Helen German Food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helen German Food

Taking the family up this weekend. Thought it would be fun to take the kids to some good, authentic German place since my in-laws are German. Any recommendations??

Bodensee restaurant.

Comment

If your in-laws will be with you they will either be a) shocked b) dismayed or c) will laugh their German kiesters off when they see Helen. I'm betting on option c).

I hope you prepare them for the experience.
      "What's his offense?"
      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
        If your in-laws will be with you they will either be a) shocked b) dismayed or c) will laugh their German kiesters off when they see Helen. I'm betting on option c).

I hope you prepare them for the experience.

My Father in Law is Austrian and laughs every time I mention I was in Helen. Take them to Huddle House and let them have local food.
        I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Huddle House. Especially late night. The entertainment value will be off the chain.
          Last edited by buckman1; 06-26-17, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I tend to agree with the folks on here - don't take a German to eat in 'German' restaurant in Helen. Drive down into Cleveland and take them to El Campesino for a Margarita and Pescado Frita.

Comment

Originally posted by splitshot171 View Post
              Bodensee restaurant.
              Agree 100%. Bodensee is excellent! Many authentic dishes. Some of the best German dishes I've had anywhere. I highly recommend it even to a German native.
              And, no, I don't know the owners. I just really like that restaurant.
              These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
              -- Dick Blalock

Comment

Correction.....they are of German ancestory. Not from the mother land. Bodnese looks like it will work. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
                  Agree 100%. Bodensee is excellent! Many authentic dishes. Some of the best German dishes I've had anywhere.
                  This is good to know. I've stayed at the Helendorf across the street several times for the Hoot on the Hooch and never gave this place two thoughts.
                  If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

been to Helen probably over a hundred times, still have yet to find any "GOOD" food in that town!

Plenty of good bee!r but the food........................

we did hit one place last weekend called "Catch 22" they call themselves a "Gastropub" tasty but still nothing in town to compete with Asheville.

Comment

I am a fan of Troll Tavern myself. Wurst and red cabbage is what I usually get. I spent 2 years in Germany and ate lots of German food. The food in Helen is a reasonable facsimile at best but still tasty.
                      " When you are retired, everyday is Saturday "
                      David

Comment

Troll Tavern is a family favorite. I like the Nacacoochee Tavern, decent pizza and beer and right across from our friends at the Unicoi shop. Hoffer's for breakfast. Yonah burger headed out is usally a tasty after a day of fishin. Bout it.

Comment

Poor Helen ...........

Poor Helen. Everyone likes to poke fun at her including myself! But. Back when there was a little mountain town where all the work had gone elsewhere and the whole town was on it's way to being a wide spot in the road where an old town used to be. But this little town hitched up their lederhosen, pulled their Tryolian hats down snug and went to work to recreate themselves as "an alpine village". And it worked! So a tip of my funny hat with the shaving brush to the good people of Helen who did not give up and run. There are a lot of communities who could learn a great deal from their experience.

--jk--

Comment

Many thanks for the Bodensee rec! Two years in Germany...it took me half a year to discover that German food was not all "grease and potatoes!"

There was a good restaurant in an allee downtown, but they closed their doors.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

I believe my friend Steve Guthrie owned Troll?
                              Catch the energy
                              Release the potential

Comment

Working...
                              X