best fly fishing camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best fly fishing camera

So my lovely family has decided to purchase me a camera for fly fishing. I am afraid to shove phone underwater for photos. I would like to hear my experienced colleagues opinions on what should be purchased.
    I appreciate the help.

I picked up a waterproof Panasonic 3 years ago and it is a trooper. I will buy another one when I need to replace it.
    Check out my personal Facebook page Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia and my Instagram Page Tightlinesjoe where I give tips on different tactics, stream reports and pictures of Georgia trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

Comment

MY Olympus TG was lost in the river for around a month. An NGTO member found it, and it still worked.
      We are the music-makers,
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
      And sitting by desolate streams;
      World losers and world forsakers,
      On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

I think Gout's story wins. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

After doing repeated "bobble & grabs" with my cell phone at the Lake, I decided that it was only time before the phone would go overboard. I just got a FujiFilm XP120 to use in the skiff. It was rated quite highly and somewhat less $ than other digital waterproof cameras; lots of features and simple to use.

Comment

My Olympus super tough as done a great job for 8 years .
            Catch the energy
            Release the potential

Comment

Is the only purpose of the camera to take underwater shots?

Comment

Underwater and stills. Maybe a short video every now and then.

The main purpose is to have something that costs less than my phone and has less business information lost should it hit the water.

Comment

Haven't used one but have seen some pretty decent footage from the gopro hero 5. They are on sale everywhere for $299 which is a pretty big price reduction.
                  Last edited by natureman; 12-20-17, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Olympus TG5 is the best hard-use waterproof point and shoot on the market right now, followed by either the Nikon W300 or the (ha!) Olympus TG4.
                    I had an old Pentax W60 that had nice menus, good controls, but awful still/video quality (it was OLD). Recently upgraded to a Nikon AW120 (used) for cheap, and it's a mixed bag. AWFUL menus, lack of any manual mode, but nice lens and better low light capability.
                    Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I think its the Olympus in santa's bag

Comment

I love my Olympus. It takes great pictures and is easy to operate. I need that need that simplification. Go Pros work well too.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

Olympus TG5

Okay! Santa delivered!
                          Now the fun begins. Do I set the camera to "fish" and take still photos underwater? Does take a "burst" of photos then I cull the bad ones? Or does it take a video underwater?

This whole photo taking thing seems almost like a foreign language!

Comment

Working...
                          X