Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcing the 2017 Warmwater Fly Tying Class!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing the 2017 Warmwater Fly Tying Class!

Hi folks!

This year's Spring Fling will feature an exciting fly tying class that's just the thing for beginners and experienced tyers alike....

[insert drum roll]

...the 2017 NGTO SPRING FLING WARMWATER FLY TYING WORKSHOP!

The class will be held at the Spring Fling, April 1, at the Buford Hatchery. Time for this class is 9-10:45.

We're particularly excited to offer this tying workshop at this year's Spring Fling!

1. WHY WARMWATER FLIES?

Warmwater fly fishing opportunities for bass, bream and other species are just about everywhere, and the flies we'll be tying are some of the most "fun" flies to tie (and fish) that you'll find! And trout love these flies too (but don't tell anyone...that's top secret). They really do come close to being universal flies!

2. WHAT WE WILL TIE

There are literally thousands of great warmwater fly patterns out there. Which ones will we be focusing on?

After much deliberation and extensive research, I've decided that we'll be focusing on some or all of the following:

1) Popping Bugs -- as close to a universal warmwater fly as you'll ever find
    2) the Bream Buster -- if I had to be limited to one fly for the rest of my life, this might be it!
    3) the TROUT Buster (an easy variation on the Bream Buster)
    4) the Brim-ex (this is one you may not have run across before...it's a highly effective modification of a South African pattern...and it WILL become one of your favorites!).

3. SOUNDS LIKE FUN! BUT DO I HAVE TO BE AN EXPERIENCED FLY TYER TO PARTICIPATE?

This workshop is ideal for new tyers as well as for experienced tyers who want to learn new techniques and new patterns!

If you're a beginning tyer and want to learn the basics of tying, it's hard to beat these particular patterns. They're easy and fun to create, and yet they introduce you to many basic fly tying techniques that you'll use as you move further into fly tying. That makes this workshop perfect for folks who have never tied but who want to sample the fly tying waters.

And if you're a more experienced tyer? Then you'll find that tying these flies brings a whole new dimension (and perhaps a few new tricks and techniques) to your tying experience too...not to mention that South African pattern...!

And in every case you'll end up with some GREAT flies to use throughout the spring, summer and fall months for bass, bream and more!

4. WHAT'S THE WORKSHOP FORMAT?

The workshop, which will be led by Yours Truly, is designed for adults and teens. You'll focus on learning the techniques which tyers use to create these particular flies while creating flies that you'll be able to use throughout the spring, summer and fall.

The class will begin promptly at 9 a.m. and will run until 10:45 a.m. We'll start promptly at 9, so please plan to be in place and ready to go by then.

Please note that this workshop is designed for adults and focused teens.

I suggest that you arrive about 8:45 to be sure that we're ready to go when the 9 a.m. start time rolls around!

Depending on conditions, we will be meeting EITHER in the large shed building immediately adjacent to the main Fling field OR at tables set up outside the building and bordering the main activity area. We may not know which location we'll use until the day before, but we'll be in one place or the other!

5. WHAT ABOUT TYING TOOLS?

All tools (including tying vises if you need them) will be provided for your use during the workshop, but if you have your own by all means bring them! It's always great to be able to use your own tools, but I'll have plenty for those who don't have their own.

6. DO I NEED TO BRING ANY TYING MATERIALS?

All materials (including special kinked-shank Popping Bug hooks, popper body material, legging material, and additional tying materials) will be provided for use in our workshop.

7. IS THERE ANYTHING SPECIAL THAT I SHOULD BRING?

Yes...please bring two things:

(1) Please bring some "Superglue"-type glue -- that is, the instant-setting cyanoacrylate type adhesive. The "gel" formulation works best in this application (it stays in place relatively well!). I suggest you get a brand-name product. They cost a dollar more, but experience shows that they tend to work better.

(2) Please bring a bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish. We'll use this for "head cement" during our tying. If you forget to bring this, don't panic...I'll have some there!...but having your own will speed things along during the tying portion of our time together. And if you really want to be efficient, put the Hard as Nails into a small plastic squeeze bottle...these are available nowadays at many NGTO sponsors in their fly tying departments!

8. SHOULD I BRING A FLY BOX?

There's no need to bring a fly box...we're going to MAKE a custom fly box at the beginning of our workshop...and the box you make will be yours to keep!

9. IS THERE ANY COST?

There's NO CHARGE for this workshop, and everything you'll need is provided (including tying tools if you don't have your own). If you want to chip in to help cover costs, there will be a "donation" jar. But that is not in any sense required!

10. DO I NEED TO SIGN UP?

Yes, please sign up so that I can be sure we have enough materials.

To be sure that we have a great class, this one will be limited to eight people. Please sign up on this thread. When you sign up, please indicate if you need tying tools to use during the class or if you have your own.

Drop me a note if you have any questions. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to tying some great flies with you at the Fling!

Best,

Steve

----------

Spring Fling Warmwater Fly Tying Workshop:

1. WWright
    2. Lil' Heff
    3. freddie4501
    4. Crawfish
    5. cristallo86
    Last edited by Steve Hudson; 03-27-17, 07:53 AM. Reason: adding participant

I would like to participate. I have no tools or anything as of now.

Comment

Sounds like my kind of class - However, need two pieces of information.
      1) When and where
      2) How do we register?
      Thanks

Comment

When and where...

SATURDAY, 1 APRIL 2017 @ the NGTO SPRING FLING
        9:00-10:45am
        Buford Trout Hatchery
        3204 Trout Place Rd
        Cumming, GA 30041

How do you register.... post in this thread that you are going to be there and I'll put you on the list of attendees.

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
        Sounds like my kind of class - However, need two pieces of information.
        1) When and where
        2) How do we register?
        Thanks
        I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Fling

Please register me for this

Thanks

Comment

Count me in.
            IIWFWTIWRTW

Comment

I will take this class. Thanks!

Comment

What's needed for this class/seminar?
                Do we bring vise and materials? Is that supplied?

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                  What's needed for this class/seminar?
                  Do we bring vise and materials? Is that supplied?

Really there are only two items that would be helpful to bring. Super glue or any other instant setting glue and some Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish. Feel free to bring your own vice and tools, as its nice to tie on what you tie with. But if its a pain or you don't have any vices and tying tools, Steve has tools and vices that are provided.

I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Looking forward to our tying workshop next Saturday!

Hi folks! This is shaping up to be a GREAT fly tying workshop, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to tying some great warmwater flies!

Remember that all you need to bring is some Superglue-type glue (the brand name ones like Loctite work best...and various kinds are available just about anywhere) and a bottle of clear Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails nail polish (available at almost any drugstore or in the nail care section of grocery stores, Walmart, etc).

I will have tying tools and tying vises on hand for you to use. However, if you have your own vise/tools, you may be more comfortable tying on those and will want to bring them.

Remember that we will START at 9:00, so please plan to arrive in time to be set up and ready to go by then. I'd suggest planning on being there by 8:45. That will give us plenty of time to get set up and then to learn and tie some great warmwater patterns!

ALSO: I'm not sure whether everyone has tied flies before or not. The patterns we will be tying are certainly suitable for beginning tyers, but if you're a beginner it will help to know a couple of basic tying skills. To that end, I'm planning to be set up and ready to go by 8:30, which will allow about 30 minutes for a quick introduction to basic tying techniques for those who may be new to the fly tying game.

If you would like to be part of that pre-class intro to basic tying techniques, please let me know. If we start it right at 8:30, we'll have plenty of time to get you up to speed in time for our workshop at 9.

Thanks, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Steve

Comment

Latest Spring Fling fly tying workshop roster

Hello all! I've updated the Fling fly tying workshop roster to show the sign-ups that we have as of Monday morning.

Thanks!

Best,

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X