Executive Action on AR-15 Ammo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executive Action on AR-15 Ammo

Well, better get your 5.56 M885 ammo for your AR's while you can. Looks like the current administration is going to attempt to ban them via executive action. If they cannot get black rifles out of American's hands via an assault weapon ban, they will neuter law abiding owners use of these guns by impacting availability of cheap ammo.

PS: this is not intended to a political thread, just an FYI!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2560750
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

It all starts with just the first step....make no mistake - this is just the first step, I hope our leadership comes to it's senses
    RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Good luck keeping the politics out of this one. The issue has been around for about 4 years now, but folks can make up their own minds. The request for public comment on a proposed standard for exemptions is unusual since it is not required. Linked are the request for comment and an article from Guns.com. In spite of some headlines, the M855 ammo appears to be still under the original exemption until all this is sorted out.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...g_purposes.pdf

http://www.guns.com/2015/02/18/under...-on-m855-ammo/
      Last edited by JCK76; 02-26-15, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
        Well, better get your 5.56 M885 ammo for your AR's while you can. Looks like the current administration is going to attempt to ban them via executive action. If they cannot get black rifles out of American's hands via an assault weapon ban, they will neuter law abiding owners use of these guns by impacting availability of cheap ammo.

PS: this is not intended to a political thread, just an FYI!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2560750
        If you read the background, the only issue is steel core 5.56 ammo and lead core is not an issue. Issue is the sole result of free market capitalism at work. Gun maker does not give a rats about ammo maker's problems.

BTW, if ammo is not cheap, do not blame your government. Free market forces can be a bitch at times, can they not.

An observation from a fellow gun owner, some of these publications are just about winding you up and then getting your "Donation".
        Last edited by RoyC; 02-26-15, 10:19 PM.
        RoyC

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!

Comment

Publish & Beg

I go along with RoyC and the "other" JCK. This same article has popped up several times and has the same affect as the fire department setting your house on fire and then offering to put it out after you make a big donation to the fire department.

Comment

Still ambivalent on this one, but the slippery slope is something to bear in mind. At least if it's executive action it can be overturned by next prez, provided he is so inclined. Of course, if it's a particular "she" then it may be a while.
            sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
            "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

The nature of the order is what gets me. The justification is that 5.56 "handguns" exist and that 5.56 should be reclassified as a handgun round...which at the point makes it an "armor piercing" round. But if those standards are applied across the board then other rounds such as .410 and .22 should be classified as a handgun round...which opens up a whole other can of worms. So one of two things is true in this case.

1)A blanket reclassification of ammunition based on these guidelines for handgun ammo is coming (which, according to the memo, is not happening) or
              2)5.56 is being arbitrarily reclassified as handgun ammo (even though it clearly is not) as a way to further regulate it without passing legislation

While the first would have more immediate tangible impacts on gun owners, the second is much more alarming. An appointed desk jockey arbitrarily and inconsistently changing laws to avoid Congressional debate just doesn't seem like a great idea to me...
              The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Originally posted by fishinbub View Post
                The nature of the order is what gets me. The justification is that 5.56 "handguns" exist and that 5.56 should be reclassified as a handgun round...which at the point makes it an "armor piercing" round. But if those standards are applied across the board then other rounds such as .410 and .22 should be classified as a handgun round...which opens up a whole other can of worms. So one of two things is true in this case.

1)A blanket reclassification of ammunition based on these guidelines for handgun ammo is coming (which, according to the memo, is not happening) or
                2)5.56 is being arbitrarily reclassified as handgun ammo (even though it clearly is not) as a way to further regulate it without passing legislation

While the first would have more immediate tangible impacts on gun owners, the second is much more alarming. An appointed desk jockey arbitrarily and inconsistently changing laws to avoid Congressional debate just doesn't seem like a great idea to me...
                First you should read this...

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...g_purposes.pdf

If you already have not.

You will find that this review is required by 1968 and 1986 laws, nothing new going on.

Also you will read that originally the steel core 5.56 was exempted, good.

Now we have companies building and selling 5.56 semi auto handguns, so the prior exemption is being reviewed, on going process.

How will it turn out, I do not know. But this was put into motion by the makers of the 5.56 semi-auto handgun builders. Are they members of trade groups that know all of these laws and regs by heart? Yep. Do they care if the ammo makers are put into a bind? No.

Free market capitalism at work, God bless it.
                RoyC

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!

Comment

Incrementalism.

Fortunately, Meaux and I have no children who will suffer from this.

(BTW, Terry, you're the one who volunteered to moderate this thread. Enjoy this one. You're gonna have your work cut out for you in keeping this one non-political and without personal assaults.)
                  If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

president bans 556 ammo with ex/order

yippy... My AR and Mini14 now useless/worthless... you can keep what you have... but can't reload, buy or sell America's most popular ammo.

Comment

Can't you shoot .223 out of them?
                      "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                      -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by fishinbub View Post
                        But if those standards are applied across the board then other rounds such as .410 and .22 should be classified as a handgun round...
                        308 is an AR platform round as well... and a AR10 hand gun just as feasible as a AR15 hand gun...

so my winchester model 100, AR10, AR15 and Mini 14's all facing possible extinction...

scary stuff...

Comment

Armor piercing only, correct?

Comment

Already being discussed here: http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...d.php?t=106203
                            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I merged the thread from Off Topic with this one....

(BTW, Terry, you're the one who volunteered to moderate this thread. Enjoy this one. You're gonna have your work cut out for you in keeping this one non-political and without personal assaults.)
                              At least I didn't start this one!
                              Last edited by terry creech; 02-27-15, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X