This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Fall Fling Fly Tying Grab Bags: Sat. Nov. 2nd

OK guys and girls...NGTO needs your help on some donations of extra tying material you've got laying around. It's that time of year and you knew it was coming.

NGTO has done this in the past and I know this year will blow the doors off the amount of stuff we've gotten before!!!! We had at least five STUFFED bags last year and this year I expect no less!

The way this works is everyone chips in and donates a pack or two of tying materials and we use the donated items to put together awesome "Grab Bags" that we add to our bucket raffle auction at the Fling.

Now to make the Grab Bags as attractive as possible, we ask that the item be in like new condition (that means no moth eaten road kill or used up rooster necks! Heck, we all have a pack of hooks, some extra dubbing, a hare's mask, or maybe even a spare rooster neck sitting around that we would be willing to donate to the cause.) If not, the next time you are at your local fly shop, grab an extra item or two to donate to this effort.

We don't have much time between now and November to accumulate a couple of nice bags worth of stuff.

Please consider helping us with this effort as it was definitely a hot bucket raffle item last year and helped raise a lot of money for NGTO. If you have items to donate, please PM me and I will send you my mailing address, we can meet up or you can just bring them the day of the Fling if you know you will be attending. I will accumulate all materials and split them up into hopefully a whole bunch of nice bucket raffle grab bags.

PS: when shopping for your tying supplies, please remember to patronize our fly shop sponsors -

Thanks in advance for your help and another hat tip to our good friend Henry Cowen for coming up with this great idea a few years back! (
    www.henrycowenflyfishing.com).

Post here if you have any questions, heads ups on a PM or just to help bump this thread for a great cause.
    Last edited by Gatorbyte; 10-22-13, 10:14 AM.
    I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Moved to Fling Forum, where all things Fling go to live.

And I'll be contributing.
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

It's a rainy day. UGA has a patsy,UF is playing the VOLs and LSU plays tonight. So what can you do?

Look thru your tying materials and see what you have a few extras of or what you've never used that you can donate to the grab bags!!

I've gotten my first PM asking for my address, so who's number two?
      I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

sigpic

Comment

Bump to the top...and send in those supplies!
        "What's his offense?"

Comment

What address do we send it to
          "Courage is fear that has said it's prayers..." Captain Guy D. Gruters USAF Ret, Vietnam War 1967-1973 (POW)

Comment

Yeah it's early, but it's game day and I feel like a kid at Christmas.

I've received a few PM's and a couple have posted here. Hopefully you've gotten my PM's with my address

But I'm bumping my thread because the Fling will be here before you know it and I'd really like to fill up a table.

In the past, I've done my best to put a little of everything in each bag and or divided it up between salt, warm water and trout tying materials. But in order to do this NGTO needs some donations!

This year I'll be posting pictures as materials come in.

Here are some ideas on how to get some items:

* I'm going to go thru my stuff again and see what I don't need or I have multiples of. (I've already done this once but I'm doing it again).

* Got a friend that is or do you know of a taxidermist?

* Do you visit Gatorbytes home? Steal some of his stuff when he's not looking.

* Making a trip to your local fly shop? What's one more item? Doesn't have to be big, packet of hooks, beads, etc.

Take a look around, see what you have or you can do to help out and send me a PM.

Don't tie? Don't worry any of our sponsors will be more than happy to hook you up. Just tell them what's it's for and how much you can spend and they will help put together an assortment.

Wanting to start tying? This is a great opportunity to bid or a great reason to buy a raffle ticket at the fling. You'll get enough materials to tie as many flies as you can cast into the trees.

sigpic

Comment

Box en route.
              "What's his offense?"

Comment

28... What is the significance?

Is it a 2002 horror film? Yep

Is it a Chicago cover band? Yep

Is it a clean eating program? Yep

Is it how many days until the Fall Fling? Yep.

I've gotten a few packages already and will put up a few photos to wet your appetite. Keep looking thru your stuff and PM me if you plan on donating!

sigpic

Comment

Box of tying gooodies in the hands os the usps...good grief...will sends

Comment

Stuffs coming in and I'm amazed what is here. I think I'll have to get at least the gallon size bags. Maybe even the 2 gallon!

BUT THERE IS STILL TIME AND ROOM FOR ADDITIONAL DONATIONS! PM me to get my address.

sigpic

Comment

Just a little taste to temp you ... There is still time to get tying items in or bring it the morning of the fling.

sigpic

Comment

Okie dokie folks....a few more pics and thank you to those that have donated and to those that still have stuff coming. The Fling is in two weeks and it's crunch time. Please take a peak at your tying tool box, desk, closet or room and see what you don't use or feel like you can part with. If you want to save a few bucks I can meet you for delivery or let me know your bringing it to the Fling.

A couple more pics for now

[/URL

sigpic

Comment

Oh my my...... Christmas came yesterday in a brown suite. (aka UPS)

I'm 99% sure we just surpassed last year in regards to number of grab bags and QUALITY of grab bags. I haven't started seperating all the stuff yet, but its taking up enough room that my wife and kids are commenting on when will it all be leaving the house.

Every year that I've helped out with the Fling I've always been amazed of the generosity of our members. Without you, it wouldn't be a success. THANK YOU!!!

Pictures and more donations soon to come....

sigpic

Comment

I'll sift through all my tying crap this evening. I won't be able to make the fling, but I'm sure I have a ton of tying stuff that I never use that can be donated for this years fling.
                            By reading the above post the reader hereby acknowledges and agrees that the Post may contain errors, omissions, sarcasm and humor (both attempted and actual) or other contents which might upset a Reader. If Reader has a problem with this then Reader shouldnít read the Post or take it seriously. If Reader fails to refrain from reading or taking the Post seriously as mentioned above, then it is the Readerís own fault and I donít want to hear about it.
                            sigpic

Comment

i have been slacking..... I have to get you the stuff i have. will try to get it out tomorrow.
                              "Courage is fear that has said it's prayers..." Captain Guy D. Gruters USAF Ret, Vietnam War 1967-1973 (POW)

Comment

Working...
                              X