No announcement yet.

Mandatory gun training?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the sign Terry. Back several years ago my college roomie's widow was living out in the country without any close neighbors. I told her to take a 5 gallon bucket and shot it several times then hang it on a post by the entrance to her driveway. Subtle messages can be powerful.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

My brother got that sign at a gun show I think. I can't find one anywhere but would love to have a couple.
      sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
      "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

The best sign along those lines was a hand lettered sign stating

"TRESSPASSERS FOUND HANGING ROUND HERE AFTER DARK WILL BE FOUND HANGING ROUND HERE COME MORNING"

And everybody who knew the property owner knew he meant it.
        BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
        Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

My dad used to tell about a sign in a farmers watermelon patch that said "one of these watermelon is poisoned." Can't swear to the following but he says he and his fellow thieves, er, friends, then wrote "now there's two" on it.

Comment

Originally posted by terry creech View Post
            My brother got that sign at a gun show I think. I can't find one anywhere but would love to have a couple.
            Any sign shop can make you some. It's not that expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by terry creech View Post
              My dad used to tell about a sign in a farmers watermelon patch that said "one of these watermelon is poisoned." Can't swear to the following but he says he and his fellow thieves, er, friends, then wrote "now there's two" on it.
              That's funny Terry

Comment

When I was a kid I shot competitive skeet. It can be an expensive sport so I loaded my own shells. I could load a box of skeet shells for about a dollar with reclaimed shot gun shells.

There was a cemetery outside of town. I think it was called Trinity Gardens. Big Cemetery. The deal there was a grave keeper and he would shoot you if you...

I loaded some shells with toilet paper. Steve my high school buddy and I devised a plan. We got a few of our high school buddies and a case of beer. The deal was to park and walk across the cemetery (about 150 yards) and touch the crosses at the back in the dark of night.

I was the shooter so I got there early to hide behind the Crosses. Steve brought the group. When the group got close to the crosses I started shooting toilet paper. The group took off running. Steve pretended to be shot. Everybody ran to the car but, they didn't realize Steve still had the keys in his pocket and then they hopped out of the car and started running towards the main road.

Steve and I drank the beer and picked them up on the way back to town. Theywere a couple miles down the road.

Comment

Ah, The Plan!

How many really great memories begin with those very words:

" .. my high school buddy and I devised a plan. We got a few of our high school buddies and a case of beer. ..."

Comment

What about instead of requiring a training course people just have to pass a proficiency test? Instead of having to pay a bunch of money to take a class that you may or may not even need you can just go to a gun range and demonstrate that you can safely handle and shoot a weapon. If it can be conducted at a LE range then the cost, which shouldn't be much, could be added to the cost of the permit. Or public range operators approved by your county or the state or whoever, can sign off on it and charge a small fee.

It would still keep getting permitted affordable and would drastically cut down on the number of idjits running around in public with guns, kinda like the idjit up here in Helen not that long ago that decided to sit on a bench in the middle of town and play with his gun resulting in a woman being killed. And I don't think it's really much of an infringement to prove that you have a basic understanding of how to handle and use the deadly weapon that you are about to be turned loose on the public with. I say that as someone that does support the 2nd Amendment, but also as someone that doesn't want me or my son to get shot because some d!#$h!t who's never handled a gun before decided to get a carry permit and now he thinks he's Wyatt Earp.

Comment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed...

Militia = all able bodied men from the ages of 16 to 60. (Check historical references.)

A free State = A state of being, not necessarily a political State. However, if one wishes to claim that this refers to a political state, then on emust alos submit to the idea that these United States are made up of 50 sovereign states (political entities which enjoy status as sovereign.).

The right of the people. . . = I think this pretty much nails it as an individual right.

Shall not be infringed. . . Can you imagime the outcry if the same rules that are applied to firearms ownership were applied to anything involved in the first amendment? MSNBC would have a forking hissy fit!

Look back to the Declaration of Independence to see why the right to keep and bear arms was specifically mentioned in the Bill of Rights.

" Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. . ."

The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Can you imagine the outcry from the media if the same restrictions on ownership of firearms were to be imposed upon them as members of the free press?

Okay, Terry. You may now delete my post and ban me from this forum for a prescribed period of time.
                      If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by SwinginIt View Post
                        What about instead of requiring a training course people just have to pass a proficiency test?
                        Some European countries require proficiency tests just to issue a hunting license and it's just not safely handling a firearm. When I took my hunter safety class in Alaska as an 11 year old (1974) I had to pass a proficiency test just to get my card. But again, I had some of the finest teachers since they were USAF Snipers.

Comment

Agreed!

" Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. . ."

But kindly note it says noting about shooting the bastards, just throwing them off. We have the vote which at the end of the day is far more powerful than any weapon. We need to learn more about how to really make our votes count and understand that voting for a President every four years makes you a contributor!

Comment

Okay, Terry. You may now delete my post and ban me from this forum for a prescribed period of time.
                            That ain't political, it's historical!

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
                              Can you imagine the outcry from the media if the same restrictions on ownership of firearms were to be imposed upon them as members of the free press?
                              So for the print media:
                              • You can have all the printing press you want but the government controls the ink supply.
                              • A press may not eject paper automatically; it must be based on the operation of a hand trigg...er...controller. To operate a fully-automated press requires a special stamp from the Federal Government and incremental fees.
                              • Presses can be concealed but in some states can be operated in the open.
                              • The final newspaper can be no shorter than 18 inches. Magazines can print on 9-inch stock.
                              • In some states you must wait three days before ordering and installing your press.
                              "What's his offense?"
                              "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                              ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

When they come for you guys I'll be holed up in the Creech Compound down south, where there's no infernal Internet, lawyers are buried 12 feet deep (why?), and we think the gubmint oughtta be able to take a joke.

That, and it's supposed to be 75 degrees in Twin City on Sunday. I've taken big brothers place as patriarch and, as such, his red recliner...

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=4030&cid=85

Comment

Working...
                                X