The Great NGTO Poll of 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great NGTO Poll of 2018

Speck and I were having a discussion today about folks getting their feelings hurt on the board. I've heard several folks mention that things are getting "out of hand" with all the negative posts, which I find fascinating. I'm curious how many folks remember, or are even familiar with the infamous "pre-politics ban" days. I decided to run a little "scientific poll" to see how much our readership knows about the history of NGTO. This should be fun.
    I remember Owl
    34.62%
    I'm familiar with Owl
    23.08%
    Who?
    42.31%
    The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

He actually went by several alias. Just "Owl", The Owl," "Patriot Owl," and others. I think he posted anonymously as "DooDoo Lips" or something like that, among other names. Brings back memories...
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

NiteOwl was his original name I believe.

Hey Sam, how did you manage to make it out unscarred living through such brutal discussions. I mean, politics? You have amazing reliance.

FM
      The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

How could anyone forget Owl? Those were the worst "good ol' days" and glad we have a nicer place to hang out now.
        RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Funny you bring this up Bub. Owl was the first thing that came to me when this latest fiasco was posted. Got a little bloody and nasty at times but was interesting to watch from the bleachers.

Comment

I've not been around long enough, but I heard offended and it got me riled up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Art of Debate

I had an arrogant 8th grader a couple years ago who refused to do what I asked him to do. I told him, "kid, there are two arguments you will never win. One is with a teacher the other is with a cop."

His response was that he would never lose an argument because he would never give up and accept any answer other than his own. Owl was a lot like that 8th grader. But a real debate is a presentation of arguments for and against a particular issue or matter, then questions, then a decision based on merit. Most folks do not understand this. Many think the winner is the person who speaks the longest and loudest no matter how ridiculous their position.

We have seen a degradation of debate in part due to a mass media which functions based upon a pre-determined position on anything aligned with their ongoing ideology. And we have a national figure who during a national televised debate took to walking around behind the other party in the debate. That physical presence was a clear effort to distract the audience from hear opposing viewpoints. Again, the Owl.

In his weird little way, Owl was sort a pre-announcement of debate and argument postures to come. But in the end, on most matters only one position is correct. Once the case is made and decided, it's time to accept your error and move on. If the scoreboard says it's 14 to 7 at the end of the game, the game is over. Same in a debate. As for myself, I have no particular ideology, but I do try to make people think about all the options and all the potential impacts of their position.
              Last edited by JOHNKIES; 08-04-18, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I am sure Owl will enjoy reading this thread.
                Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                Simple Goat Herder
                Former NGTO President
                Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I remember The Owl way back when my handle was milkbonejoey71, around 2001ish... I was just a wee hillbilly then.

I agree with RScott. The forum seemed more active back then, but it is much better now in my opinion.
                  Last edited by buckman1; 08-04-18, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
                    NiteOwl was his original name I believe.

Hey Sam, how did you manage to make it out unscarred living through such brutal discussions. I mean, politics? You have amazing reliance.

FM
                    I vote we bring back a political forum, at least on a trial run. Iím certain that would add to the entertainment factor, particularly with our current membership. The political forum on the GON forum is a bit redundant, BUT the membership on that forum is a bit wackadoo.

Comment

Owl was always fun. Heís Still around on various message boards but in a much more mellow postings.
                      I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Ran into Owl a few years ago at the shallow water show. I seem to remember he also created his own msg board soon after leaving. I miss Grey Ghost, he was a fun guy who did many great things for NGTO back in the day. Dreamland BBQ events were lots of fun, unless you were the designated driver for Fire Walker. Lol
                        Dennis C...""Giving Stripers everywhere a bad day!!""

Comment

Jeff is a good old guy. We fiished and he showed me a few things about fly fishing when I was new to it. He was pretty fun to hang with. He was never anything other than kind and courteous in my interactions with him. His on screen persona was entirely at odds with the way he was in ďreal lifeĒ.

My policy is I donít talk politics on the fishing sites and I donít talk fishing on the political sites.

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
                            I vote we bring back a political forum, at least on a trial run. Iím certain that would add to the entertainment factor, particularly with our current membership. The political forum on the GON forum is a bit redundant, BUT the membership on that forum is a bit wackadoo.
                            Rscott is right, we are better off with no politics. There are plenty of places to "do politics", but they just get in the way around fishing. I think if we, as a group, learned anything about having wide open political discussions, is that nobody changed anybody's mind, and it really was just a bunch of aggravation for everyone. Owl was the example of what can happen when that goes too far.

FM
                            The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

I miss Owl and regret that we've never had a chance to fish together.
                              Speck

Follower of Christ
                              Pursuer of trout
                              -------------------------------------------------
                              "Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson

Comment

Working...
                              X