No announcement yet.

A Flyfisherman's Christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think stores like K&G mostly carried last year's fashion, which did not change that much for men.

In my first job I did fire prevention inspection for a Highly Protected Risk insurance company. There were a lot of clothes manufactured in the SE USA back then. I have seen K-Mart jackets and name brand jackets and suites manufactured in the same factories. The cloth was different but the same ladies sewed the garments together and the same guys cut out the pattern. As you would expect there is a large mark up on high end clothes.

FYI, back in the 1980's Lee jeans were the most precisely made clothes I know of. They cut their patterns with knives controlled by computer back in the mid 80's.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

We have to justify our expensive purchases somehow in our own mind. I look great holding my Sage/Abel rod in my K&G suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Remoh View Post
        .......I fell off the pier that night and it tore up.....Last expensive suit I ever bought.
        I'd like to hear more of this story.
        The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
          I'd like to hear more of this story.
          That's just your investigative nature. It had nothing to do with fishing, (FUI) I may have fallen on top of a mullet but I wasn't fishing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Otherwise, Champagne may have been a contributing factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Remoh View Post
            We have to justify our expensive purchases somehow in our own mind. I look great holding my Sage/Abel rod in my K&G suit.
            Indeed...

Comment

Dang.

1) I used my Orvis catalog to light the fire Saturday morning.

2) I'm tapped out after spending my money on a license tag.
              If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

The catalog showed up yesterday and did not disappoint. I'll sit by the fire tonite....pour a glass of single-malt....and have a few good laughs.

Orvis Feather Bowtie - $149

Orvis Leather Toasting Set - $450

The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Orvis,

Feather tie a clip-on? Looks as if the toasting set would ,for that price, include at least a good single malt. TRW

Comment

Drifter,

I've got to agree with you on the "selections" to be found among some of the pages of an Orvis catalog. And, their manufacturing moves to China were ill-advised, to say the least, especially given their ownership of BFR in England.

That said, there are signs that the trend toward China is reversing itself-- slowly, but still heading in a better direction...

I present the following as examples... More high-end rods are again being made in the Orvis Rod Shop. Then, there's the talk is that a few of the Orvis reels are again going to be made at British Fly Reels, aka BFR. Example #3? The recent Orvis purchase of Scientific Anglers and their decision to keep it as a "stand-alone" company rather than incorporating it into the Orvis Company. Since SA owns Ross Reels as well, the talk is that the CFO line is going to be made by the folks at Ross Reels-- here in the USA.

And, then there are the management decisions being put into play. Jim LePage, a longtime Orvis executive and all-around good guy, will be heading up the separate Scientific Anglers Company. And, to hedge his bets, Mr. LePage has talked Bruce Richards out of retirement and into coming back to SA on an interim basis. For those of you who don't know friend, Bruce, he was THE man at SA for many years, and his line designs for SA number well over 1600 of their best lines. He's also one of the finest casters I've ever watched, and an outstanding casting instructor. If Bruce was willing to come out of retirement and leave Montana for awhile, I've got to believe that there are good things on the horizon for both Orvis and SA...

And, then there's the speculation on the upcoming 'glass series of Superfines! But, that's another story...

All in all, here's hoping that Chinese-made products soon become a part of the Orvis past rather than its future. Hey, one can always hope...

Comment

I knew changes were afoot at SA. Tim Pommer, over on Zach Matthews' website....recently went to work for SA and he fills us in on occasion.

There was a thread here at NGTO last year....where American-made products were being listed...in hopes that everyone would at least make an attempt to buy American. The list was dominated by high-end fly rods and bourbon whiskey.
                      The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Does anyone know country of production for Sage, Loomis and Grey's?

Comment

As sure as the sun rises in the East....It's baaaaack. 2014 Orvis Sporting Gifts catalog is in my grubby little hands.
                          The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Are they still offering the oyster shucker? I hope so, as I got drunk recently using my Orvis leather toasting set and accidently threw it away in my Orvis leather and canvas waste basket. The only thing that makes me feel better about the entire kerkuffle is wearing my Orvis feather bow tie. Gotta go now, my lunch is ready and I am enjoying a nice salad with homemade dressing made with Balsamic Vinegar from the oldest vinegar loft in the Modena region of Italy and Dafni Greek Unfiltered Olive Oil made from an Orvis-exclusive harvest of olives.
                            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I though you guys would be all over those great "can't do without" items from the LIFESTYLE company
                              "Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
                              Tom McGuane

Comment

A Flyfisherman's Christmas

It's here.

The 2015 Orvis Sporting Gifts catalog was in my mailbox yesterday....And once again it did not disappoint. It's chock- full of Orvis' trademarked ridiculously overpriced items.

I hadn't had time to digest all of these neat bargains yet... But the "brackish feather bow ties" jump out at me for the bargain price of $195. Score a "creel & rod linen pillow" for $179....or what about a "Thermocator II" meat thermometer for the paltry sum of $329. Probably the best bargain is the Wappoo Knife made by Williams Knife Company for $795.

And yes Buck Henry....they have your oyster shucker!

So....if you haven't received your Orvis Sporting Gifts catalog....hang tight...it should be in your mailbox in the next day or so. Merry Christmas ya'll.
                                Last edited by Drifter; 11-26-15, 04:14 AM.
                                The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X