No announcement yet.

Local Weather Folks Suck at Their Job!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Weather Folks Suck at Their Job!

We may have a few hottie meteorologists strutting their stuff on TV every day, but they sure do suck at their job! This latest snow storm forecast was a total bust. My cabin up in Blue Ridge did not even get any measurable snow. Government, school systems, and businesses make significant decisions based on their forecasts, and today they missed the mark yet again.

Discuss!
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

For real lol. Seems like if they predict snow, it ends up not snowing. But if they predict little to no snow, we end up with a freaking blizzard. Regardless of what happens though, lots of bread and milk is bought.

Comment

Maybe the bread and milk industry pay the forecasters when they need more money?

Regardless, it's gonna be a really cold night.

Comment

Having watched people trying to predict the weather for long time, it seems that forecasting snow is probably one of the most difficult forecast to get right in this part of the world. Recent history has demonstrated we are much better off when they predict snow and it doesn't happen than when snow does happen whether it was predicted or not. In the flatter terrains that I still call home it is much easier to deal with than the hills of north GA. Of course, half of our citizens didn't move there from up north and think they know how to drive in snow.
        Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Lots of money wasted putting brine on the roads this go around.
          Last edited by natureman; 01-29-19, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
            We may have a few hottie meteorologists strutting their stuff on TV every day, but they sure do suck at their job! This latest snow storm forecast was a total bust. My cabin up in Blue Ridge did not even get any measurable snow. Government, school systems, and businesses make significant decisions based on their forecasts, and today they missed the mark yet again.

Discuss!
            Buck try education before ridicule. Coming off as a snowflake is not a good look for you.
            We live in what is technically classified as a sub-tropical environment with portions of North Georgia, SC & NC being classified as temperate boreal rain forest. To meet that designation you must get over 55in of rain a year. We easily check that box even in Atlanta. Add elevation to that and you have another variable because then it makes it into what is called a Montane Rainforest. Both of these tend to have higher humidity and more moderated temperatures vs a traditional equitorial rainforest. You throw in having weather fronts coming from three different possible directions and the variables for forecasting become to great for the current forecasting algorithms to hit 100% all the time. This is why there are over 30+ forecasting models they use which are algorithm based. When the majority rules they tend to go with that.
            Where we got screwed was the low pressure moved north up the front line into western NC prior to the cold air coming in as well as there just was not much moisture associated with this storm. Those are two of the three major baseline factors to help create snow in the SE.
            I was looking forward to seeing more than a few flurries that were flying earlier. PS- where are these supposed beautiful weather women you speak of(Dagmar doesn’t count as she gon!)???
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

Sorry Phil, I forgot that you are the smartest man in the room. If I was so consistently wrong in my job, they would fire me. Now if this chick is giving the weather here, I would care less how accurate her forecast was. hqdefault.jpg

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
              Simple Goat Herder
              Former NGTO President
              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

She could tell me the volcano in my backyard is going to blow right after we have 6 earthquakes, and I'd be on the edge of my seat the entite time, just hoping the cable didn't go out!

I also find it a joke that we cancel everything before anything even happens... I mean fortune telling, they have to realize that they aren't the ref bribing, ball flatenning NFL and have to actually WAIT for things to unfold.

It sure did ruin my plans for the day.... except that spencer got to stay home and hang with me, which is about the best way we could think of spending a day off from school.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                  Sorry Phil, I forgot that you are the smartest man in the room. If I was so consistently wrong in my job, they would fire me. Now if this chick is giving the weather here, I would care less how accurate her forecast was. hqdefault.jpg
                  Awareness is the first step towards acceptance my friend. Better late than never lol.
                  Isnt that the Mexican girl that does weather?
                  #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                  -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                  -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                  -PH

Comment

Comment

I was skipping through some news sources and saw a couple of references to "Chicago will be colder than the Antarctic!"

Well duh....it's summer in the Antarctic where temps can climb above freezing.
                      "What's his offense?"
                      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post

Awareness is the first step towards acceptance my friend. Better late than never lol.
                        Isnt that the Mexican girl that does weather?
                        Si, Senorita Yanet Garcia from Las Noticias on Televisa Monterrey.

"What's his offense?"
                        "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                        ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Retired. Don’t care.

And my wife makes us watch Glen Burns anyway....
                          sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
                          "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Glen Burns is a bass fisherman anyway so who cares? And just to pI$$ off a few of our associates here, some of the forecasting difficulty is linked to climate change. Kindly note I said CLIMATE CHANGE and did not suggest any particular cause. The old weather forecast models are are based on historical records so the base data from which projections are made are skewed. Further, weather changes leading to rain or ice or snow happen faster than in the past. And let us not forget that most media outlets are in the business to make money, money is made from advertiser revenue, and they can charge more for advertising if ratings are higher. If you are curious about coming my way and fishing, your best weather options are the Fox outlet in Greenville, SC in the early morning with Nichol Papay. And she is not hard to look at either! The second and more deeply localized to the Hendersonville are is a local AM radio station (1600am) and a guy named Paul Sporanza. His forecasts are 100% spot on everytime. Both are of course available on-line. Sporanza also works at the local Ace Hardware so you know he is a good guy!.

Comment

Originally posted by FMJHP View Post
                              For real lol. Seems like if they predict snow, it ends up not snowing. But if they predict little to no snow, we end up with a freaking blizzard. Regardless of what happens though, lots of bread and milk is bought.
                              I spotted a frozen body by the side for the road. He had a loaf of Wonder Bread under his arm and was still clutching a gallon of 2%.
                              All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

Comment

Working...
                              X