How long til Daytona ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long til Daytona ?

...ok...college football is done...when does Nascar start ? ... February, I'm told...I need something to watch while I nap...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Practice has been going on since Homestead. I'm ready too. CFB over til fall, Pro FB is of no interest, basketball even less. Spring training and opening of baseball season still a while away.
    NASCAR Clash and qualifying is Feb 10.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
      ...ok...college football is done...when does Nascar start ? ... February, I'm told...I need something to watch while I nap...

Blessings!

Jimmy
      I thought I was the only one that used the races as white noise while I sleep on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Races on the tube are like basket ball on the tube: Watch the opening 3 laps and the last three laps!

Comment

Yeah, I am with JK on this one. I cannot sit there and watch cars go round and round in a circle on my TV screen. I am sure it is a completely different experience watching it live.
          Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
          Simple Goat Herder
          Former NGTO President
          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Exactly Professor Buck! Being live at any race is so very, very different than what they have on the tube. My personal favorites are races where they turn left and right, plus go up and down hills. Excellent facility on the east bank of Lanier called Road Atlanta. Excellent track with many good viewing areas. The club races are not expensive and pit passes are cheap. They have modified things removing the pit exit from immediately after the last turn to another exit point. Drivers tell me to line up for that right turn downhill section is to aim straight at the bridge support on the left side of the track and just hang on! Being at the track live for any type of race is all about the sounds, the smells and a realistic sense of the actual speeds.

Comment

I went to a fair number NASCAR races coming up. We went to Atlanta before they reconfigured the track. At the time Atlanta was the last or one of the last races of the season. We would make a weekend of it, watching qualifying and the other races. At the time, a weekend pass would get you into the infield, pits, just about free run of the track. We got autographs, talked with the pit crews, got up close with many of the drivers. The trackside experience now has vastly changed, but is still much more than "they makin' a left turn....they makin' a left turn" and "trouble in turn 3!" John is right. The sights, sounds, smells, being able to feel the power and speed makes being there a lot more interesting than TV.
              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

I used to really enjoy nascar. Now all the drivers have scripted interviews. No personality anymore. Yawn!

Comment

...let's see how many times I can mention my main sponsor in my answers to your question(s)...

...I pay as careful attention to pit strategies as I do the race itself...the guy with the fastest ride don't always get the checkered flag...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Sleeping is a great idea. NASCAR has not been good since the early 90s. Now its all bout the driver drama and sponsor talk. Much better racing out there these days though. Any event at Road Atlanta> any NASCAR event.
                    Last edited by Philhutch80; 01-23-19, 05:07 AM.
                    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                    -Chinese Proverb

At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.
                    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                    -PH

Comment

Boy, you talking about exciting, I stumbled up on some Formula E road racing this weekend. No motor noise just electric motors, not good.
                      Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Formula E is really unusual to make a giant understatement! I have found that if you mute the sound, it's really great racing! But the sound makes me think of a giant slot car set. And the pit stops are hysterical! If you have not seen one of these, watch one long enough to see some pit stops. But as we move to ever more electric motor vehicles, Formula E is something of a social and technical proving ground. There were similar "what the fiddle?" comments when GTP sports cars with Audi Diesels started racing. The comments stopped when they won Le Man.

Comment

You are so right, it's like watch giant slot cars. It will be interesting (not wishing for it to happen) if one of the cars crashes and burn. Lithium burns very intensely.
                          Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Working...
                          X