Clear All

More info

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/...ion-100-years/
    Some fishermen see no fish and foolishly
    believe that the river is empty.
    Henry Van Dyke

Comment

Big Cat,

Ain't no doubt about that 'un, but if I saw a scrape like that I'd be investigating also! TRW

Comment

I love how he says they "Would be the top predator in the woods, outside of man."

That's a woefully ignorant statement to me.
        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

My brother and I saw the back half of a puma disappear into the brush while walking a trail on the side of a mountain near Waynesville, NC. We both saw it, in daylight, from about 75 feet. We ran up to the spot and looked uphill where it was headed and didn't see anything else. We told my Mom and Stepdad, and they told the locals, who said they haven't heard of a sighting in decades. We are both sure of what we saw, and both knew it immediately. This was about 10 years ago.

FM
          The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

I Believe

I'm a Believer

About 8 years ago, Marty & I were in the river. Dottie was there too. I looked up and saw a HUGE cat (see above sketch) cross the river way down below us. He/she made 3 or 4 leaps from rock to rock and was gone. I turned around to say something, and the look on Marty's face told me he'd seen it too.

There was no doubt about what we'd seen and it can't be unseen.

We're really glad we saw it together. We didn't think anyone would believe us, but when Marty shared the story at the real estate office, many of the locals nodded their heads. Seeing was a gift, but it sure would be nice to catch one on camera. Maybe we need to get our game camera back up.

... now a wolf-dog? We have proof of that.
            http://www.facebook.com/fernvalleytrout

Find us or Post Review to Trip Advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e_Georgia.html

Comment

Glad,

Your sketch is better than any trail cam photo.

Comment

Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
                My brother and I saw the back half of a puma disappear into the brush while walking a trail on the side of a mountain near Waynesville, NC. We both saw it, in daylight, from about 75 feet. We ran up to the spot and looked uphill where it was headed and didn't see anything else. We told my Mom and Stepdad, and they told the locals, who said they haven't heard of a sighting in decades. We are both sure of what we saw, and both knew it immediately. This was about 10 years ago.

FM
                There are so many stories like this that surely some of them must be true. But, there is never any proof. I would love to have some physical evidence, a picture, video, scat, even a print. With so many trail cams up in the woods, so many people walking around with cell phones, and so many cars on the road, I don't understand how there could be mountain lions in the southern Appalachians without someone being able to document them.

There was a case in the early 90s, somewhere just outside of GSMNP, where someone claimed to have a video of a mountain lion (I don't remember all the details). At a Wildlife Society meeting on Clemson's campus in 2003, I asked a USF&W biologist from NC that specialized in large predators (forget his name now) and he said that as far as he knew (and nobody would've known better) that there had not been a documented and verifiable mountain lion sighting in NC in over a hundred years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
                  There are so many stories like this that surely some of them must be true. But, there is never any proof. I would love to have some physical evidence, a picture, video, scat, even a print. With so many trail cams up in the woods, so many people walking around with cell phones, and so many cars on the road, I don't understand how there could be mountain lions in the southern Appalachians without someone being able to document them.

There was a case in the early 90s, somewhere just outside of GSMNP, where someone claimed to have a video of a mountain lion (I don't remember all the details). At a Wildlife Society meeting on Clemson's campus in 2003, I asked a USF&W biologist from NC that specialized in large predators (forget his name now) and he said that as far as he knew (and nobody would've known better) that there had not been a documented and verifiable mountain lion sighting in NC in over a hundred years.
                  http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/...ion-100-years/
                  Some fishermen see no fish and foolishly
                  believe that the river is empty.
                  Henry Van Dyke

Comment

Call me a liar or whatever you want but I have seen large BLACK cat seven times, from as close as 20 feet. When I was living in southern Anderson county
                    SC in the mid 80's there were a pair of big black cats that were seen many times in our area. I almost ran over one coming home from work one night. I managed to stop about 20 feet from it as it stood in the middle of highway 284. I estimate it was 100-100 lbs and it was jet black. Tail was nearly as long as the body. That was my first sighting of this cat. I saw it several times while hunting. My neighbor almost hit it on his dirtbike. His dad also farmed about 175 acres around our house and several times when he would be bush hogging the bottoms what we think was the female of the pair would sit on the hill and watch. i assume she was hunting the rats and rabbits he scared up while bush hogging. She was not all black but more of a black with brown patches. The sightings went on for about 10 years then they were gone. DNR knew they were there but did not admit to it.
                    Someone mentioned there not being any black mountain lines confirmed in the U.S. This statement is true. But I believe these sere not true mountain lions. I think (and so did the biologist i spoke with at the time) these cats were actually Jaguars that migrated from latin America. Apparently they like to wander.
                    Never to cold to be on the water!

Comment

Fern Valley Girl

Indeed your sketch is excellent, right down to the black tipped tail. Are you a professional artist? Just curious.

I have seen, and more memorably, heard, mountain lions when we lived in the west. For what it's worth, if there are actual sightings, that is interesting but I would like to inquire if the night cry has also been heard? If not, then the sighting may have been something else like a very large feral cat. I saw one of these in northern Ohio when I was hunting and it was a pure blue-black cat about the size of a black lab - I thought it was a lab at first.

However, I have observed at least one mountain lion in western North Carolina and my friend who lived in the area confirmed he had heard the cat as well. It is really a privilege to live in an area where the true wild can still exist.

Comment

I'm a believer as well. My good friend's dad was stalked by one a few years ago in the Tallulah river/gorge area.
                        If it was easy, they'd call it catching not fishing

It's just a dumb fish- Captain Joel Dickey

Comment

Originally posted by TitanTim2004 View Post
                          I think (and so did the biologist i spoke with at the time) these cats were actually Jaguars that migrated from latin America. Apparently they like to wander.
                          No Jaguars. Not even in historical range. Did your biologist also identify copperheads in NC?

Only Jaguar you'll see in the SE are those of age and the ones kicking the Falcons......

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                            Indeed your sketch is excellent, right down to the black tipped tail. Are you a professional artist? Just curious.

I have seen, and more memorably, heard, mountain lions when we lived in the west. For what it's worth, if there are actual sightings, that is interesting but I would like to inquire if the night cry has also been heard? If not, then the sighting may have been something else like a very large feral cat. I saw one of these in northern Ohio when I was hunting and it was a pure blue-black cat about the size of a black lab - I thought it was a lab at first.

However, I have observed at least one mountain lion in western North Carolina and my friend who lived in the area confirmed he had heard the cat as well. It is really a privilege to live in an area where the true wild can still exist.
                            OH NO! I didn't sketch this. I cut-and-pasted this from clip art. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have given credit where it is due. ALSO... I would never exaggerate the size of a fish or the amount of river frontage for Fern Valley. I will admit to stretching a bit on the intelligence of my new granddaughter or the cuteness of my dogs...

Meet Katherine!

Harold & Belle in their Christmas sweaters.
                            http://www.facebook.com/fernvalleytrout

Find us or Post Review to Trip Advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e_Georgia.html

Comment

Hey JOHNKIES; here is a sketch I made of a big cat I came across in the wild. With proof like this, who can deny their existance?

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                              Simple Goat Herder
                              Former NGTO President
                              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Fern Valley Girl View Post
                                OH NO! I didn't sketch this. I cut-and-pasted this from clip art. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have given credit where it is due. ALSO... I would never exaggerate the size of a fish or the amount of river frontage for Fern Valley. I will admit to stretching a bit on the intelligence of my new granddaughter or the cuteness of my dogs...

Meet Katherine!

Harold & Belle in their Christmas sweaters.
                                No, but you could have sketched it.

Lucky child. I wish my grandparents owned a trout stream and two great dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X