Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HK USP Problem (stab in the dark)

Hey y'all,

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here... hopefully someone has experience with HK USPs.

I have a HK USP .40 cal with an interesting problem. I've had it since 2006 and I've cleaned it after every range visit. After about 100 rounds at the range the other day, I went to the pull the trigger and the gun did not fire. Upon closer inspection the slide had a couple millimeters of play - it would move back and forth easily (I didn't even have the touch it - I could just tilt the gun back and forth and the slide would move). Also the slide would not lock back at all - with the mag in or without.

I field stripped the gun and I noticed the slide was difficult to get off. I thought for sure it would be a problem with the recoil assembly and springs. Notwithstanding, everything looked fine, nothing was obviously broken. I put everything back together and guess what? The gun seemed to work fine - the slide was firmly in place (no play) and it locked back properly (I did not fire it and have not since the malfunction). I decided to load a mag and see if I could use the slide to cycle some rounds through with no issues. After racking in the first load the problem came back!! The slide had play and would not lock back!

Upon taking it apart and putting it back together the problem went away! You're probably wondering - where are the pictures? Honestly I can't replicate the problem on command so that's why I don't have pictures.

I have searched the net extensively and have not found anyone else that has this problem. I'm at a dead end and I don't know what to do. I'm concerned I have a $799 paper weight now. Anyone have any ideas?
    Instagram: jkflyfish

In all seriousness, find a good gunsmith. It's worth spending the money to have a professional take a look. We're not talking about a dodgy hammer drill.
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Yeah, gunsmith.
      sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
      "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Anyone have one they recommend not too far from Suwanee?

Anyone know a gunsmith that does a lot of HK work?

Thanks y'all.
        Instagram: jkflyfish

Comment

The nearest shop to Suwanee is the Johns Creek Gun Range on McGinnis Ferry. Give them a shout and see if they can help.
          http://www.johnscreekgunrange.com/

HK says the only factory repair shop is in Columbus, GA.
          https://hk-usa.com/faqs/does-hk-have...ir-facilities/
          "What's his offense?"
          "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
          ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

I agree, gunsmith is your best option. Moving forward, though, there's a wealth of information on forums, and there's a forum for darn near everything. Be an active participant, ask questions, answer questions, comment, etc. I've used SIGTALK for several years and learned a ton about SIG firearms in the process. There may be others but http://www.hkpro.com/ is specific to H&K firearms. You may want to post your questions there.
            "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Dave's Guns on Buford Hwy in Norcross has a good smith.

Comment

If I had a puzzling problem like that and had access to the manufacturer's shop there is absolutely no doubt as to which way I would go to make sure that you had your problem and concern competently solved...

Comment

Working...
                X