This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Fall Fling - Side Dishes and the Iron Skillet Award

Hey all you cooks, wannabe cooks or anyone who can throw a mean spatula!

As with prior Flings we need your help with Side Dishes to help feed the masses. NGTO is cooking the BBQ but we need as many side dishes as we can rustle up since the Fall Fling usually brings out about 250 hungry people.

Always needed are deserts and it's perfectly OK if we have three different batches of Chocolate Chip Cookies or four different sets of brownies or seven kinds of gooey cake (Doris, are you reading this? )

Baked beans, green bean salad, three-bean salad - if it's got beans in it that's great!

A big batch of grandma's secret slaw? Wonderful!

Corn casserole? Bring it!

The only limit is your imagination. And as before we'll have paper buckets in front of each dish on the buffet tables. Fall Flingers will receive one ticket (usually red) to vote for their favorite side dish. The cook with the most tickets wins the NGTO Iron Skillet! (really, it's an Iron Skillet.) You also win culinary bragging rights for another year.

So please start thinking about those side dishes and we'll look forward to seeing them - and eating them - at the Fall Fling on November 3!
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Originally posted by TrBout8myfly View Post
    Hey all you cooks, wannabe cooks or anyone who can throw a mean spatula!

Baked beans, green bean salad, three-bean salad - if it'got beans in it that's great!

So please start thinking about those side dishes and we'll look forward to seeing them - and eating them - at the Fall Fling on November 3!
    I guess that includes ROOSEVELT BEANS!!??
    I'll be there, got the bean pot seasoned and ready

C U AT TH FLING!!
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

I caught a whiff of wood smoke this morning which reminded me that the Fall Fling is only a month away, which means it's not too soon to be thinking about what Side Dishes you might bring!

As before the winner of the Iron Skillet contest is the industrious chef who prepares the most-liked side dish, sweet or savory. The rules are simple;
      • Each side dish will have a bucket placed in front of the dish.
      • Each Fling participant will be issued one (1) ticket with which to cast their vote for the side dish they liked the best.
      • This year you'll need to decide; did I like those Best Under the Sun Big Box Brownies more than Grandma's Baked Beans with Enzymes?

The winner takes home a new Lodge skillet!

So please do bring your side dishes! (And keep in mind, in good weather the Fall Fling brings out about 250 hungry souls. You don't need to feed them all but a little extra is appreciated.)
      "What's his offense?"

Comment

It's getting closer. let's not forget to bring your award winning side dishes.
        sigpic
        ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
        - B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

Comment

Just a bump to the top and a request for side dishes!
          "What's his offense?"

Comment

I know ya'll are probably getting tired of seeing me push this to the top - but dagnnabit the Fall Fling is THIS SATURDAY and we need all the side dishes you shake a spatula at!
            "What's his offense?"

Comment

Let's give a shout out Trout8myfly's avatar!!!
              sigpic
              ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
              - B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

Comment

I like the avatar....it would be better if it was full of ROOSEVELT BEANS!
                I gotcha beans coming......I need some competition, so BRING IT!!!

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Unfortunately I will not be able to make this year to defend my title so it looks as if Bill will add some more cast to his collection this year via "The Roosevelt Beans"....UNLESS someone steps their cook'n up a notch
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

Comment

I may try cooking something just for a change of pace (insert peanut butter jelly sandwich here)...
                    Can you Quack??

Comment

Question, how are the sides kept warm? Is it something provided?

Comment

We can provide power but that's it. Sorry!
                        "What's his offense?"

Comment

Originally posted by Britt View Post
                          Question, how are the sides kept warm? Is it something provided?
                          I cook in cast iron so thats a plus in keeping warm. Then I wrap it in 2 or 3 old towels or a small blanket and put it in an ice chest. It will stay hot for 3hours or more, as long as you keep the lid closed. Others have brought coleman stoves, etc to keep dishes hot.

Comment

Just got the beans in the pot....they will go in the oven about 7 in the AM, Then after a couple of hours, wrap'em up, put'em in the cooler and FLING BOUND!!

See you folks in the morning!

Comment

Working...
                            X