No announcement yet.

Falcon Heavy Test Flight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the dude just sent a red sports car into outer space playing a great David Bowie song, so he gets a hearty two thumbs up from this simple goat herder.

I think one day you will be singing a different tune on the accomplishments of Mr. Musk.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

As for the earnings report, maybe Musk saw an opportunity to make hay while the sun shone and the rocket launched. But if so it was a risk.
      • If they delayed the launch until Wednesday he loses the timing.
      • If the rocket blew up on the pad on Tuesday, Musk has a red face, among other body parts.
      • If someone got hurt or killed trying to hurry the launch...well that's a bad day all around
      I still think it was a clever move to launch the roadster. SpaceX had no paying client for this first full-up integrated test of the Falcon Heavy (and no one would risk a $100 million payload - or even a $1 million payload - on an untested configuration), so why not launch something that promotes your brand? It certainly has the world buzzing about it, so...mission accomplished!

I don't think he is a charlatan. Is he a futurist? Only history will tell.

And I think critics are are making too much of the new orbit. SpaceX wasn't trying to hit a precise orbit with a precise goal, such as docking with the ISS. They were simply pushing a new configuration to its fuel limits.

All that said, Musk needs to have someone poking him in the side when he starts to make predictions. He is often waaayyy too optimistic. But, he's the billionaire with several big companies, not me.
      "What's his offense?"
      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
        Well, the dude just sent a red sports car into outer space playing a great David Bowie song, so he gets a hearty two thumbs up from this simple goat herder.

I think one day you will be singing a different tune on the accomplishments of Mr. Musk.
        I did really well shorting solar city (would have done better if it was allowed to keep free falling, but I won't complain), and plan on doing really well shorting Tesla via puts. We'll check back in a couple of years and see who is right

Perhaps we will get to see the ultimate jumping of the shark when a tanking Tesla is bought by space x for "synergy" and the whole thing is funded by "green" flame thrower sales http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/01/tech...out/index.html .

Comment

Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post

And I think critics are are making too much of the new orbit. SpaceX wasn't trying to hit a precise orbit with a precise goal, such as docking with the ISS. They were simply pushing a new configuration to its fuel limits.

All that said, Musk needs to have someone poking him in the side when he starts to make predictions. He is often waaayyy too optimistic. But, he's the billionaire with several big companies, not me.
          That's kind of my point. If you don't know exactly what the limits of the new fuel configuration are, you have no business launching rockets. As you said, space is hard, and trial and error is a terrible way to operate a space transportation company.

Comment

I thought this guy was in the cologne business....
            sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
            "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

"What's his offense?"
              "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
              ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

I don't have 2 wait a couple of years

Wall street finally got around to looking at numbers instead of listening to Elon's fairy tales. Tesla down about 14% in 2 days, and the market isn't even in correction territory yet. If you want a decent laugh read the transcripts of any of the last 4 Tesla earnings calls. You can learn about "stepped exponentials" and how Elon wants to build a hyperloop to transport seats to his factory. Pure genius. I'd bet Space X is just as big of a train wreck, but who knows since its private.

Comment

Working...
                X