Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Aids

Huh? What?

My hearing sucks, always has especially in my right ear. I have always hated wearing hearing aids and the cost a pot load of money to boot. I mean you can be looking at $5,000 or more for both ears if you go with the latest and greatest from an audiologist office. But there are also a lot of mid price range aids on the market that claim to be as good as the custom ones. Companies like Embrace, Advanced Affordable Hearing all offer what they claim are state of the art aids for a lot less.

Any of you guys out there wearing hearing aids? What advice can you give. Should I pay the big bucks or are the affordable ones adequate and worth trying?
    Last edited by Buck Henry; 03-05-18, 11:31 AM.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Check out the VA if you where around any high pitched sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo View Post
      Check out the VA if you where around any high pitched sounds.
      9 years operating submarine nuclear power plants: I would say I was around quite a few high pitched sounds! Thanks Jim, this might be worth the hassle!

Buck Henry
      Simple Goat Herder
      Former NGTO President
      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Buck is the loss related to tinnitus or is it real loss of range?

I have tinnitus in what I consider a significant amount. The audiologist seemed to think hearing aids would worsen my particular issue and to provide much expanded hearing range.

Comment

Originally posted by eyeflyfish View Post
          Buck is the loss related to tinnitus or is it real loss of range?

I have tinnitus in what I consider a significant amount. The audiologist seemed to think hearing aids would worsen my particular issue and to provide much expanded hearing range.
          Oh no, I have confirmed moderate to severe hearing loss (borderline Profound) in my right ear. Left ear has moderate loss and is what I use to get by. My hearing loss is most prevalent in the medium to high frequency ranges.

Buck Henry
          Simple Goat Herder
          Former NGTO President
          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

My dad, WWII vet, has severe hearing loss. We looked at the expensive aids and the cheaper ones. He has used both and in his case he couldn't tell much difference. Price seems to be more based on design, appearance and ease of maintenance vs. effectiveness. We got his hearing aids (both ears) from Costco in Alpharetta. They had a wide selection and great after purchase service which is free.

Comment

You must stay away from electric guitars and amps.
              Sell me your stuff at a steep discount so you want be tempted.
              Catch the energy
              Release the potential

Comment

Or .... 8- )

Of if you just talk louder most people assume you are hard of hearing and will speak louder..... *
                Sorry, Buck, just could not resist and sorry to learn you are having some issues. I am usually the well of random knowledge, but I have no experience on the topic. Any idea what caused your loss and I wonder if knowing that might help the diagnosis?

That said, you are to be congratulated for recognizing the issue and taking action!

Happy New Years and Happy Full Hearing ASAP!

--johnkies--

* A study was actually conducted showing this is actually the case.

Comment

My wife and I both have hearing aids from the Cumberland Costco. We were very impressed with the staff technicians. The test is free; they'll set up a pair for you to try in the store and then if you buy you can return for a reasonable period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                    Any idea what caused your loss and I wonder if knowing that might help the diagnosis?
                    My hearing loss goes back decades John. I was born with it to a certain degree, but a lifetime of very loud rock and roll and shooting guns probably did not help. Add 10 years in a submarine engine room and we have what we have! My wife puts up with it but I am constantly having to ask her to repeat herself which after 30 years has gotten a bit annoying I think.

Stinkbait: my brother's wife uses Costco and is pleased with hers too. But her pair still set her back over $3,000 bucks if I recall. I am seeing some start up hearing aid companies on the web that claim their products are just as good at 1/4 to 1/2 the price. Hard to know who to believe these days and I believe online reviews about as far as I can throw them.

PS: President Trump just signed something called the Over the Counter Hearing Aid Act which is supposed to drive the cost of hearing aids down significant. But they are saying it will be several years before we see the impact of that bill.

Buck Henry
                    Simple Goat Herder
                    Former NGTO President
                    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Hey Buck, if you want to go really cheap you can probably pick up one of those vintage ear horns for a lot less than the electronics of today.

I have your same problem after 30 years around aircraft/jet engine overhaul, maintenance & repair shops. Men's voices I can hear. Female voices escape me. Females don't talk to me anyway so I'm good to go.

My wife's sister got the super duper, non-visible, built in Bluetooth, NASA approved, yada.yada's last year. Around $5000 I think it was.

Comment

Hearing Aids

I bought a pair from Hi Health Solutions (insurance approved) for about $500. Didnít need the Bluetooth.

https://www.hihealthinnovations.com/...SAAEgJKufD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        "What's his offense?"
                        "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
                        ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Buck I have three veterans that are completely satisfied with the VA hearing aids with blue tooth capabilities. Fill out the paper work that takes some time. But the time is worth it. I told one of the vets to go ahead and apply after he stated how he didn't like the cost of store bought after he was on his second set.

Comment

Come again?

Ok, I too have some from guitars/music and firearms when younger (Ever run bursts through an MP5 without ear protection? What was I thinking?). Fortunately, no sub work for me so, all in all, mine is not serious. Would an implant work in your case or is that too invasive for your degree of loss?
                            sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
                            "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Buck, I wish I had some information to share that would be valuable. My audiologist suggested I give up shooting. That was 8 years ago and the tinnitus was ok until about 18 months ago. Progressively getting worse. I wish you the best in your search for better hearing.
                              I wish it was as easy as regaling vision from cataracts. I find it interesting Medicare/ insurance pays for surgery to see and not hearing aids to hear.

Comment

Working...
                              X