Falcon Heavy Test Flight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon Heavy Test Flight

I can't believe none of our resident science geeks have posted about the Falcon Heavy launch today. Pretty darn amazing! The tandem booster landing was a sight to behold. But I never heard if they recovered the center booster (it was supposed to land on an at sea platform).

Anyway, there is a Tesla Roadster streaming through space playing Bowie's Starman on the radio on it's way to Mars. Gotta love Elon Musk! American ingenuity and exceptionalism at it's finest!
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Well, if you insist.

Just cool shots:

A live recorded video of Starman at the wheel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2...ature=youtu.be

And rockets flying - and landing - in formation:
    https://twitter.com/nerdpunch/status/960985303451357184
    Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-06-18, 11:05 PM.
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
      But I never heard if they recovered the center booster (it was supposed to land on an at sea platform).
      No, Musk said one of the engines did not fire to bring it back to Earth and so it went into the Atlantic.

Musk says that the core ran out of propellant, which kept the core from being able to slow down as much as it needed for landing. Because of that, the core apparently hit the water at 300MPH, and it was about 100 meters from the ship. "It was enough to take out two thrusters and shower the deck with shrapnel," Musk said. That should be worth seeing on video: "We have the video," Musk confirmed, "it sounds like some pretty fun footage... if the cameras didn't get blown up as well."
      Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
      Anyway, there is a Tesla Roadster streaming through space playing Bowie's Starman on the radio on it's way to Mars.
      Actually Bowie's Space Oddity (performed here on the ISS by Chris Hadfield when Bowie died).

ETA: Bonus points for knowing the source of the DON'T PANIC! sign on the dashboard.
      Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-06-18, 11:22 PM.
      "What's his offense?"

Comment

The glove box contained "the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" and a towel(which those in the know will laugh about)

That tandem rocket landing was truly amazing. And the fact that they've done it over 9 times out of ten is what gets me.

As it was said on the internet,
        A billionaire launched his private roadster into orbit with David Bowie playing on loop in the greatest aeronautical spectacle since 1973. They recovered 2/3 rockets remotely landing vertically on launch pads nearby to the launch site. The third rocket just slightly missed its remote robot controlled landing pad in the middle of the Atlantic.

Last year was a kick in the privates as far as the future of humanity. This turns that around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

I can't stop watching the live feed of him just cruising through space on the worlds most powerful rocket!
          minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Observation:

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but I did grow up across the street from Neil Armstrong so I have been following space flight for some time. What we saw yesterday was a great splash of showmanship and headline grabbing and this is exactly what we needed. Space remains the ultimate opportunity for those with the nerve to experiment and explore. The last round of space exploration brought back no rare minerals, but it created a trove of advances in technology and consumer products unparalleled.

The soul of this is the intent of one man to do it! Can you imagine any corporate board approving this level of expense for something they would never understand and with no promise of any ROI? Worse, can you imagine the US Congress funding anything like this? I find the whole private enterprise approach exciting and the dash of showmanship will grab the national spot light. The video of the twin landings alone is priceless!

There is one down side to all this ................ what a waste of a perfectly good roadster!

Comment

I would love to think Mr. Musk is all about private enterprise and capitalism.

I could do a lot with $5 billion in US government handouts.

I also know first hand how investment is space travel trickles down to commerce here on Earth. I was fortunate to participate in ocular diagnostic instruments designed for the space shuttles and bring that technology to eye practices here on Earth. They helped change eye care practices for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by eyeflyfish View Post
                I could do a lot with $5 billion in US government handouts.
                Where are you seeing this? SpaceX is privately funded and the only government contribution comes in the form of launch-for-hire payments; i.e.. the government is a customer. I’ll grant you that they are large payments but they are not handouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-07-18, 12:47 PM.
                "What's his offense?"

Comment

The 3rd burn must have been a bit more than expected. The Tesla is now on an orbit to blow past Mars and into the asteroid belt. Where it should ride for a few million years, if not longer.

"What's his offense?"

Comment

Gummit Handouts

All kinds of businesses benefit from government largess. A few that come to mind are transportation, mining, forestry, agriculture and medicine (especially big pharma). States, counties and cities provide significant tax and other development credits to new businesses. While many of these grind my shorts - like hard rock mining - many are good investments in the long run. Sometimes those handouts turn out to be great investments like the GI Bill after WWII. I forget the exact ROI but it was many, many times the original investment. Personally, I think the GI Bill should be a permanent function and do something to support our current veterans.

Comment

So, is the car still attached to the rocket? And how did they expose the car to space like that?

PS: and I can see some future sci-fi movie having a scene where a space ship is traveling through the solar system and comes upon a red roadster cruising happily along with Mr. Starman at the wheel. A collective What the ****! is heard from everyone on the bridge.

Buck Henry
                      Simple Goat Herder
                      Former NGTO President
                      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Not really impressed

in the 70's we shot rockets into space that were capable of extreme precision. Musk launches a rocket into space that misses its intended orbit completely and we are supposed to be amazed! All of this with 100x more computational power and 40+ years worth of engineering advancements.

Bringing a booster back is cool, but most engineers will tell you, it's not really practical. yeah, you get to reuse the stages, but the extra fuel required to land them decreases the payload to the point where its returns don't justify the risk inherent on each launch (remember only 2 of 3 boosters came back this time). This is a classic case of a solution looking for a problem.

Musk is a modern PT Barnum. His companies rely on spectacle, but when you drill down past the surface, you see the myriad of flaws. You think there is a correlation between this launch and Tesla earnings coming out today? Those earnings will be absolutely terrible, but hey look, a rocket!

Comment

Buck Henry
                          Simple Goat Herder
                          Former NGTO President
                          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

If you want to bash SpaceX then a fair point is that the Falcon Heavy launch was originally planned for 2014. Losing one rocket on the pad and another on its way to orbit slowed down their development plans.

Space is hard.

As for the overshoot...I'm not so sure it was. They wanted to expend all of the fuel in the third burn to reach a minimal heliocentric orbit and exceeded the plan. SpaceX has already demonstrated multiple times that they can deliver precision payload placement.

You'll have to ask Musk about the ROI of reusing boosters. He seems to have a good handle on the math. And here's a BusinessInsider assessment of the GP using various assumptions.

Buck, this is a shot of the car on its mating platform before they closed the farings. So it's still attached to that conical platform but I'm pretty sure the final stage was released after the burn.

"What's his offense?"

Comment

I'm referring to the fact that Musk moved the Tesla earning call up a few weeks. I don't think its a coincidence that it is now a day after the falcon heavy launch.

Yes, space is hard! That's why you should do the math and know precisely how much fuel you have and exactly where you will be when you burn it. I've done all of this math....its hard, but for a team of engineers, it should be child's play. Heck, the apollo 13 crew did it on the fly! No engineer on earth (or mars) would say---"this is going to end up in this orbit unless it does better than we thought it would, then it may overshoot." That's absolute insanity. Would you send a 100 million dollar payload into space after a test like that? This isn't a company in someones garage; you don't get a bunch of do overs. Each launch is extremely expensive, you need to know exactly what will happen.

Musk pretty much never hits his goals, almost always over promises and under delivers, and even out right lies to his customers. You could buy a tesla and pay a few extra grand for "full self driving" a few years ago, and tesla is nowhere close to having full self driving capability. Tesla bailed out Musk and his cousins when they bought solar city for "synergy," but that company is a giant boat anchor, and has been quietly put on the backburner. I'm passionate about this, because a lot of well meaning but ignorant people put their money and faith in Musk, but at best he is a well meaning, but over his head futurist, and at worst a charlatan.

Comment

Working...
                              X