Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping Cookware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Camping Cookware

    Hey everyone, having a great time on this forum learning all kinds of tips and tricks for the next time I go out fishing.

    The plan is actually to go out for a big trip in a couple weeks time, when my buddies get off work for 3 weeks. We are going to be staying in one of their cabins and then going to a really good fishing spot that is about 800 meters away, so this year we thought we might do a little cooking on the water side. I got a really good stove to use that is safe, light and durable so now we just need some cookware to take with us.

    We don't mind taking a good amount of gear as we have slept there before, just never cooked food there. I think what would be best would be some titanium cookware as it will hold the heat really well and it also not that heavy, so we could take a pot/kettle and some pans without it being a major issue. Any brands that you all recommend, or other ideas that might work better?

    Thanks in advance

    I was looking for a nice cast iron pan to take with us when I stumbled across lots of used titanium cookware being sold on http://www.used.forsale/titanium-cookware-used-for-sale and at the price, I had to grab it. Thanks for all the advice everyone, I am very excited for our trip.
    Last edited by MasterofTrout; 09-17-17, 01:06 AM.

  • #2
    Sounds like fun. What are you looking to cook? This will help determine what cookware you'll need.
    I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
    -Lefty Kreh

    Comment


    • #3
      Hopefully some fish haha. We don't want to be bringing in raw meats with us, so all of that will have to come from us. I recently got my trapping license so I plan on making some simple snare traps while we are out, hopefully I can get a rabbit or something small like that in case we don't get any fish. Oh, and coffee of course which is why we will need a kettle or a pot for heating up water. A stew pot would be considered, but the areas is probably going to be under an open fire ban and the little stove is not going to work for a huge pot.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you're not traveling much, hiking in, etc.... I would just get cast iron. Durable, versatile, cheap (relative to titanium), etc. Obviously much heavier than cast iron but if you're trying to bet Jeremiah Johnson, why would you even bring that new-fangled space ship material cookware to camp anyway?

        Missed the fire ban part. I would still get cast iron and just buy a camp stove (not a backpacking stove/burner). Or just build a fire carefully. Did Jeremiah Johnson listen to the federal gub'mint? Nuff said.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MasterofTrout View Post
          Hopefully some fish haha. We don't want to be bringing in raw meats with us, so all of that will have to come from us. I recently got my trapping license so I plan on making some simple snare traps while we are out, hopefully I can get a rabbit or something small like that in case we don't get any fish. Oh, and coffee of course which is why we will need a kettle or a pot for heating up water. A stew pot would be considered, but the areas is probably going to be under an open fire ban and the little stove is not going to work for a huge pot.
          Just an fyi on the trapping part. Not much you can legally trap in Georgia except for fur bearers and that season doesn't open until December I believe. Snares, again in Georgia, are highly restricted.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fishtacos View Post
            If you're not traveling much, hiking in, etc.... I would just get cast iron. Durable, versatile, cheap (relative to titanium), etc. Obviously much heavier than cast iron but if you're trying to bet Jeremiah Johnson, why would you even bring that new-fangled space ship material cookware to camp anyway?

            Missed the fire ban part. I would still get cast iron and just buy a camp stove (not a backpacking stove/burner). Or just build a fire carefully. Did Jeremiah Johnson listen to the federal gub'mint? Nuff said.

            A good alternative to cast iron is a carbon steel pan. They are lighter than cast iron but work just as well. Lodge makes a nice one. I take mine with me camping all the time.

            I use it at home too. For a steak you when you can't grill there is nothing like a carbon steel skillet and a 500 degree oven.

            https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...rsus-cast-iron


            TOAKS Titanium 750ml Pot is nice and light combined with a Emberlit Fireant and you can't go wrong.

            For a bigger billy can I have Zebra pot
            Last edited by Jason; 09-08-17, 09:42 AM.
            “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” - Aldo Leopold

            Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

            'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

            "Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas

            Comment


            • #7
              REI is having a special bonus program this weekend if you are member and can get to a store. I always get good advice at the two stores in N. Atlanta.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fredw View Post
                Just an fyi on the trapping part. Not much you can legally trap in Georgia except for fur bearers and that season doesn't open until December I believe. Snares, again in Georgia, are highly restricted.
                Aw hell, I thought there would be some exemptions like rabbits and squirrels, but it seems the only except animals are beaver and coyotes. Guess our fishing skill better be up to par.

                Comment


                • #9
                  ...we always carry a 12 by 16 stainless steel grill grate...it's relatively light and we set it up on rocks in the fire ring to grill with fire coals...

                  ... stainless is the best alternative to cast iron if your objective is saving weight, IMHO...

                  ...when we camp at the West Fork, we take cast iron...Cath thinks it's the best stuff...heats evenly, cooks our food well, and is versatile...

                  Blessings!

                  Jimmy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
                    ...we always carry a 12 by 16 stainless steel grill grate...it's relatively light and we set it up on rocks in the fire ring to grill with fire coals...

                    ... stainless is the best alternative to cast iron if your objective is saving weight, IMHO...

                    ...when we camp at the West Fork, we take cast iron...Cath thinks it's the best stuff...heats evenly, cooks our food well, and is versatile...

                    Blessings!

                    Jimmy
                    These are all grate (ha!) points. I also love bringing a small grate to cook over a fire, it's crazy easy and a lot more fun, to me, than cooking in a pan. Some of my best meals have been steaks or trout cooked this way over a fire with family and friends.

                    For an 800m jaunt, Ti is not worth the cost. And also, I thought one of the points against it was that it doesn't heat evenly? Al is far cheaper but also doesn't heat very evenly. I like the carbon steel idea. I've got two lodge cast iron that I use at home, but will look into one of those carbon steel ones for camping since it's gotta be a good bit lighter.
                    I have a GSI non-stick 12" pan with folding handle that I picked up at REI, it works pretty great, I've used it for a streamside trout a time or two, and done lots of other stuff in it. Not expensive, and very easy to carry.
                    Resident Tenkara Nerd

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you're planning on building a fire streamside, consider smoking your fish. All you'd need to bring is your knife, fire kit, and salt.

                      Clean the fish (takes about 30 seconds per fish) as you catch them. Streamside, let the fire burn down to coals. Place two green sticks across the coals about a foot above them, suspended by rocks or wood. Salt trout cavity, place cavity side down over smokey embers, remove when flesh flakes.

                      It might be the easiest and best fish you've ever had.
                      Last edited by Trouter23; 09-13-17, 01:01 AM.
                      I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
                      -Lefty Kreh

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Trouter23 View Post
                        If you're planning on building a fire streamside, consider smoking your fish. All you'd need to bring is your knife, fire kit, and salt.

                        Clean the fish (takes about 30 seconds) as you catch them. Streamside, let the fire burn down to coals. Place two green sticks across the coals about a foot above them, suspended by rocks or wood. Salt trout cavity, place cavity side down over smokey embers, remove when flesh flakes.

                        It might the the easiest and best fish you've ever had.
                        I did something similar to this while on a 20 mile trip in CO over labor day and it was great.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Along the lines of what trouter said, there is usually no shortage of wood for you to make skewers with that will impart a nice smokey flavor.
                          We are the music-makers,
                          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                          And sitting by desolate streams;
                          World losers and world forsakers,
                          On whom the pale moon gleams.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X