Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting For Recovery Donation

Good evening everyone.

I am writing to let you all know about a very worthy cause that NGTO has decided to support. I received an email today concerning the Casting for Recovery retreat in Georgia that is currently in start up mode. Below is an exerpt of the letter to give an idea of what this is all about:

Casting for Recovery. This program allows women who have recovered from breast cancer or who are currently undergoing treatment to get away from the stress and fear of this dreaded disease for 2-1/2 days. During this time, they will enjoy fellowship with other women who are going through the same fears; receive supportive and educational services by trained professionals; and enjoy being out in nature experiencing the joy of fly fishing.

In past years, women from Georgia have had to travel to North Carolina to attend a retreat. The planning is in place to create a permanent retreat for Georgia women beginning in the Spring of 2012. The event will be held at the Smithgall Woods Lodge and will be available cost- free to 14 deserving women each year.

As you can imagine, a retreat of this type is not cheap and sponsors are needed to make this dream a reality. The initial cost will be $16,000. Funds must be committed before the Casting for Recovery organization meeting in August 2011, for approval of the Georgia retreat.

If you have known a woman who has gone through the struggles of dealing with breast cancer, please make a generous donation. You can donate by sending a check made payable to “CFR – Georgia” to:

Becky Hulsey
    239 Arbor Hills Rd South
    Talking Rock, GA 30175.

You may also donate by going to www.castingforrecovery.org and designating your donation to the Georgia retreat. Casting for Recovery is a tax deductible 501(3)C organization and currently has 44 active retreats across the United States.

The NGTO Board of Directors read the above letter and unanimously felt like this was a very worthy cause and deserving of our support. I am very pleased to announce that NGTO will be donating $2,000 towards their start up funding goal. We believe that the Casting for Recovery program is a very good thing on many levels. Not only does it provide healing comfort and encouragement to those fighting breast cancer, but it also introduces more women to the great sport of fly fishing. And on top of that, it will benefit women who are fellow Georgians!

The Board of Directors also hopes that each and every NGTO member will consider how they can pitch in to help Casting for Recovery raise needed funds. I am certain that many of you have a family member or know of someone who's live has been impacted by this terrible disease. Remember that a bunch of small donations can add up to a very big donation fast!

We are humbled and inspired by those who are spearheading this effort, and look forward to hearing the many great stories of hope and encouragment that come from the Georgia Casting for Recovery Retreat program.
    Last edited by Buck Henry; 06-09-11, 07:17 PM.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Well done

A most excellent decision to support this worthy cause!
    What a long strange trip it's been...and it's not over yet!

Comment

Two Thumbs up

Good choice out of many needs
      RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Way to step up to the plate guys.
        dink
        Some fishermen see no fish and foolishly
        believe that the river is empty.
        Henry Van Dyke

Comment

As part of a Rod Builders guild project - I just sent this rod in to the Asheville NC chapter for Casting For Recovery

Comment

Well done, Mike!

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Thank you to NGTO and the board for the wonderful donation to help us get a CFR here in Georgia!
              Words cannot describe how much these retreats mean to the ladies. They are my heroes.
              Thank you.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks

As the primary fundraiser in Georgia for the Casting for Recovery Georgia Retreat I want to thank NGTO and it's membership for making such a generous donation. Your support has gotten the ball rolling and will result in this most worthy event happening in 2012.

Carl Riggs

I am writing to let you all know about a very worthy cause that NGTO has decided to support. I received an email today concerning the Casting for Recovery retreat in Georgia that is currently in start up mode. Below is an exerpt of the letter to give an idea of what this is all about:

The NGTO Board of Directors read the above letter and unanimously felt like this was a very worthy cause and deserving of our support. I am very pleased to announce that NGTO will be donating $2,000 towards their start up funding goal. We believe that the Casting for Recovery program is a very good thing on many levels. Not only does it provide healing comfort and encouragement to those fighting breast cancer, but it also introduces more women to the great sport of fly fishing. And on top of that, it will benefit women who are fellow Georgians!

The Board of Directors also hopes that each and every NGTO member will consider how they can pitch in to help Casting for Recovery raise needed funds. I am certain that many of you have a family member or know of someone who's live has been impacted by this terrible disease. Remember that a bunch of small donations can add up to a very big donation fast!

We are humbled and inspired by those who are spearheading this effort, and look forward to hearing the many great stories of hope and encouragment that come from the Georgia Casting for Recovery Retreat program. [/QUOTE]

Comment

Casting for Recovery - Georgia

Beverly & I want to thank you for your generous donation and challenge to others to bring Casting for Recovery to Georgia! We have both been involved with this organization for many years and it offers a wonderful program to breast cancer survivors. We're looking forward to helping CFR-Georgia become a reality!
                  Lamar & Beverly Booth

Comment

NGTO's sponsors have been generous, and NGTO's membership has dependably stepped up to the auction table to take advantage of incredible fishing goods and services. This puts NGTO in a position to help where help is needed, and I, personally, am proud to be associated with an organization and membership such as ours.

Thanks go to our sponsors, members and conservation partners.

We also proudly serve as a conduit for events such as the online auction for two guided carp trips by Henry Cowan, which also benefits Casting For Recovery [and the two lucky winners!].

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Another NGTO CFR Donation!

I am pleased to be able to announce that NGTO will be donating an additional $425 to the Georgia Casting for Recovery program. This donation is due to the Nacoochee Bend trip raffle that we just completed (and that Gillseeker won!). Thanks again to all who participated and to the NGTO member who donated the trip! This makes NGTO's total donation to this program at $2425.00.

Combine that figure with the $1,500 that Henry Cowen raised via his donated trips, and NGTO members have helped CFR obtain 25% of the required start-up funds needed. Way to go gang!

Becky, the second check from NGTO is in the mail!
                      Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                      Simple Goat Herder
                      Former NGTO President
                      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Great job; wonderful cause.

Comment

I want to give a big THANKS to NGTO and everyone who has stepped up and given to help us bring CFR to Georgia. I am truly touched and overwhelmed by your support. Its amazing how one act of kindness can stimulate another act of kindness.
                          I can tell you why bringing Casting For Recovery to Georgia means so much to me. I attended my first CFR retreat in May. I met breast cancer survivors who are mothers, daughters, sisters and friends. Although these ladies are faced with battling cancer, they never stop being mothers (worrying about dinner, soccer games, etc), daughters (helping their aging parents), sisters (taking care of loved ones), and friends (lending an ear to problems). So, it was so wonderful to be able to do for them because they do so much for everyone else. They got the opportunity to meet other survivors and make new friends. We taught them all about fly fishing and show them that trout live in beautiful places. Some ladies started off saying they didn't want to touch a trout but by the end of the retreat they are kissing them! Awesome! The ladies had an incredible Bluegrass band come and play for them. And, then, we even did some square dancing (I will deny any pictures of me taken during this time.)
                          Just to let you know: fly casting is very beneficial women after surgery for breast cancer. The movement of arm during fly casting stretches the tissue and helps it to regenerate better.

So again Thank you NGTO family for helping us get a retreat in Georgia.

You can donate any amount ($5 or more) online at www.castingforrecovery.org. Make sure you specify for the Georgia retreat.

Casting For Recovery: To Fish Is To Hope
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X