her WCL (her belated wedding present from dad was a G19). "Gun Culture" rite of passage I suppose.

She and sister shot .22s, .410 and 20 gauge growing up and .38 and 9mm in recent years, all while remaining all girl. Both have attended at least one safety/gun laws/shooting course offered by Douglasville City Police or Douglas County Sheriffs Dept. with fiancées and myself. They have also endured countless safety lectures and spent time with dad, uncle Travis, LE friends and family, etc., shooting at indoor ranges and at the Creech Compound down south. In short, while I will continue to preach safety and still serve as Range Officer Dad when we can shoot together, I'm feeling pretty good about the next generation defending homes and children of their own. Can't wait to shoot with grandchildren in a few years. From our cold, dead hands.....
                          And that's a wrap.....

Comment

What do you recommend?

Keeping guns out of the hands of idiots goes beyond providing training for folks who want a permit to carry.

Comment

Gun Training??????

This is unconstitutional and therefore I do not, whatsoever support gun training!
                              ~ If nothing goes right, go left.

Comment

We can't keep the ballot out of their hands either. We could debate on which group of idiots do the most harm.

It is alarming though to see the continuing carnage and know that gun rights may indeed begin to erode as a result. Always the actions of a few....

Comment

Working...
                                X