Tax question...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax question...?

We received a judgement check from a class action suit I knew nothing about until I got the check. It was something about some subsidiary of our lender having misreported earnings and charging too much interest...gobbledy -gook wording in the explanation...

...anyhow, I cannot find in the 1040 instructions how to deal with this...???

Blessings!

Jimmy

I'm not a tax accountant, but as best as I can remember, proceeds from lawsuits are similar to insurance payments, non-taxable.

Comment

Tax question...?

Well, yes they can be.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4345.pdf

You should (in theory) receive a 1099 Misc with Box 3 checked.

And...

How do I report a settlement from a class action lawsuit in Turbotax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Trout8myfly; 01-31-18, 09:47 AM.
      "What's his offense?"
      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Yes you should receive a 1099. I got a judgement last year from a class action lawsuit and got a 1099 for it. I liked getting the check but didn't like it as much when tax time rolled around.
        I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
        sigpic

Comment

If my memory serves me well, if the amount is a relatively small amount, i.e., a few hundred dollars, the check writer is not required to provide a 1099. You are probably still responsible for reporting it, unless it was the loss of property, etc.,

You can take that advise and a dollar and get a cup of coffee at McD.
          Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Working...
          X