Dog shoots hunter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog shoots hunter?

I dunno...either the safety wasn't on or something is amiss. I know very little about shotguns but...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral

Former LSU OL Matt Branch Lost Leg in Hunting Accident; Friend Says Dog Shot Him
    TIM DANIELS
    JANUARY 9, 2019

Former LSU Tigers offensive lineman Matt Branch lost his leg following a Dec. 28 hunting accident and remains hospitalized in the intensive care unit at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.

Micah Heckford, a friend of Branch, told Brian Broom of the Clarion Ledger on Tuesday that a dog jumped onto the truck bed that Branch was sitting on and accidentally stepped on a shotgun's safety and trigger.

"The gun shot," Heckford said. "Everybody looked up. The first thing I saw was Matt and within two to three seconds he realized he was hit."

He explained members of the group quickly transported Branch to a road where they could meet with firefighters, who began treatment on the wound.

"I think that's when it hit me how serious it was," Heckford told Broom. "It was at that point in time I realized how much he had bled. His pants were just soaked in blood."

Along with the left leg amputation, Heckford said Branch has undergone several surgeries requiring the stay in the ICU, but he's otherwise expected to make a full recovery.

Branch played for the Tigers from 2009 through 2011 after a redshirt year in 2008.

Happened to a guy in TX some time ago where a dog somehow discharged a shotgun (or rifle, canít recall) from the back seat. Injured him pretty badly as well.

Sounds like keeping a chamber loaded around dogs unless youíre actually holding the gun is becoming increasingly unwise....
    sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
    "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Then again, some dogs just like guns. My neighbor across the hill behind me has a spaniel he quail hunts with. Whenever I shoot a squirrel off the birdfeeder she comes running over the hill like clockwork to the sound of the gun. Usually even picks up the squirrel and takes off.
      sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
      "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

The bit that has me scratching my head is this:

,,,that a dog jumped onto the truck bed that Branch was sitting on and accidentally stepped on a shotgun's safety and trigger.
        Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post

Is that possible?
          It bet it was not on safety and the dog hit the trigger causing the shot gun to go off.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post

Is that possible?
            Yes, a lot of shotguns have a push button safety on the trigger guard. A paw could push it and tick the trigger.

Unless your actively hunting the gun should be unloaded or opened up.

Comment

Originally posted by b5fish View Post

Yes, a lot of shotguns have a push button safety on the trigger guard. A paw could push it and tick the trigger.

Unless your actively hunting the gun should be unloaded or opened up.
              Absolutely possible! The safety for most semi auto shotguns is directly behind the trigger on the back side of the trigger guard. It actually blocks the trigger from being pulled. If an active dog jumps on the trigger guard, it would be very easy for his next move to pull the trigger. Bad choice for a hunter to lay a loaded gun down. Worse to lay that same gun with the muzzle pointed toward anything he wouldn't want to shoot, especially humankind. Equally bad choice to leave it where a dog could knock it over or step on it. A trilogy of errors.
              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

I don't know how many folks learned gun safety. But, my grand dad trained me when I was just a young 'un. One of the first things I learned is to never have any kind of ammunition in the gun until you are ready to hunt. I made that mistake once, and was sent "back to the truck". Never did that again.

Comment

It's not the first time that its happened and will not be the last. As the RETIRED preacher said, the paw probably hit the safety and then enter the trigger guard pulling the trigger.

Comment

So which is the greater hazard around loaded shotguns? A dog or a former US VP? 8- ) Sorry, just could no longer restrain the impulse! Either way, as someone already said, never have a live round in the weapon of any type until you are ready to fire.

Comment

Working...
                    X