Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fly Fisherman Needs Gear

Hey everyone,

I am just starting out. I'm looking for a 3 or 4 weight rod and reel, primarily for occasional use in the mountains on medium and smaller sized water. I'm hoping someone has some entry-level gear they'd like to sell because they upgraded to something better or just don't use it any more.

Hey Mark, and welcome to NGTO. What kind of budget are you working with? I'm sure there are some outfits out here that will fit your needs, but we need to know a starting point.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Hey fishnpreacher! I'd love to find a quality used combo for 200 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by markwatson View Post
        Hey fishnpreacher! I'd love to find a quality used combo for 200 or so.
        I bought a TFO Rod with reel for under 200. With rod, reel line and backing with Tax was $250.00 at Bass Pro.

Comment

With a budget of $200, you are limited, but with the markets today, you have a whole lot more to choose from. If you want new, there are some combos out there under your budget, but they come with a lesser quality line. You will want to go with a better line eventually. TFO, Redington, and others have entry level outfits at reasonable prices.
          Check with Unicoi Outfitters, Alpharetta Outfitters or The Fish Hawk and see what they can do. There are several folks on here (me included) who fish Eagle Claw fiberglass outfits. The rod will run about 40-50 bucks. Your reel will be not much more than something to store line, so you can get by for 40-50 bucks for reel. That leaves you $100 or so to get line, leader, and a few flies. And you get a fun little outfit for less than 200. These outfits are stout enough to handle some decent sized fish. I caught a 4+ pound spotted bass on mine a few weeks back.
          If you shop around for a little while, you may run across a good used outfit to suit your needs.

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Mark, I have a TFO rod, 9' 5wt, in great shape, used about 5 times; Cabelas prestige reel with WF floating line as well. If interested I will let it go for $175. Please PM me if you need further info.

Thanks.

Kelly Hinson

Comment

Thanks everyone! Just looking at Amazon I see a 6'6" Eagle Claw featherlight rod for 25 bucks. The reviews look like people enjoy it. Would this be fine for my primary application--fishing small wooded streams in the mountains approximately 12 times a year? Is there a particular higher-quality line I should look out for?

Comment

Itd be fine for flinging dries in tight quarters. If you get a more modern 3wt itd be a more versatile tool. Still able to fling dries in rhodo but you can bust out a 60 foot cast if you find yourself on bigger water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Mark, you would be fine with that rod in mountain streams "bluelining." Cortland 444 Peach has long been an industry standard. There are MANY variations on fly lines these days, but I would suggest a "standard" floating flyline. No need to get caught up with different tapers and such for a bluelining outfit. You will be doing a lot of roll casts and short line fishing. You should be able to get a line in the $50-$60 range. Did you decide on a reel? You won't need an expensive reel with latest/greatest drag for 10inch fish. I have a $30 reel that does what I need, and as I said earlier, it handled some 4 pound spotted bass with ease.

Comment

Thanks, fishnpreacher and troutbum69. I am looking at this Croch reel: https://www.amazon.com/Croch-Fishing...MSM&th=1&psc=1

and this Eagle Claw one: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Bl...8-1&th=1&psc=1

Just checked out the Cortland 444 Peach floating line you're talking about--Amazon has it for $59.

Comment

Another line to consider...SA Mastery GPX is generally a very highly regarded WF floating line and you can get it on closeout for $30 @ sierra trading post. It will work fine with the eagle claw for small streams and it will outperform the cortland if you ever decide to upgrade to a modern fly rod with a faster action...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When you buy your reel, stay away from silver or flashy reels. Go with a dark matte finish. You want to be stealthy, and a bright finished reel can reflect light and spook fish.

Comment

I took an Orvis 101 class, got a coupon, and started out with an Orvis Encounter setup for like $150. Used it weekly for over a year, then sold the rod and reel separately for more than I paid for the entire outfit on eBay. Not a bad option.

https://www.orvis.com/store/product....subcat_id=7309

After that, I fished a Sage Approach outfit. Discontinued models can provide a ton of value and are still backed by factory warranty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGE-490-4-...MAAOSw14xWPQyj

Comment

Originally posted by markwatson View Post
                            I have this reel in a 5/6 on a 8ft Eagle Claw Featherlight. I also use it on a Redington 9ft 5wt and have had no issues with it. I imagine the 3/4 would be just fine.

Comment

I purchased this TFO NXT rod and reel combo with the TFO LA reel about a month ago, and it is AWESOME! It's a 9ft., 5-6wt., 4 piece. Comes with backing, WF fly line, and a leader already spooled up. It also comes with a sweet rod and reel tube. I got mine from Backcountry.com for $150 w/free 2 day shipping. I just checked Backcountry, and they are not currently carrying it anymore. That said, I found it on Mad River Outfitter's website for $150. Here's the link: https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p...-rod-kits.aspx. Both rod and reel are covered by TFO's lifetime warranty. One of the best warranty programs out there, if you ask me. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X