No announcement yet.

The Stock Market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what indications are you seeing that some sort of "flash crash" is coming? Everything I am seeing is saying just the opposite.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-growth-gains
    Last edited by Buck Henry; 11-19-17, 08:59 AM.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

• What goes up....

And we’ve been in a steady climb upwards since 2008 so the current bull market and economy will eventually peter out. There’s already indications that the automotive industry is having problems and will do so for a while, and oil continues to be problematic and somewhat unpredictable. Inflation is low but artificially so.

I don’t know what a flash crash entails but we do seem to be nearing the end of an upwards cycle. It may run another year before we see any significant drop. Or next Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      "What's his offense?"
      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

• ...I had a "flash crash" last night...@ 7:30 PM, I got so sleepy, I couldn't hold my head up...

Blessings!

Jimmy

P.S. ...silver...

Comment

• Bitcoin is looking hot. If I had Buck Henry type scharole I might buy me a few. I think its going to break 20K in a few months.
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
            Bitcoin is looking hot. If I had Buck Henry type scharole I might buy me a few. I think its going to break 20K in a few months.

Buy high sell low! That's the way it's dome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

• This is my simple minded assessment of the financial situation of Amurca:
              Gross Domestic Product (Value of Everything Produced in America):$18 Trillion
              Federal Debt: $20 Trillion
              Household Debt: $13 Trillion
              Off the Books Social Program costs(Social Security/Medicare:approx.$2 Trillion
              Corporate Debt: Through the roof
              State Debts: Through the roof
              Municipality Debts: Through the roof
              All of these debt figures are higher than they were in 2008.
              When you see theses numbers think Greece, Venezuela, Spain, UK, etc.
              Spend some time with the New York Feds Household Debt report and the Feds Beige Report and a not so pretty picture begins to materialize. The good news, if you don't mind extreme inflation, is the US still has the most powerful economy in the world and can print money at will.

Almost forgot, the Fed is supposed to be backing off Quantitative Easing (Propping up Wall street) over the next few years.

Keep in mind I am a simple goat farmer who enjoys fishing and none of the above may actually be true in your mind.

Comment

• The Stock Market

I wouldn’t touch Bitcoin even if I won the Mega Millions and had money to burn. It’s a phony currency.

http://livingstingy.blogspot.com/2017/12/the-bitcoin-debacle.html?m=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                "What's his offense?"
                "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

• If I cannot bury it in my mattress or stuff it in a stripper's garter belt, I am not touching it either.

Buck Henry
                  Simple Goat Herder
                  Former NGTO President
                  Hall of Fame Member

Comment

• i don't have any money to invest in anything. Buck talked me into investing in his start up company: Ponzi Corporation. He says it will be very profitable by the time I retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by eyeflyfish View Post
                      i don't have any money to invest in anything. Buck talked me into investing in his start up company: Ponzi Corporation. He says it will be very profitable by the time I retire.
                      To be fair, I did say it would be very profitable, but I did not say for whom. Thanks again for your donation....er I mean investment.

PS: looking like the Trump tax cut has a real chance here. They made some last minute adjustments to fix a few concerns that should hopefully allow it to pass. If it does, hang on baby!

Buck Henry
                      Simple Goat Herder
                      Former NGTO President
                      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

• Business Tax Cuts?

I have serious doubts about any business tax cut stimulating the economy via job growth through new investments, research, etc. But a question for the knowledgeable: Do any corporations actually pay the current 39% federal tax rate? There are multiple deductions, tax credits, government hand-outs (mining, forestry etc) that should be taken into account off setting any tax payments. So what is the typical actual tax rate a business pays over the last 10 years or so?

Comment

• I don't know John! They are slashing the corporate tax rate from 35% down to 21%, which is huuuuuge! If there is more money to spend on their business, then they will spend it. Most business sat on their cash for the last 8 years for obvious reasons and they are more than ready to grow (look what has happened over the last 12 months without a tax cut!) This could be the last piece of the puzzle to get that spending pump really moving. And as the Gipper said, a rising tide then lifts all boats!

Buck Henry
                          Simple Goat Herder
                          Former NGTO President
                          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

• I think it depends on the size of the corporation and whether they have an international presence. I can only speak from personal experience. Last year my company was taxed at 39%. I thought we had a great year. After taxes, fully funding my 401K and paying for healthcare insurance and the out of pocket costs (my family has some chronic issues) there wasn't much left.
                            So the difference between 39 and 20 would be significant for my business and the ability to invest in other things. Whether that be an employee, corporate retreat more marketing, etc. I do not know yet. Whatever it might be someone down the line will be making more money because I have it to spend.

Comment

• ...I keep tellin' ya'll...silver, silver, silver...it's going lower and will always be a valuable long-term investment...it's like gold, only lighter...wait til it bottoms out and buy some...or, some more, if you already have some...it has done well by me since 1969...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

• Have to disagree with you Jimmy. On principle, precious metals are typically horrible from a long term investment strategy due to their inherent volotility. Gold and sliver are great if you are planning for the zombie apocalypse, but not so great if you are looking for a long term predictable return on investment.

PS: not saying that having some solid metals as a part of your portfolio is a bad idea, but they should not be the foundation.

Buck Henry
                                Simple Goat Herder
                                Former NGTO President
                                Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Working...
                                X