No announcement yet.

A Flyfisherman's Christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best non-fishing thing I ever bought from Orvis was my waxed leather briefcase. Made by Gokey, it has served me well during my 20 year consultant career and will definitely see me through to retirement. Bash Orvis all you want, but they do sell quality stuff built to last a long time and they stand behind what they sell. Count me as a fan!

PS: I own / fish Orvis bamboo rods that are older than I am.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Orvis,

Ahhhh Buck, couldn't bash them as my penchant for their rods & reels shows through. Just looking at the Oyster opener. As I have a forge or two and an almost unlimited supply of railroad spikes, reckon I should go into business. Should be able to turn these out @ a rate of 8-10 per hr, but not being Orvis branded, bet the price would be much lower. TRW

Comment

Orvis reels, yes. Dog beds, no. I'll not have a bed that cost more than the dog.
        sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
        "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Great post! I enjoyed that thoroughly.

I think I've received no fewer than six Orvis catalogs in the past month. I often thumb through the color catalogs for a good laugh (the $3,000 knives are my favorites), but generally they go straight into the trash.

The "Orvis Fishing News and Sale" or whatever the newspaper-style deal is called is sometimes worth checking out.

I do own a low-end Orvis rod and a Battenkill Bar Stock reel, both of which are excellent. And both of which, added together, cost about as much as the leather and canvas trash receptacle.
          "Let your hook be always cast. In the pool where you least expect it, will be fish." -Fortune Cookie

Comment

I get about 6 orvis catalogs per day.

Sure a lot (most) of their stuff is overpriced. But sporting wise - at least fly fishing wise - they make good rods (both high and low end). Can't speak for the reels. Gear is fine if a little overpriced. Tom Rosenbauer is about as knowledgeable as anyway and, shockingly enough, does not seem to be ego driven.

I have one orvis rod. Rarely spend money there. In fact I only do if I have one of those "Buy $50, get $25 off". But the bashing of Orvis is comical. It's become the cool thing to do.

So think about that overpriced knife when you string up your 'boo rod with the hardy reel or, better yet, that Scott 7wt with the Nautilus reel to catch half dead trout in marginal water.

**** wastebasket - how impractical!

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
              a) Time is not an issue with me.

b) I'm sure that due to this post....Orvis just had a run on Bay Rum.

c) With all the money I save by not buying this stuff.....I'll be able to afford a heart bypass....or two.

Happy Holidays to all.
              LOL DANG DUDE!!!! i JUST about spit out my coffee

Comment

Originally posted by fishtacos View Post
                Tom Rosenbauer is about as knowledgeable as anyway and, shockingly enough, does not seem to be ego driven.
                Good point. Ridiculous stuff aside, their actual fishing equipment and especially their books, fishing and tying guides, podcasts etc. are top notch.
                "Let your hook be always cast. In the pool where you least expect it, will be fish." -Fortune Cookie

Comment

My problem with Orvis is simply this... When there items were English made with the Hardy Bro.'s they stood for quality and craftsmanship. I respect that and have no problem with these items (prolly why Buck's case and boo rods have lasted so long). But somewhere along the line they started to do like a lot of company's did and move their operations to China but they still try and present an image of the astute affluent fly fisherman. I understand the company is a life style and itís all about the image I just find it pathetic that they do all that and sell a bunch of Chinese made over priced crap. For those that like it and want to present that image more power to you and yall have at it but it ainít for this ole boy. I mean no disrespect for those who enjoy their items but I don't like ANYONE who in my opinion may tarnish or corrupt fly fishing and what it means... but I reckon it means something different to everybody..
                  "There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." - Theodore Roosevelt

"That old whisky drinking, bluegrass listening, Carhartt wearing, all night roaming rambler he'll always be." Yonder Mountain String Band

Official GATOR HATER

Comment

I hear you loud and clear. However, if a newbie picks up a fly rod--made in China or anywhere else--and hits the water, I consider that a win for everyone in the fly fishing and conservation communities.

Comment

The main reason I haven't bought a new Hardy Proaxis (which I really like) is the fact it's made overseas. At least TFO's overseas rods have a price that reflects where they are made.

Until my attitude changes, it's Scott and Winston (green stick) for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Me Courageous View Post
                        The main reason I haven't bought a new Hardy Proaxis (which I really like) is the fact it's made overseas. At least TFO's overseas rods have a price that reflects where they are made.

Until my attitude changes, it's Scott and Winston (green stick) for me.
                        AMEN!!! But watch those low end Winston's there made overseas as well... Sole reason why my rods are Scott, every one made is from CO and no were else...
                        "There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." - Theodore Roosevelt

"That old whisky drinking, bluegrass listening, Carhartt wearing, all night roaming rambler he'll always be." Yonder Mountain String Band

Official GATOR HATER

Comment

"Overseas"

Just a wee Google Earth update here. Both England and China are "overseas". 8> ) To my knowledge the only Hardys made in the USA are greasy burgers...................

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                            Just a wee Google Earth update here. Both England and China are "overseas". 8> ) To my knowledge the only Hardys made in the USA are greasy burgers...................
                            I was thinking the exact same thing John, but decided it was not worth it to post! But I still say the world's greatest fly reels were made by British engineers with bad teeth!

PS Thanks alot man, now you got me jones-ing for a Hardy Thick Burger!
                            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

You both are splittin hairs... every body know when "overseas" is used they mean Asian... And as far I'm concerned when the English made thier own stuff like when Hardy and Orvis was english made... it was with the same pride and craftsmanship as an American made so to own an English made product ranks right up there with US made... but neither of these companies makes anything in England anymore.

And by the way American burgers come form Hardees not Hardy's but nice try and being a smart alec

Official GATOR HATER

Comment

Orvis leader material is the envy of spiders everywhere.
                                I use Orvis reels to smash spiders. The reels are indestructible.
                                Filson wool sweaters are the cause of global warming...which spiders like.

...never mind-he's on a roll.
                                "Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl."
                                ~by Ernest Hemingway~

Comment

Working...
                                X