Prettiest drive from Marietta, GA to Asheville, NC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prettiest drive from Marietta, GA to Asheville, NC

My ladyfriend and I are headed to Asheville, NC for a wedding for my oldest friend. We're flying in to Atlanta on Wednesday, staying the night in Marietta, then headed to Asheville the next day, mid-morning or so. What's the loveliest drive? We plan on taking our time but I won't have my flyfishing gear with me so there (sadly) won't be any stops along the way.
    "Of course, the most elegant experiments require no statistics at all." - A. Zale, Leader, U.S. Geological Survey Montana Cooperative Fishery Research Unit

You might consider taking I 575/GA 515/US 76 to Blue Ridge then go thru on to GA 60 North to Mccaysville and Copper Hill, TN. Take US 64 east (4 lane) and follow that thru to intersection of I40 in NC. Beautiful mountains and water views. Just my .02 worth.

Enjoy however you go.

Kelly Hinson

Comment

Kelly makes a great recommendation. But if I may offer an alternative, take 64 into NC but in Murphy, rather than staying on 64, take 129 through Marble and Andrews and on into the Nantahala Gorge. You have great views of the Nantahala main stem (and likely rafter and kayakers) and later after clearing the Gorge, you parallel the Tuckaseegee. Lots of places to stop along the way for a nice lunch, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
        You have great views of the Nantahala main stem (and likely rafter and kayakers)
        Gorgeous. So **** lush! Reminded of the drive from Big Sky down to the Gallatin Valley. Except with a lot more trees. And ferns.

"Of course, the most elegant experiments require no statistics at all." - A. Zale, Leader, U.S. Geological Survey Montana Cooperative Fishery Research Unit

Comment

Forgot one thing. The prettiest part of the Marietta to Asheville drive is seeing May-Retter in your rear view mirror! 8- ) Sorry, just could NOT help myself!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the May-retta end of the trip,but there is some beautiful scenery any way you go. Not really a wrong way, maybe go to Asheville one route and return another?
            BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
            Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

I like to go 85N to 985N which turns into 23 through Clayton Ga and Franklin NC and then continues as 23/441/74 through Dillard, Sylva and Waynesville NC, then right on 40 West above Waynesville to Asheville. Downtown Waynesville wouldn't be a bad stop for lunch. Trip should take a little over 3.5 hours.

Comment

fishnpreacher made a great point about going north via one route and south via another. That said the fun thing about mountain driving is you can take the same route there and back but the views are distinctly different.

Comment

My wife and I have done that trip many times to visit her sister in Asheville. Take I-575/515 to Blue Ridge. Once you cross the Toccoa River, proceed to the next traffic light(60 Spur) and make a left turn(a Dunkin Donuts is at the intersection). Go to the next STOP sign and make a right towards Murphy, NC on the 60 Spur. This will end at the 64/74 intersection, and make another right towards Murphy. Continue thru Murphy, Marble and Andrews. After passing Andrews, the road will continue on thru the Nantahala Gorge(beautiful scenery). Continue on NC 74 past Bryson City, Dillsboro, Sylva and Waynesville. About 5 minutes past Waynesville, NC 74 will veer right to I-40 towards Asheville.
                  Some places to consider stopping at. In Andrews, there is a winery/brewing place called Calaboose Cellars/Andrews Brewing Company. Terrific vibe...very relaxing. In Bryson City, there is the High Test Deli. Great and reasonably priced sandwiches etc. Across the street is a place called Lester Sports and Variety. It does not look like much, but the guy sells some interesting flies. Also in Bryson City is the Fly Fishing Museum of the Southern Appalachian Museum. Waynesville is also a great place to stop. Their Main Street has some interesting stores as well as places to eat. Good luck. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Too late for Knotslippin', but for future reference nobody mentioned probably the best road of the bunch to get to Asheville. The Blue Ridge Parkway. Pass through Dillsboro and up through Cherokee on 441. Just north of Cherokee get on the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Asheville. Some of the prettiest views in the Smokey Mountains. You will not go fast as it is tourists going about 35 mph at best, but that is not the point. The point is the views. The 90 miles will take about 3 hours. If you don't want to go the whole way, there are several places along the way you can get off and be on your way.
                    If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Originally posted by KnotSlippin' View Post

Gorgeous. So **** lush! Reminded of the drive from Big Sky down to the Gallatin Valley. Except with a lot more trees. And ferns.
                      I would much rather have more sparse trees and bigger mountains though. Such a fun drive down that valley!
                      EG hit the nail on the head... I would go up 575 and hit 76 over to 441 and then split off onto the BRP near Franklin(?). It puts you on the BRP at it's highest elevation at just a touch over 6,200ft I believe.
                      #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                      -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                      -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                      -PH

Comment

Working...
                      X