Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spring Fling is just around the corner, and at every Fling it's always fun to help folks discover the fun of fly tying! Sometimes we do that with a more-or-less formal "Intro to Fly Tying" course. But this year we're going to do it a little differently with a series of several "fly tying mini-workshops" through the course of the morning, each focusing on a specific pattern or type of pattern -- and with something for folks of all skill levels.

This should be a lot of fun!

Length of each session: Each session (except the last one, which is shorter) will last about 45-50 minutes. That'll let you learn some new tying skills without having to commit the whole morning to it and will leave you plenty of time to enjoy the other exciting things going on at the Fling. Remember that having fun and learning is what it's all about!

Signing up: If you'd like to be a part of one of these sessions, please let me know on this thread so that I'll be sure to have enough materials and tools on hand -- but as long as there's space and material, "walk-ins" are welcome too.

Can I come to multiple sessions? Of course! Just let me know which sessions you'd like to attend.

Making it work (this one's important): The trick to making this work will be to start each mini-session on time, of course, so I'll ask participants to keep that in mind as they plan their day's activities.

Cost? There is no cost of any kind for these mini tying workshops. I'll provide all materials, hooks, thread, and everything else you'll need. I'll even have plenty of fly tying tools on hand for you to use if you don't have your own. However, if you think about it, please bring a bottle of clear Sally Hansen Hard as Nails nail polish for use as "head cement."

What are the patterns? Oh yes -- I almost forgot that critical little detail! From the suggestions I received, I've picked four. And so [drum roll, please] and without further ado, here are the topics for each session...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Articulated Streamer" Clinic
    (8:30-9:30 a.m.)

Skill level: Intermediate
    Big fish love big meals -- and when it comes to imitating a supersized snack for fish, it's hard to beat a minnow imitation such as an articulated streamer. This session will teach you the basics of tying articulated flies with an emphasis on technique. You'll learn the how and why of articulation, and as you do you'll create a great fly -- the Articulated Black Woolly -- that is a proven producer when fishing for trout, for bass, and even for saltwater species. In other words, if it eats minnows then the Articulated Black Woolly will probably do the job! Please note that the Articulated Streamer session is designed for tyers who already have intermediate tying skills, and plan to be there and ready to go at 8:30 a.m. sharp, ready to learn a set of tying techniques that you can then use to create a wide range of articulated patterns!

Participants in this session:
    1) Lumis
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)

"Blue Assassin" Clinic
    (9:30-10:30 a.m.)

Skill level: Intermediate
    If you fish for trout, you know how effective midge emerger imitations can be -- especially on tailwaters such as our very own Chattahoochee. In this session you'll learn to tie one of the all-time top midge emerger patterns for Chattahoochee (and other) trout. It's the Blue Assassin, and it is sure to become one of your very favorite patterns for trout far and wide! Participants should have basic tying skills and should be comfortable with working with smaller hooks.

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)

"Popping Bug" Clinic
    (10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.)

Skill level: Beginner
    Who doesn't love popping bugs? Whether you're fishing for bluegill or bass, they're incredible flies. And here's a secret but don't tell anyone: If you tie very small poppers, they're great for small-stream trout too! In this session, you'll learn how to tie foam-bodied poppers using (are you ready for this?) flip-flop soles to make the bodies! Tying poppers is fun all by itself, and putting them to work on the water is like icing on the cake!

1) Lumis
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)

Mr. Steve's Super Secret Big Fish Fly
    (11:30 a.m. - noon)

Skill level: Beginners, especially kids (of all ages!) who would like to try their hand at fly tying for the very first time!
    Here's a chance for kids (of all ages!) to try their hand at tying a great first-timer's fly! Mr. Steve's Super Secret Big Fish Fly is a fantastic pattern for experiencing how much fun fly tying can be, and it's also a good fly on the water! This session is designed for anyone (adult or child) who would like to see what fly tying is all about, and absolutely no experience is necessary! If you're bringing kids to this one, please note that an adult must accompany each child.

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)

​​​​​​​If you have any questions, please ask.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Fling!

Best,

Steve

Last edited by Steve Hudson; 03-21-19, 08:10 PM.

I'd like to sign up for the streamer and popping bug sessions! Not sure if I fit the intermediate requirement of the streamers though.

Comment

Lumis, thanks for signing up. It will be fun (and it's an easy intermediate, so you'll be fine!)

Best,

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X