Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Atlanta Braves Thread

And, we're off.

New stadium (and new traffic headaches), old pitchers although new to this team, Chipper on the verge of landing in the Hall of Fame, lots of player shuffling....and my worthless opinion is they will finish at .500 or slightly better. But they should be fun to watch and more competitive than last year. Certainly more so than the first few months. As always, much will depend on the pitching staff.
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

I think your prediction is probably pretty solid. Swanson, Ender, and Folty will be key players, as all three could establish themselves as perennial all-stars this year IMHO. Fried and Newcomb are probably the two most intriguing players, though.
    The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Braves

Are they still talking to Frenchy?

Comment

I am going to take a small gamble and say that we will just miss the second wildcard by 2 games. I think we will have a solid year to be quite honest. Expect us to sell high on Jaime Garcia / Dickey / Colon depending on who is pitching well before the all star break. I expect Folty to have a breakout year. I think we will bring up Ozzie before the year is over with and test him at second. And lastly, I'm going out on a BIG limb here but I'm gonna say that Ender Inciarte is going to make the allstar team. His always hustle mentality and positive minded attitude makes him a budding star along with his god given talents.

Comment

Still a Marlin...

Originally posted by txbuba View Post
          Are they still talking to Frenchy?
          But as we know, that could change. The way last year ended gives hope for this year to be far more competitive! Let's Chop!
          #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
          -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
          -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
          -PH

Comment

All I know is that I no longer have to drag myself down to that southside cesspool to watch a ballgame.
            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
            Simple Goat Herder
            Former NGTO President
            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

He's a free agent. From Wikipedia:

Jeffrey Braden Francoeur (/fræŋˈkʊər/; born January 8, 1984), nicknamed "Frenchy", is an American professional baseball right fielder who is a free agent.
              Miami is apparently interested in re-signing him but much depends on other factors.

The Marlins only have interest in bringing back Jeff Francoeur or Chris Johnson if there’s an injury on the current roster. The two veterans haven’t generated much buzz this offseason, as Johnson has only been linked to the Marlins while Francoeur has at least received some interest from both Miami and Atlanta. I
              "What's his offense?"

Comment

who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEndlessEnigma View Post
                  who cares.
                  Well Mike, about 147 people who have viewed this thread and probably a ton more as the season progresses.
                  "What's his offense?"

Comment

I'm predicting 82 wins and third in the East. And maybe one live game at the new stadium for me. My in laws live a few miles from there (I grew up near the park too) but Smyrna is a traffic snarl already and this should just be an epic jam in the Cumberland area. Not worth it even though we've all been fans since the 60s. Our Christmas present to the in laws was a brick for the park with their names on it. They got a duplicate as well. So we'll want to see this but then it's back to TV for me.
                    Last edited by terry creech; 03-01-17, 09:33 PM.
                    sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
                    "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

I think I just became a Braves fan.

GEAUX BRAVOS!

If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

So the big moment is here and the Braves open a new ballpark, their third location in 51 years since moving from Milwaukee. Should be an interesting night.

Surprisingly the traffic at 5:15 doesn't seem worse than usual.

ETA: And for some reason the NGTO forum clock is running about 30 minutes slow. What the...?
                        Attached Files
                        "What's his offense?"

Comment

You guys are aware the Stanley cup playoffs are on yes?
                          We are the music-makers,
                          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                          And sitting by desolate streams;
                          World losers and world forsakers,
                          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
                            Yes, but the NHL playoffs take like 9 months to finish. Wake me for game 7 of the final final final final - Final!

Good win by the Braves in their new home. I know the folks down at SunTrust HQ (where I work) were super excited about opening day finally being here.

PS: I grabbed the 3:00 pm bus out of town and it was a normal Friday afternoon ride up 75. Slow and steady as always on a Friday afternoon; I saw no impact by folks trying to get to the ballpark. And from what the news was saying, traffic on the top end perimeter leading up to game time was actually lighter than normal. Maybe many up in north Cobb and Cherokee tele-worked.
                            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
                              That's got something to do with tools, right?
                              sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
                              "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Working...
                              X