Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon...cold smoked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Salmon...cold smoked

    Had a lot of guidance from the fellers at Atlanta Smoke House in Marietta. Don't have the equipment they have or the product but they gave me a general outline (been buying tons of stuff there since they opened)...and it came out alot better than ever expected. Used Bellies...this is way better than gravlox and melts in your mouth.








    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

  • #2
    Very nice. Any general tips and tricks? I know a guy who's been considering building a cold smoke house who's probably going to see this thread


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

    "Stop Whining"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
      Very nice. Any general tips and tricks? I know a guy who's been considering building a cold smoke house who's probably going to see this thread


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Used a bullet smoker. Very Very Very low heat. Below 94f is key if you can get it lower the better.The way gramps used to do it was wood shavings in a Port-a-John like smokehouse with plenty of distance between the wood and the fish: fillets hung long ways around bars. I was able to manipulate my shiittay craftsman with wind and got lucky. Total time was around 10hrs and never got it above 80 which was a miracle. Tips and Tricks: use an oil drum and do it in the winter. Smouldering wood added at the point of near death otherwise it will cook. Smokehouse is a goal in life...also a curing room.
      We are the music-makers,
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
      And sitting by desolate streams;
      World losers and world forsakers,
      On whom the pale moon gleams.

      Comment


      • #4
        Oh Man Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!
        " When you are retired, everyday is Saturday "
        David

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
          Used a bullet smoker. Very Very Very low heat. Below 94f is key if you can get it lower the better.The way gramps used to do it was wood shavings in a Port-a-John like smokehouse with plenty of distance between the wood and the fish: fillets hung long ways around bars. I was able to manipulate my shiittay craftsman with wind and got lucky. Total time was around 10hrs and never got it above 80 which was a miracle. Tips and Tricks: use an oil drum and do it in the winter. Smouldering wood added at the point of near death otherwise it will cook. Smokehouse is a goal in life...also a curing room.
          A Weber Bullet...Smokey Mtn. Cooker?

          How did you keep the temp so low?

          Comment


          • #6
            good stuff!

            Looks pretty good. I grew up in Alaska and my dad smoked salmon all summer. He still sends me 5-10 pounds in ziplock bags every year. He smokes it in such a way that it comes out almost like Jerkey, which is the way I like it. I'm biased, but there is nothing better.
            http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              We used to have a huge walk in smokehouse back home that was like a little log house. You hang the Salmon (not really near a Salmon source but we'd get it occasionally) up top where the smoke is stronger and smaller fish near the bottom. Used birch chips and light em on the floor and let it go for a good 2-3 day. Sometimes you let it hang longer and it turns into a Jerky, but we'd usually have jerky left over from sun drying in the summer.

              My uncle tends to the family land now. A few summers ago, he left for a fishing trip and a family friend came to feed the dogs. Anyways when he got back, the smokehouse, the barn, sauna, pigpen, chicken coup, dogs (they where chained up) Where all burnt to a crisp (not the first fire). We got Ukrainian neighbors (gulaged people) and have been having land disputes with them for the past 50+ years so we know who did it.

              The only thing they left was the fence and the main house basically. Lost nets, Skis, snowshoes, trapping gear, and some old heirlooms rifles. Everything been rebuild except the smoke house was downsized to a little portajohn smoker. Still good, but you don't have the decades of oil and smoke thats seep into the walls.

              Its funny you revived this thread as I've made another batch of bellies for the holidays. The thinner piece are very close to Jerky consistency.




              Enjoy reading your blog...keep up the good work
              We are the music-makers,
              And we are the dreamers of dreams,
              Wandering by lone sea-breakers
              And sitting by desolate streams;
              World losers and world forsakers,
              On whom the pale moon gleams.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
                Smokehouse is a goal in life...also a curing room.
                I have a inopt commercial grade upright freezer that can be your starter kit for an amazing price - $0.00
                Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post
                  I have a inopt commercial grade upright freezer that can be your starter kit for an amazing price - $0.00
                  Tha would be perfect but moving soon and space will be limited in the new digs.
                  We are the music-makers,
                  And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                  Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                  And sitting by desolate streams;
                  World losers and world forsakers,
                  On whom the pale moon gleams.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X