The Stock Market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wtbfishin View Post

Drifter getting a 13% return is very strong!

:
    It was actually better than that.

The specific fund I'm speaking of....is a Voya fund which, as you can imagine fluctuates quite a bit with the market. As you well know, diversity is the key....so don't put all yor eggs in this basket.

In my opinion....and I'm no financial planner....but CDs are not the way to go right now. I cashed in one a few years ago and invested in real estate which could be had for 50-cents on the dollar. No way I'd lock up money for 5-years at 2% (or less).

From the above referenced link:

Performance

The fund has returned 8.42 percent over the past year, 17.29 percent over the past three years, 15.76 percent over the past five years, and 10.43 percent over the past decade.

Risk is Below Average compared to funds in the same category according to Morningstar.

...and Conemaugh.....you're a wise man. I wish I could afford AAPL.
    Last edited by Drifter; 02-17-15, 04:59 PM.
    The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

I had been a GC in Fl for over 30 years, took down the shingle in '07, looked like I knew something, because we all know what happen around that time frame. I had just learned to hate it and wanted to be done.

The only reason I was able to do that because I paid for life as I went, very conservative, often felt like I was being stupid for not getting farther out on a limb, some of you may remember we had a short lived turn down in the early 80's that put the fear of debt in me good. Those were tough times paid one supplier off w/a tractor I owned. That was a very short lived recession nothing like we just came out of. When you need cash flow and you can't get you go belly up I know more than one that did.

I've waited for years now for CD's to come back w/no sign of that happening (Mr. conservative) I'm not tying money up either at current rates although there have been some upward movement of late, CDs were paying 10% late '70s pre recession. I was getting 5% on 1 year CDs right before all hell broke loose '07-'08.

Thanks for the tip Steve .
      " Is it ignorance or is it apathy?
      Hey man I don't know and I don't care" Jimmy Buffet

Comment

My 2 cents.

We all spend so much time reading, researching, learning how to fish, do your job, whatever. For the last 30-40 years of your life your job is investing your retirement. Spend some serious time learning how to do that well while you still have a job throwing off cash to live off of. While you can still make mistakes. Your niche might be the stock market, it might be rental property, it might be a bunch of frozen yogurt businesses. Regardless, your job, while you still have a job, is to figure out how to have passive income when you can't or don't want to work anymore. That's the only way to truly be rich in retirement. This isn't optional in my mind.

Comment

The Stock Market

Thinking back when I got out of college and got my first "real" job, saving for retirement was the furtherest thing from my mind. I also see this mindset with my two sons.

Fortunately someone/something caused me to stash a little away each paycheck...no matter how small the amount.

To you young folks....even though retirement seems a world away....start now along with Junior's college fund.
          The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMcUDtXFxbU[/ame]

This week could be ugly. Don't panic yet
              "What's his offense?"
              "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
              ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                For those of you that delve into the world of stocks and bonds.....you certainly know that things have been good lately. Well......take a look at the following graph. Notice how today's market is tracking, when compared with the 1929 market. Could we be headed for a crash?
                A friend of mine got me interested in watching Rabbi Jonathan Cahn videos on youtube. He wrote the book called "The Harbinger". His videos are all about bible prophesy. Check out this 3 minute video about the financial collapse of America. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8kFBu3wuS0 . (This is the full 1 1/2 hour video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTEHaLPgerg ).The next financial collapse might happen in 2015 (maybe september/october)according to what he sees in the future according to God's word. There are many Jonathan Cahn videos out there.

Kurt

Comment

...Buck...mine is not in pork bellies, but silver bullion...I keep mine buried near my tomatoes...I sprayed an orange "X" on the ground wherever I put it...if I had it in pork bellies, I'd cash some in and get some bacon and eat it...my retirement could vanish!!

...right after I got out of college, I worked for Legg-Mason for about 9 months...I saw a lot of $$ come and go...I attempted to console grown men who were bawling like a 3 yr old who had dropped his lollipop...it's too high-pressure for me...I abandoned a career as a tax accountant for one in education...so much for that!

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

How To Invest

Here are key enterprises where you can invest your money because the demand for these products and services will never, ever, diminish:

- Funeral parlors & embalming.
                    - Grocery stores (note not grocery chains, grocery stores)
                    - Nudy bars

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                      Here are key enterprises where you can invest your money because the demand for these products and services will never, ever, diminish:

- Funeral parlors & embalming.
                      - Grocery stores (note not grocery chains, grocery stores)
                      - Nudy bars
                      You missed a big one John: BACON!
                      Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                      Simple Goat Herder
                      Former NGTO President
                      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I may need to sell my mutual fund accounts and buy some swine?

My financial advisor told me recently that the mkt is currently experiencing a lot of irrational exuberance. His thoughts on what could happen soon were pretty dang scary. But he said, at my age, to leave my stuff very aggressive. Being that I trust that he is the expert and I am not, I chose to listen to him.

Comment

Look at what's happening in Greece right now.......... just sayin'.

Kurt

Comment

If you're young nearly all financial advisers are going to tell you to be aggressive and if you're old like me they are going to be more conservative.
                            Saying "all" is a little overstated but that does seem to be a general rule. Have to admit looking at the market right now can get a little frightening. You have to have a really strong stomach to be in the financial business.

Comment

...bullion...and precious stones...

...future currency...??

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

They key to building wealth is not being in debt by paying off your mortgage and getting rid of those stupid credit cards. Then you will have more money to invest in your retirement plan......... and you have to plan for the future when you are 20, not when you are 50.

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                                X