Mossberg 500 Youth 20 Gauge - Fixed Modified

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mossberg 500 Youth 20 Gauge - Fixed Modified

My dear ol deddy is not a turkey hunter, he bass fishes instead. I was telling him about the big movement of folks switching to 20 ga and 410 with TSS for turkey hunting.

He pulled out an old mossberg 500 youth pump 20 that I learned on back in the 80's, and said, 'Here! Take her for a spin!' Only drawback is it's a fixed modified choke barrel.

Any idea what would be a good shell to experiment with? Would the TSS or hevi shot be decent with a modified? Anyone tried Longbeards? LB's ain't worth a flip with a mod choke in my 12's.

I wouldn't worry about the choke. Either would work fine, I lean towards HeviShot.

Comment

Federal's new TSS loads would probably be your best choice. They use the flight control wad. Don't know what kind of range you'll get but it's worth a few patterning shots to find out.

Comment

Let us know if you can find any good 20 gauge loads before the season comes in. Federal Heavyweights in a 3" #7 is a bad little load, but they have become just about impossible to find. I'll probably have to call Nitro this week, take the kick in the teeth, and place an order with them.
        "She ain't revved till the rods are thrown!"

Team Maddog

Comment

.20 gauges are for jakes.
          sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
          "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Originally posted by terry creech View Post
            .20 gauges are for jakes.

Comment

Wow!

Terry just eloquently roasted my Azz right here on NGTO!

Comment

Comment

The Mossberg 500 is like the Jeep of shotguns. Aftermarket everything.
                  Probably get another barrel cheap with choke threads
                  Catch the energy
                  Release the potential

Comment

Originally posted by Brotherbear View Post
                    The Mossberg 500 is like the Jeep of shotguns. Aftermarket everything.
                    Probably get another barrel cheap with choke threads
                    This is what I'll have to do if I stick with lead, or take it to a gunsmith to get the factory barrel threaded. If I could actually find some Federal TSS I'd like to try them first, I'm hearing tale of a mod choke throwing 200 in 10 at 40.

Just for kicks and giggles, today I shot a 3" Win XX #5 through it as is at 30 yards and only put about 15 pellets in a 10 inch circle. Not good.

Comment

Clearly you have a defective, worn out firearm, I will gladly take it off your hands for $50.00, let me know where to pick it up.
                      RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
                        Clearly you have a defective, worn out firearm, I will gladly take it off your hands for $50.00, let me know where to pick it up.
                        It may not be patterning good for turkeys right now, but it still shoots skeets and doves just fine!

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
                          I picked up a 700 ADL 243 with a similar comment while in the woods. Heard guy down the road shoot and here comes this doe into the food plot and falls over dead. About an hour later, guy comes walking by bitching about his rifle and that he wouldn't give it away to his worst enemy. I offer up $50. SOLD! Here's the $50 and I take possession of it.

As we start walking back to camp, tell him that his doe is laying in the food plot, stone dead.

Comment

For reference, I’ve attempted to upload some photos of 20 gauge patterns with “heavyweight” number 7’s. The 1 1/2 oz 3” load resulted in 169 pellets in a 10” circle at 40 yards. The 1 1/8oz 2 3/4” load put 116 in a 10” at 40 yards. The redeeming factor on the 2 3/4” shells was the even pattern.

These were shot from a standing position with a youth 870 at 40 yards with a .565 Truglo choke. I’m well aware that these aren’t the great numbers some people are getting out of Tss #9’s with a polished barrel, but I’ve honestly never even cleaned this barrel.

I stumbled into 2 boxes of 1 1/8oz 2 3/4” federal heavyweights this week. I know the pattern is close to the magic 100 pellet count minimum a lot of people go by, but I think the pattern is just even and dense enough to keep me from fighting with Nitro.
                            Attached Files
                            "She ain't revved till the rods are thrown!"

Team Maddog

Comment

Originally posted by huntfish View Post
                              I picked up a 700 ADL 243 with a similar comment while in the woods. Heard guy down the road shoot and here comes this doe into the food plot and falls over dead. About an hour later, guy comes walking by bitching about his rifle and that he wouldn't give it away to his worst enemy. I offer up $50. SOLD! Here's the $50 and I take possession of it.

As we start walking back to camp, tell him that his doe is laying in the food plot, stone dead.
                              I bought my friends muzzle loader for $100 cause he wanted a better one, having not killed a deer with this one over several seasons. Killed an 8 pt that weighed in at 213 and offered to sell it back to him for 200. He's like, why the inflation? I told him "it works now." Wound up whacking a few deer with that cheap smoke pole.

Comment

Working...
                              X