Mandatory gun training?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
    This is a bit of a red herring. It's 'settled law' as SCOTUS has already ruled that the operative language is "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Comment

Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post
      We potentially have a large problem with non-citizens voting. All you need is a SSN or a drivers license to register in many if not most states, that is more than adequate documentation to register to vote. There needs to a "non-citizen" designation' for DL when appropriate.
      Please, that little requirement of having a birth certificate to get a SSN kind of filters out those people born in Canada that want to get a vote down here. I think you have been reading some of that fund raising stuff. At the end of the warning that the end is near, there is a please send money.

General observation, never trust those that want your money! They will say whatever it takes to vacation in Florida on your dime.
      RoyC

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!

Comment

SB 73 doesn't rankle me as much as the other two. I've read the bill and just thought that, well, we can be detained for driving without a license until it's verified that we do indeed have one, so.... Just stirring, er, saying.
        sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
        "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Originally posted by terry creech View Post
          SB 73 doesn't rankle me as much as the other two. I've read the bill and just thought that, well, we can be detained for driving without a license until it's verified that we do indeed have one, so.... Just stirring, er, saying.
          You can be detained for driving without a license once you have been stopped for something else, without probable cause that you are driving without a license your not stopped just because you look like you don't have a license.

The law gun law was written to prevent indiscriminate stops " just to check" that you have a permit. 73 wants to undo all of that. I personally don't want this, and I have worked in the field for a long time.

Better yet do away with the permit all together, it's kinda a mute point anyway and at this point it's nothing more than a revenue generator....

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxyaks View Post
            You can be detained for driving without a license once you have been stopped for something else, without probable cause that you are driving without a license your not stopped just because you look like you don't have a license.

The law gun law was written to prevent indiscriminate stops " just to check" that you have a permit. 73 wants to undo all of that. I personally don't want this, and I have worked in the field for a long time.

Better yet do away with the permit all together, it's kinda a mute point anyway and at this point it's nothing more than a revenue generator....
            It would be a good idea to do away with a gun permit but then what would happen when you travel to another state? You would be in violation and subject to arrest in all but two states.
            Since I am a retired LEO I'm eligible for a CCW authorized by the House bill 218, I think. I can carry in every state including NYC, and Wash DC. I pay $15.00 per year or thirty if I qualify two both a pistol or wheel gun. I don't mind this because every year I travel to many states chasing the spotted dace.

As it stands now a holder from GA can not carry in SC and several other states because GA does not have a testing program. So, lets say you fish the Chattooga and you pull up in the Hwy 28 parking lot and for what ever reason there sits an LEO. You are seen with a concealed weapon, you could very well get your butt busted.

Is it fair heck no but that's life. Sometimes the Sheep dogs have to get in line with the sheep to protect them...
            "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by narcodog View Post
              It would be a good idea to do away with a gun permit but then what would happen when you travel to another state? You would be in violation and subject to arrest in all but two states.
              Since I am a retired LEO I'm eligible for a CCW authorized by the House bill 218, I think. I can carry in every state including NYC, and Wash DC. I pay $15.00 per year or thirty if I qualify two both a pistol or wheel gun. I don't mind this because every year I travel to many states chasing the spotted dace.

As it stands now a holder from GA can not carry in SC and several other states because GA does not have a testing program. So, lets say you fish the Chattooga and you pull up in the Hwy 28 parking lot and for what ever reason there sits an LEO. You are seen with a concealed weapon, you could very well get your butt busted.

Is it fair heck no but that's life. Sometimes the Sheep dogs have to get in line with the sheep to protect them...
              Last time I checked (fished santee cooper a few years ago) you are allowed to carry in SC while hunting or fishing it's one of their exemptions to their carry law, it even specifies when enroute to and from fishing location

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws.aspx?MenuID=CWP

Section 16-23-20
              It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any pistol, whether concealed or not, except as follows:

(1) Regular, salaried law enforcement officers and reserve police officers of a municipality or county of the State, uncompensated Governor’s constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators.

(2) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty.

(3) Members of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits.

(4) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing........

Comment

Good point. But what about traffic stops where they're just checking for proof of insurance, suspended license, etc.? I absolutely hate those.

I know driving is a privilege and gun ownership is a right, but open or concealed carry, since some would say we have to "earn" that "privilege" through good non-felonious conduct, passing the background check, well....

I just say know and abide by the law, then conceal, and conceal well.
                Last edited by terry creech; 02-16-15, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Maybe a training course and test requirement for guns would do a lot of good and weed out a lot of people. I mean, just look at how rigorous and effective the testing is to operate the most deadly machine in the world - the automobile.

DMV test administrator: "You wanna operate this ultimate killing machine? Sure, no problem. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for you to take this test. Can you drive around in a parking lot, stop when I say 'stop', and parallel park? What's that you say? You've never even heard of parallel parking?"
                  I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
                  -Lefty Kreh

Comment

A coworker went through the SC course last year to get his permit. He described the course as "a joke."

Comment

Mr. Buck , I agree they shouldnot be allowed to vote nor procreate. Mr. Raptor, My renewal for my gun permit aswell as concealed carry, cost me 79.25

Comment

All this gun talk has me feeling paranoid so think I'll retreat to the Creech Compound this weekend where...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob M View Post
                          A coworker went through the SC course last year to get his permit. He described the course as "a joke."
                          As compared to what?

There would be few if any of these basic courses that would impress me. Then again 10 years of handgun competition where I fired 75,000 to 80,000 rounds per year might have something to do with my perspective.
                          RoyC

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob M View Post
                            Exactly my point. Read "revenue generator".
                            I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
                            -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Better stop saying that. Those creatures in the legislature on the other side of the isle love the concept as much as their liberal cousins, they just use different terminology and line different pockets. And they can be better salesmen. But there I go again....

I guess we really don't need a political forum here.
                              Last edited by terry creech; 02-18-15, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trouter23 View Post
                                Exactly my point. Read "revenue generator".
                                As stated before....

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
                                Of course not....You didn't pay a fee......

Comment

Working...
                                X