Chanterelle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chanterelle?

So is this a chanterelle or not? I thought the false gills were supposed to run down to the stem.
    Last edited by flyfisher062305; 09-20-17, 07:22 AM.
    "Everyone blows their money on stupid stuff. Just choose which stupid you want and roll with it."

Mark

Originally posted by flyfisher062305 View Post
    So is this a chanterelle or not? I thought the false gills were supposed to run down to the stem.
    Look up smooth chanterelle
    “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Definitely a chanterelle. Many different phenotypes exist including completely smooth ones!
      If fishing is religion, Fly Fishing is high church.

-Tom Brokaw-

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation guys! With all this rain, I'm seeing these things everywhere now.
        "Everyone blows their money on stupid stuff. Just choose which stupid you want and roll with it."

Mark

Comment

Nice! When you harvest them do not pluck. Cut at the stem to insure mycelium growth. Insects burrow in them but no harm just more protein...watch out for spiders.

They reduce down to a fraction of what you get so make sure you pick a bunch. Chef can probably elaborate on this but I throw them in a pan then wait for all the water to come out, then evaporate. You can probably use it as stock though. It takes a while to cook them but I do not cut them up just dust them off with a brush then throw them in. Add butter and garlic near the end also good with sour cream (add to pan also in end).
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Appears to be a chanterelle. I say "appears". When it doubt do not eat and consult an expert.

I like to split them long ways to make sure there's no bugs and wash them in water.

Then pan fry with olive oil, butter and garlic. Serve over pasta or toast.

Comment

Mark their locations on your GPS. They usually show up in the same places year after year. Wonderful things.

Comment

Luckily, I won't need to be doing any GPS marking as these things, as well as some goldens, are everywhere on and near my property now.

Mark

Comment

We should all be so lucky!

Comment

Working...
                  X