No announcement yet.

A Flyfisherman's Christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Every item in that catalog is fully functional and reasonably priced. I have already placed my order for the monogrammed leather fly swatter for the cabin. If flies gotta die, they might as well go in style.

Peasants!
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I recently got into a discussion with Orvis because they refused to post a review in which I mentioned the reel was no longer made in Korea, but in China. They said their policy was to allow no mention of country of origin in their reviews. When I pointed out that reviews often mentioned countries such as England and Italy and that they are the ones who make such a point of their "Made in the USA" products, they agreed they were being inconsistent. After many conversations, they agreed to post my review. I have to give them credit for that.
      If you have never picked up a fly rod before, you will soon find it factually and theologically true that man by nature is a **** mess.

Norman Maclean

Comment

Just got my catalog, and they have some people in marketing that need to be drug tested. I am very supportive of their fishing gear (they sent me a couple of springs free of charge when I shot mine across the room). I paid a little more for their service, but it was the sweet spot for me.

Their "lifestyle" items are just crazy. A quick google search shows you can get a hand made maple buck saw for for ~$50. Orvis is trying to sell one for $130.
        Whale Oil Beef Hooked
        - what you say to an Irishman when they buy you a pint

Comment

Perhaps not widely appreciated, but Orvis Rod and Tackle is a separate division (indeed, I think it's technically a subsidiary) of the larger parent company. The former is responsible for the gear you like (which has been nice in recent years). The latter is responsible for everything in this catalog.

I would also point out that you can see the exact same stuff in Kevin's catalog and in Garden & Gun. I'm not about to buy any of that but a lot of it is indeed nice.
          The Itinerant Angler: Podcast | Articles | About

Comment

Agreed Orvis is expensive. I will say that the customer service is amazing. I had a tear in my waders went in to ask how to repair them. They proceeded to exchange them for a brand new pair. When it was clearly my fault.
            I can't afford much there aside from flies and materials but it definitely made me think twice.
            "Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly."
            ~John Gierach~

Trophies are relative

Comment

Anybody received their Orvis' "ridiculously overpriced" Gift Catalog in the mail yet? I'm curious if the oyster shucker and leather waste basket are still available.

Merry Christmas
              The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Haven't seen it yet but can't wait to get started with my orders. I did get a Feather-Craft Christmas Gifts catalog yesterday. Filed it in the round file after choking on all of the $850 to $900 Sage, Scott, and Winston fly rods.

Comment

OYSTER KNIFE

PAGE 9 $349 IS NOT RAILROAD SPIKE. Could not find waste basket
                  AL

I GOT IT A FEW DAYS AGO

Comment

I got my Orvis gift catalog a few days ago too, along with a Victoria's Secret holiday gift catalog addressed to my wife. I went through the Orvis catalog quick like and was bummed to learn that I already had at least one of everything in there. But I am still perusing through the other catalog (but I only read it for the articles).

Buck Henry
                    Simple Goat Herder
                    Former NGTO President
                    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I was in the Manchester, Vermont Orvis outlet store a few years back and remembering this thread was going to buy Drifter the Orvis nail clipper set. But at $59 I was too cheap to go through with the gag.

It's the thought that counts.
                      If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
                        I was in the Manchester, Vermont Orvis outlet store a few years back and remembering this thread was going to buy Drifter the Orvis nail clipper set. But at $59 I was too cheap to go through with the gag.

It's the thought that counts.

Thank you EG.
                        The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good smoked trout dip source? Even better would be one in gift basket form.
                          "Everyone blows their money on stupid stuff. Just choose which stupid you want and roll with it."

Mark

Comment

Keeping this great thread alive! I got my annual Orvis holiday gift for men catalog and as always it is chocked with bargains on many useful items. By far my favorite is the fully restored Land Rover at a bargain basement price of $110,000 bucks. I am digging through my sofa cushions now to see if I can scrape up enough loose change to buy this baby!

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Working...
                            X