Pick Buck's Next Song

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Buck's Next Song

I need a new song to focus on for my guitar practice and thought I solicit advice from the NGTO peanut gallery. I have narrowed it down to a few choices below and am leaning towards the Head Easts song. But would welcome other recommendations as well. And please, no modern era pop or what they call Rock these days. 60's, 70's and tasteful 80's rock recommendations only por favor.
    • There's Never Been Any Reason - Head East
    • Jail Break - Thin Lizzy
    • Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
    • Can't You Hear me Knocking - The Rolling Stones

What else you got? I have players block right now while my Les Paul gently weeps!
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

If I recall correctly, you now have some digital effects to go along with that guitar. I would recommend setting up dual delays, one at 333 miliseconds, and the other at 500 miliseconds, and start working on "Run Like Hell" by Pink Floyd. It's a whole lot easier than you think it might be and it's fun as heck!

If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Maybe something from Brian Setzer (Rock This Town) or Cheap Trick (I Want You to Want Me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      "What's his offense?"
      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
        I need a new song to focus on for my guitar practice and thought I solicit advice from the NGTO peanut gallery. I have narrowed it down to a few choices below and am leaning towards the Head Easts song. But would welcome other recommendations as well. And please, no modern era pop or what they call Rock these days. 60's, 70's and tasteful 80's rock recommendations only por favor.
        • There's Never Been Any Reason - Head East
        • Jail Break - Thin Lizzy
        • Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
        • Can't You Hear me Knocking - The Rolling Stones

What else you got? I have players block right now while my Les Paul gently weeps!
        Buck, nothing wrong with Head East! Much better than 98% of the crap the Stones put out! Thin Lizzy is solid but if you are gonna go try some Nugent why not REALLY step it up to some Alvin Lee and Ten Years After?
        Buck be real, tasteful and 80's do not go in the same sentence unless you are going with some Satriani or Vai or Johnson and some Paul Gilbert! Yngwie can come too!
        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

Open G tuning as used in "Can't You Hear me Knocking" is fun to learn and not difficult.

Comment

How bout this classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8vhi72zKPQ

Or Uncle Ted's "come again" I know Buck a YUUUGGGEE **** Yankees fan.
            We are the music-makers,
            And we are the dreamers of dreams,
            Wandering by lone sea-breakers
            And sitting by desolate streams;
            World losers and world forsakers,
            On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

“Real Enough to Love” off the Jules and the Polar Bears album Fenętîks Phonetics. It’s available for streaming on Amazon for $1.29. Also on YouTube. It is challenging enough to be interesting to play on the guitar, though comically simple on the piano, and in addition to having that great guitar intro, it is a really good song.

I love the Head East, but can’t really imagine doing it without a synth.

Comment

The Cure- Just Like Heaven. A new fun one for me.
                Catch the energy
                Release the potential

Comment

Originally posted by Brotherbear View Post
                  The Cure- Just Like Heaven. A new fun one for me.
                  Hold on now. Buck plays guitar. If we're gonna play Just Like Heaven by The Cure, you're gonna need my synthesizers.
                  If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

A done deal. I will play the dog poop out of the bass and Buck can figure his way out of a wet paper bag on the guitar

My people will be in touch with your people
                    Catch the energy
                    Release the potential

Comment

...trust me, Buck...Mountain Jam ...

...I used heavy sustain on my '56 Les Paul...wish I still had it...!!!

...she talked me into selling it...

Blessings!

Jimmy
                      Last edited by Counslrman; 04-29-18, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I like the Floyd recommendation, but I am biased. I still think the solo in "Money"is my favorite of all time.

"Stranglehold" is Terrible Ted's best song, IMHO.

What about "Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo" by Rick Derringer? A classic.

Trower: "Bridge of Sighs" is awesome, and I think playable by a mortal, unlike much of his stuff.

FM
                        The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Eruption or bust
                          The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

All great suggestions, thanks guys! I have to give the deep cut award to FM for his Robin Trower tune. What a haunting tone in that song. A few suggestions are still way out of my league (EVH), but fun to have on my radar.

I did play around with that Head East tune and the basic guitar part is pretty simple and fun to play. But you are right not near as much fun if I had a mini-moog playing the lead parts.

OK, no more dicking around with classic rock songs tonight as I am forcing myself to practice arpeggio scale patterns this week (yuck!)
                            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Working...
                            X