This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS Feed Reader, Modern Daily Digest option

We have been trying to get our previous process of gathering and transmitting the Daily Digest out via email with the new vBulletin5 version. Due to the major changes in the vB code our Daily Digest code no longer works and may need to be totally re-written since there is no formal Daily Digest support for vB5

However, I did come across an option that is being supported because it integrates better with new social media and mobile device formats.

If you were wondering what those little orange RSS symbols were next to each Forum {"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3-14-2019 11-38-56 PM.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t891 Bytes ID:\t1108304","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1108304","data-size":"medium"}

If you clicked on it, it just opened up a webpage full of wrapped text. You could see the text was related to latest posts, but not in a format one would want to read.

I reached out to Google for information. Reading through the Wiki and couple other searches I discovered RSS = Rich Site Summary

" RSS is a type of web feed which allows users and applications to access updates to online content in a standardized, computer-readable format. These feeds can, for example, allow a user to keep track of many different websites in a single news aggregator. The news aggregator will automatically check the RSS feed for new content, allowing the content to be automatically passed from website to website or from website to user. This passing of content is called web syndication. Websites usually use RSS feeds to publish frequently updated information, such as blog entries, news headlines, or episodes of audio and video series. RSS is also used to distribute podcasts. An RSS document (called "feed", "web feed",or "channel") includes full or summarized text, and metadata, like publishing date and author's name.

A standard XML file format ensures compatibility with many different machines/programs. RSS feeds also benefit users who want to receive timely updates from favourite websites or to aggregate data from many sites.

Subscribing to a website RSS removes the need for the user to manually check the website for new content. Instead, their browser constantly monitors the site and informs the user of any updates. The browser can also be commanded to automatically download the new data for the user. "

Learned you can install a free RSS Feed Reader Add-on to any broswer and there are free RSS feed reader apps for mobile devices as well.

Below, I'm documenting how I configured one of those free FireFox browser add-ons:

I found and loaded "Feedbro" add-on for FireFox. Via Tools>Add-ons, and then just searched for RSS Feed Reader. I just picked Feedbro cause it was at the top of the list.

Then with the main NGTO forum page open I clicked on the RSS icon that was added to my Browser menu bar and selected "Find Feeds in Current Tab"

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3-14-2019 11-56-21 PM.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t23.3 KB ID:\t1108305","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1108305","data-size":"full"}

I placed a check in the box next to NGTO Message Board and then clicked Subscribe.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3-14-2019 11-59-04 PM.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t23.6 KB ID:\t1108306","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1108306","data-size":"full"}
    The RSS icon on my browser menu bar displayed a numerical count representing the number of posts it just gathered. {"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3-15-2019 12-01-36 AM.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t1.5 KB ID:\t1108307","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1108307","data-size":"medium"}

Now when I clicked on the icon it opened up a box that listed all the latest posts on the whole forum.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3-15-2019 12-03-45 AM.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t67.5 KB ID:\t1108308","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1108308","data-size":"full"}

When I click on any of the post titles it opens up the post, including most attached graphics in a much nicer format then the Daily Digest email.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3-15-2019 12-06-30 AM.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t35.2 KB ID:\t1108309","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1108309","data-size":"full"}

When the RSS Reader app is opened, if I click on the subscribed RSS Feed site on the left (NGTO Message Board), it opens up all of the most recent posts that I can scroll down through and view.

If I Right-Click on the same link, I can have it manually manually update the RSS feed.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3-15-2019 12-11-18 AM.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t23.0 KB ID:\t1108310","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1108310","data-size":"full"}

If I Right-Click on that link again and select "Properties", you will see a page that allows you to customize feed update collection intervals "Scan Interval".

Also, I did not have to put in any Username or Password for all of this to work on this Properties screen.

3-16-2019 12-40-22 PM.jpg

3-16-2019 12-44-51 PM.jpg

Please give it a try and see what you think, while we continue to try and get the Daily Digest email-er back up and running.

I personally think this is a bigger bang for the buck then the Daily Digest email and one of the Social Media reasons we upgraded to the new vB version.

Thank You for your patience !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SlowStreamer; 03-16-19, 11:57 AM.
    Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.

Bump. Seems like a kewl way to get the daily updates. Thanks Sam!

Comment

• SlowStreamer
      SlowStreamer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks George. I just saw where Aaron had posted a Sticky about RSS feed link. I'm right now trying to see if I can add our current RSS link to an option for RSS in TapaTalk setup.

Fingers crossed.
Working...
X