Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountain Lion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Believe I saw one maybe 20 years back hunting a power line in south GA. Only mentioned it to a couple of family members. Yeah, I'd say a 30 pound black something with a long tail. Saw it just long enough to make me want to rub my eyes in disbelief. I wouldn't go to the stake over it though....
    sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
    "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

    Comment


    • #17
      This appears legit. A little searching shows that the TWRA has confirmed a still photo from a trail cam in west TN in late September, and they have also confirmed this one as real from central TN from sometime around Thanksgiving. In the past decade there have been pretty well confirmed sightings in Louisiana, Missouri, and Arkansas and the belief has been that they're expanding westward up against the MS river. I've heard that there have been sightings in KY in recent years. We know they can get up into central GA from south FL because that has happened pretty recently.

      I've always been very skeptical of all kinds of cougar sightings in GA. With all the trail cams, hunters, and drivers out there, we'll see them when they get here. I think this fits with that idea. Animals are expanding from the west, as we've known for a while. A sighting in TN is consistent with this. It would be cool to have them show up in GA for real in the next decade or so.
      My opinion.

      G

      Comment


      • #18
        Hate to bust a bunch of people's bubbles, but there has never been a documented case of a black panther in the wild nor has anyone ever been able to breed one in captivity.

        If you saw a black cat in the woods, it was just that, a black cat, not a mountain lion.

        Comment


        • #19
          This is true, I know. Like I said, won't go to the stake. But I've seen big kitties and black labs in the woods and, well....
          sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
          "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
            Hate to bust a bunch of people's bubbles, but there has never been a documented case of a black panther in the wild nor has anyone ever been able to breed one in captivity.

            If you saw a black cat in the woods, it was just that, a black cat, not a mountain lion.
            If you read that on the internet it must be true....
            If fishing is religion, Fly Fishing is high church.

            -Tom Brokaw-

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
              Hate to bust a bunch of people's bubbles, but there has never been a documented case of a black panther in the wild nor has anyone ever been able to breed one in captivity.

              If you saw a black cat in the woods, it was just that, a black cat, not a mountain lion.
              True....

              But what is probably being seen is a cougar in the shadows, at low light times. To the eye, color appears black.

              Comment


              • #22
                I know what I saw. I've been called a liar flat out, and I've been told that I was mistaken, that black cats don't exist in North Ga.

                I know what I saw.
                BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

                Exodus 29:18
                Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

                Comment


                • #23
                  ...yeah, me too, Bill...!!

                  ...it's kinda' hard for me to un-see something I've seen...

                  ...Cath and the kids had one jump across the road in Walnut Hill , AL near Lake Martin and it vaulted the hood of the Corolla they were driving...they still talk about it...

                  Blessings!

                  Jimmy

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
                    I know what I saw. I've been called a liar flat out, and I've been told that I was mistaken, that black cats don't exist in North Ga.

                    I know what I saw.
                    Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
                    ...yeah, me too, Bill...!!

                    ...it's kinda' hard for me to un-see something I've seen...

                    ...Cath and the kids had one jump across the road in Walnut Hill , AL near Lake Martin and it vaulted the hood of the Corolla they were driving...they still talk about it...

                    Blessings!

                    Jimmy
                    I'm not saying you are lying. I remember telling my college biology professor that I saw a cougar in McGregor, Texas while I was an undergraduate. It was way outside it's normal range. Three years later as a graduate student, I hit a cougar with the Biology van in McGregor, Texas. Proof!

                    There has been ZERO documented cases of a true melanistic Felis concolor.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      ...I didn't mean it that way, Russ...I was just saying that it's hard to reconcile what you see with statistics / projections / etc.

                      ...there can't be water mocs there...well, I ran over one in the road...

                      ...no panthers or cougars here...well, I saw one...

                      ...the memory is there... on your brain's hard drive...

                      Blessings!

                      Jimmy

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Going back to square 1, the cougar in the photo was reported in another FB post as being in Humboldt County, middle Tennessee.
                        Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
                          ...I didn't mean it that way, Russ...I was just saying that it's hard to reconcile what you see with statistics / projections / etc.

                          ...there can't be water mocs there...well, I ran over one in the road...

                          ...no panthers or cougars here...well, I saw one...

                          ...the memory is there... on your brain's hard drive...

                          Blessings!

                          Jimmy
                          I fully understand what you and Bill meant. That was the point about my story with the cougar in Texas. I knew what I saw but it took some years to get it documented.

                          Folks see lots of things, heck I've seen things in Downtown Atlanta that can not be explained and quite frankly, shouldn't be.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by ChefKy View Post
                            If you read that on the internet it must be true....
                            Or if you majored in wildlife biology, worked for the Colorado Division of Wildlife, and spoke with mountain lion experts from multiple states... I know I didn't attach a resume to my post, but I'm not sure why you jumped to this conclusion.

                            Though I know citing "the internet" probably doesn't mean much to you, the Missouri Dept. of Conservation and the Indiana DNR are two references that I found quickly that corroborate what I'm saying. Those statements are based on scientific facts, not anecdotal evidence.

                            I don't doubt that people have seen mountain lions in Georgia. I don't doubt that people have seen mountain lions that appeared to be black, due to a muddy coat, trick of light, or some other reason. However, there is enough scientific research to say, with certainty, that no one has ever seen an actual black mountain lion.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              #blackpanthersmatter
                              Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

                              Buck Henry
                              Simple Goat Herder
                              Former NGTO President
                              Hall of Fame Member

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
                                Or if you majored in wildlife biology, worked for the Colorado Division of Wildlife, and spoke with mountain lion experts from multiple states... I know I didn't attach a resume to my post, but I'm not sure why you jumped to this conclusion.

                                Though I know citing "the internet" probably doesn't mean much to you, the Missouri Dept. of Conservation and the Indiana DNR are two references that I found quickly that corroborate what I'm saying. Those statements are based on scientific facts, not anecdotal evidence.

                                I don't doubt that people have seen mountain lions in Georgia. I don't doubt that people have seen mountain lions that appeared to be black, due to a muddy coat, trick of light, or some other reason. However, there is enough scientific research to say, with certainty, that no one has ever seen an actual black mountain lion.

                                ...I do not know what "experts" call them, but my family and I have seen some BIG kitties in the GA woods that were not house cats or bobcats...I don't care whether anybody believes it or doesn't...


                                Blessings!

                                Jimmy

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X