Homemade hot dogs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade hot dogs

Last year I made brats. And the final product was truly outstanding. But, the stuffing experience wasn't. The sausage horns (stuffing tubes) that are for the KitchenAid mixer are a real pain to use. The grinder attachment works great. The stuffing tubes don't.

So, that alone has sort of deterred me from making sausage for a while. But, not any more. After having stuffed brats with the KitchenAid stuffer attachment as well as with an actual sausage stuffer, I can say unequivocally that the difference is like night and day. Waaaaay easier. To stuff a batch of sausage with the KitchenAid tubes takes about an hour. With one of these stuffers, about 15 minutes - and I'm slow. This experience was so much easier, better, and faster than last time when I made brats that I could see doing this almost every week now.

After much research, I learned that the Kitchener sausage stuffer is absolutely exactly the same as the top rated LEM stuffer that sells for $148, except that the gear is nylon instead of metal. However, after reading a lot of reviews, unless the machine is abused, the gear will last just as long. The Kitchener has been selling for about $100: https://camelcamelcamel.com/Kitchene...uct/B0046AOFKG But, just recently, they were marked down to $59.99. I dug around for a coupon and found one. So, I bought this stuffer for a total pretax cost of $49.99.

Sausage stuffer for $59.99: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9319_200449319
    $10 off $50 coupon code: 253360.
    Total cost: $49.99 plus tax (free ship to store)

The $10 off coupon code expires tomorrow on 4 July.

Alright, enough talk. On with the pictures.

The hot dogs, buns, and mustard were all from scratch. The beef flavor of the hot dogs really shined. The snap of the hog intestine was very nice. I used hog intestines instead of buying sheep because that's what I had and I thought they turned out just as good as had they been a bit smaller.

After being smoked at 190F-220F for 90 minutes:

Mexican corn. If you've never made Mexican corn, try it. It's awesome.

I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
    -Lefty Kreh

AND homemade buns/mustard? I don't know if I could go back to a regular store bought hot dog after this. Looks incredible!

Comment

...!!

...Those look marvelous...wonder what you could do with some ground wild hog...??

...a little shaved Havarti cheese and some Kraut with caraway seeds in it...??

...frosty mug...!

Blessings!

Jimmy
      Last edited by Counslrman; 07-27-17, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Wow!!!!!!!!! Looks great!!!!!!!!!!
        " When you are retired, everyday is Saturday "
        David

Comment

Very nice. What's the difference with Mexican corn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by Trouter23 View Post
            The sausage horns (stuffing tubes) that are for the KitchenAid mixer are a real pain to use.
            Precisely why I also bought a hand crank...but mine also doesn't grind anymore so I have to use a manual grinder.

Nice doggys...also enjoy a good tubed meats post.

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post

A. The kernel colors are different.
            B. It's called maize
            C. You listen to music with a heavy horn section when you eat it. also usually a squeeze box involved.
            We are the music-makers,
            And we are the dreamers of dreams,
            Wandering by lone sea-breakers
            And sitting by desolate streams;
            World losers and world forsakers,
            On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Nice work! I have done sausage but never dogs I must try! However as someone who s baking challenged the buns impressed me the most. The look light and fluffy unlike the bricks I would most likely create.
              http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Nicely done!!!o had a hot dog fresh out of the smoker when I did a job in a kosher plant. It was nothing like store bought. Too bad I couldn't travel with the brisket they offered me.
                "Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!" - author unknown

Comment

This is awesome! Off topic: wonder how venison hot dogs would be? I've got a ton of deer meat, and gotta find a way to get rid of it... The season is near...

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post

Lime juice on corn. Then, thin layer of mayonnaise. Then, roll in crumbled cotija or feta cheese (or even parmesan) and tap on counter to remove excess. Dust with cayenne or other favorite ground chile.

It's incredibly incredible.
                    I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
                    -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
                      This is awesome! Off topic: wonder how venison hot dogs would be? I've got a ton of deer meat, and gotta find a way to get rid of it... The season is near...
                      Up the fat ratio. I usually cut it with pork. I go 40%venison 40%pork shoulder (untrimmed) then 20% old fat trimming from the freezer.
                      We are the music-makers,
                      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                      And sitting by desolate streams;
                      World losers and world forsakers,
                      On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Originally posted by Trouter23 View Post
                          Lime juice on corn. Then, thin layer of mayonnaise. Then, roll in crumbled cotija or feta cheese (or even parmesan) and tap on counter to remove excess. Dust with cayenne or other favorite ground chile.

It's incredibly incredible.

Man that sounds good. I was thinking maize like gout said but saw pictures of silver queen. That explains the char

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

i honestly don't care for all beef hotdogs, they are usually too firm and the taste isn't the same as what i grew up with, the normal cheap blend of chicken lips and pig assholes.

That being said, these look delicious!
                            Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

Wow, dang.
                              Mouth watering

Comment

Working...
                              X