2017 Atlanta Braves Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
    Well, now the Braves brain trust (minus one) is looking for a new GM who would need to make the Snitker decision, among others. Another early task for the new GM will be trying to trade Matt Kemp and his big salary. But are any clubs looking to deal?

Next year, maybe .500 and yes I said that about this year; missed it by nine games.

This may be heresy in some circles but I would applaud if they traded Teherán (even if we do share the same birth date if not the year). At 58-53 and an ERA of 3.59 he's just too inconsistent. That said, it'd be interesting to see how he does on a playoff club. Might make a difference in his indifference.
    I like the energy that Coppy had, just not his dasterdly ways of doing business as we are finding out. Snitker is a good fit with the team as the players have said so I see no reason to make a change there yet.
    As for Kemp... he was injured and somewhat inconsistent this year. If they can unload him that is good salary-wise but I am not sure someone will take him at this point honestly. Too much salary and he has rheumatoid arthritis if I remember correctly. Hard to trade players with degenerative diseases. I do like his leadership in the clubhouse though. Tough decision to make there.
    The more I look at Tehran, the more I am ok with Atlanta moving him as long as we got a comparable or better arm. His issues were mainly covered up by the previous staff rather easily given we had bigger issues at hand and he was THE only pitching presence we had for a couple years. Now it does seem like a kind of slow decline though.
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

Comment

Maybe Arthur Blank should buy the Braves? I get that same ol' corporate feeling when I watch them now that I used to get when I worked at a big ol' corporation...

Doesn't 'feel' like my local ball team any more? Am I alone in that feeling, or does anyone feel that way these days?

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
        Maybe Arthur Blank should buy the Braves? I get that same ol' corporate feeling when I watch them now that I used to get when I worked at a big ol' corporation...

Doesn't 'feel' like my local ball team any more? Am I alone in that feeling, or does anyone feel that way these days?
        Only the Braves the Blue Jays are owned by corporations. The rest have principal owners, much to my surprise. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...incipal_owners

That said, success isn't always about the ownership or even salary/budget. Mostly it comes down to a good farm system and good management, something the Braves had in abundance under Schuerholz and Cox. Now, not quite so much I fear, although the farm system seems to be robust. But if you have good prospects coming up then the question is: how well do you manage them?
        "What's his offense?"
        "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
        ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
          Only the Braves the Blue Jays are owned by corporations. The rest have principal owners, much to my surprise. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...incipal_owners

That said, success isn't always about the ownership or even salary/budget. Mostly it comes down to a good farm system and good management, something the Braves had in abundance under Schuerholz and Cox. Now, not quite so much I fear, although the farm system seems to be robust. But if you have good prospects coming up then the question is: how well do you manage them?
          Not only how well did you manage them but how well did you develop them for the majors. When the Braves had the stretch run we had that in spades. It has yet to be seen as of yet with the farm system Coppy and Hart put together.
          I am not a big fan of corporate ownership. I wish Ted Turner still owned the Braves. He made them more personable in my opinion.
          #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
          -PH

Comment

The good news is...they're bringing a cricket team to Atlanta.
            We are the music-makers,
            And we are the dreamers of dreams,
            Wandering by lone sea-breakers
            And sitting by desolate streams;
            World losers and world forsakers,
            On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

I have the same issue with Snit that I did with Freddie, neither one knows how to manage a pitching staff. Let's get an old school guy that won't pull a starter while he's getting people out...
              The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
                The good news is...they're bringing a cricket team to Atlanta.
                That is good to hear...I love fishing with crickets....have caught a lot of nice fish in both warm water and cool water. Trout love'em!
                BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

It looks like the Bravos will have to do without their international signees and former GM John Coppolella banned from baseball for life, and $20mil in fines......OUCH!!

https://www.foxsports.com/south/stor...-maitan-112117
                  BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                  Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Wow....

ATLANTA — Major League Baseball removed 13 top prospects from the Atlanta Braves’ celebrated farm system and hindered the new-look front office’s ability to participate in the international amateur market for the foreseeable future as a result of the league’s investigation into the organization’s signing practices.
                    To be clear the $20 million in "fines" were the bonuses that the Braves paid to these prospects. Which the players get to keep while they also enjoy free agency.

Basically the Braves are deeply crippled in shopping the international market for the next four years.
                    "What's his offense?"
                    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

• Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
                      Wow....

To be clear the $20 million in "fines" were the bonuses that the Braves paid to these prospects. Which the players get to keep while they also enjoy free agency.

Basically the Braves are deeply crippled for the next four to eight years.
                      FIFY
                      #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                      -PH

Comment

• So apparently the Braves are so horrible that the Gwinnett braves are changing their name.

Here are the finalist:
                        The Buttons
                        The Big Mouths
                        The Gobblers
                        The Hush Puppies
                        The Lambchops
                        ANd my favorite The Sweet Teas
                        We are the music-makers,

Comment

• I know youse all seen the new mascot, the name is definetly fitting:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2018/01/27/...ld-at-chopfest

I don’t know what worse? The name or the fact that they ripped off possibly the most horrible mascot of all sports.
                          We are the music-makers,

Comment

• I just want to hug that mascot a time or two and try that color for a mop fly. I don't know who's doing the marketing - I think they need to be fired and stick with the baseball head mascot.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

Working...
                            X