Buford Dam Construction Photos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buford Dam Construction Photos

Was cleaning up old photo files on my computer and came across these that I found in a trash box about 30 years ago and scanned.

buford-dam-001.jpg-copy by Natureman29, on Flickr

buford dam 005 by Natureman29, on Flickr

buford dam 004 by Natureman29, on Flickr

buford dam 003 by Natureman29, on Flickr

buford dam 002web by Natureman29, on Flickr
    Last edited by natureman; 06-18-19, 08:38 AM.

This is really neat. Thank for posting.

Comment

Thanks for the posting.... Great photos.

Comment

This just became one of my favorite threads. Can we have this stickied please?
        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

That's really cool to see. One thing I noticed is that the land behind the dam (now submerged in the lake) doesn't look much lower than surrounding areas. Not what I expected...
          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Here is a slide program I did 30 years ago that has more photos (unfortunately low-rez) . https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=09S8tGRkQiQ
            Last edited by natureman; 06-17-19, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Fascinating post and that you tube video was very informative..

Comment

Notice they only had to pay $30 an acre for farm land to clear for the lake. Also in the slide show at maybe slide #5 or 6 see how many men wore hats in that era. Men's hats were very popular then. I was 15 when the Dam was finished in '57. Me and some buddies drove over to see the place around 1960. I watched construction of Allatoona dam when I was 6, 7 and 8 years old. It was only about 15 minutes from my house.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
                  Notice they only had to pay $30 an acre for farm land to clear for the lake. Also in the slide show at maybe slide #5 or 6 see how many men wore hats in that era. Men's hats were very popular then. I was 15 when the Dam was finished in '57. Me and some buddies drove over to see the place around 1960. I watched construction of Allatoona dam when I was 6, 7 and 8 years old. It was only about 15 minutes from my house.
                  Hey Alaska was what 39 or 49 cents an acre? Best time to plant a tree is 30 years ago. Best time to buy land is whenever you have the cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                  -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Foundation for the Powerhouse. Sluice tunnel is far right. Left and middle is water supply to the three turbines. Small rectangle excavation above is inspection tunnel for traveling from the Powerhouse to the Intake structure on the lakeside.

BU 341 Tailrace by Natureman29, on Flickr

Comment

I'm digging that swinging rope ladder to the far right side. Bet that was a joy to climb.

Comment

Working...
                      X