Pulled pork with pork butt bacon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled pork with pork butt bacon

Smoked a couple of pork butts last week.

Sorry that the pic doesn't have much of a shot of the pulled pork.

Before I smoked it, as always, I trimmed off the fat cap. This time, I decided to cure the fat cap in a mixture of Grade B maple syrup and kosher salt for about 24 hours, then cook it to see how it would turn out, since the trimmings will inevitably have a little meat in them. Wow, was it good. Try it!

Rinsed, patted dry, then sliced 1/4-inch thick.

Baked at 400F for 25 minutes.

Finished off the meal with some pumpkin bread. This is one of my new favorite desserts and probably my favorite pumpkin application.

I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
    -Lefty Kreh

Real bacon.
    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

My mother loves the Trader Joe's pumpkin bread mix available only this time of year
      Might give that bacon a try sooner than later.
      Catch the energy
      Release the potential

Comment

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Pure awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        " When you are retired, everyday is Saturday "
        David

Comment

Would you mind sharing your pumpkin bread recipe? I have some pumpkin (grilled on the egg - gives it a delicious smoky flavor) left over after making a pumpkin pie for Tgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbait View Post
            Would you mind sharing your pumpkin bread recipe?
            How much money you got?

Kidding. Try this one. It's an excellent recipe and close to what I did. I worked on it and changed some things to create something that I've been after for almost ten years (and finally nailed it), but this is a great recipe.

Adjust the spices to your liking. I don't have pumpkin spice. Instead, I used a combination of spices to achieve that particular flavor profile I've been after. But, if you have pumpkin spice (I'm not sure I've ever had it before, so I can't speak to how good or bad it is), by all means, use it. Or, 86 the cinnamon and pumpkin spice and add in your own spices and amounts. This a good place to really bring some great flavors to this bread.

Oh, by the way, I call mine a pumpkin bread, but in reality, it's a cake. It just makes some feel better about eating more than one piece. Lemme know how it turns out!

Pumpkin Cake

Yield: serves 12
            Prep Time: 15 minutes
            Cook Time: 30 minutes
            Total Time: 4 hours (including cooling)

Ingredients:

2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
            2 teaspoons baking powder
            1 teaspoon baking soda
            1 teaspoon salt
            1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
            2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
            1 cup (240ml) canola or vegetable oil
            4 large eggs
            1 cup (200g) packed light or dark brown sugar
            1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
            1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
            1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350F (177C) and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. I always use this glass pan.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together in a large bowl. Set aside. Whisk the oil, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a mixer or whisk until completely combined. Batter will be thick.

Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-36 minutes. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you find the top or edges of the cake is/are browning too quickly in the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil.

Remove the cake from the oven and set the entire pan on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
            Last edited by Trouter23; 11-21-17, 10:56 PM.
            I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
            -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Working...
            X