Watkins Hit Hard!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff, PM sent.

Just read the all the updates on Tom. Clark, thanks for keeping us posted. Please give my best to Tom next time you speak with him. And big thanks to the anonymous donor, that is very generous. This is a great opportunity to help Tom. Just imagine living without electricity for a day, let alone a few weeks, and to have your house wrecked, and your life turned upside down. We can make it all a little better for Tom by making a generous donation that will be matched. As Jeff said, we are a true community here and let's help someone in our community.
    WF
    sigpic
    There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart

Comment

Thanks, WF and to the others that have contacted me. We are already at $615.00 so far, so that is $1,230 to Tom. Let's keep it going.

Comment

PM sent !

This is what NGTO is all about. Yes the fishing, but also the bonds we create as fellow Fisherman and Friends.

Clark and Jeff,

Thanks for making us aware of Tom's situation and pulling us all together to help a good man when he is down.
        Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.
        sigpic

Comment

Great response, folks. We have raised $705.00 so far and that means $1,410.00 to Tom. We should be able to hit the $1,000 mark pretty quick.

Comment

Bumping this back up as I am really hoping we can hit that $1,000 mark to maximize the anonomous donar match! We are close folks, so if you can spare $10 or $20 bucks, please consider sending it to Tom. I want him to be overwhelmed by the number of envelopes that he finds in his mailbox!

If you can help, shoot Jeff or I a PM and we will provide Tom's mailing address.
            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
            Simple Goat Herder
            Former NGTO President
            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
              Clark--Thanks for the heads up on Tom. Keep us posted if you hear more from him. The bad stuff has passed NW or SW of us here in Cartersville so far. I think a cell went over Dan Adams (Gillseeker) up in Ranger outside of Calhoun again. Don't know if he got hit. He has already been hit twice--lost his barn and a bunch of fence last year.
              Just got around to posting here. We were very lucky this time. The cell went around us this time. I do want to take the time to brag on my two oldest daughters. The morning after the tornadoes hit, they woke up at 5 AM and took my diesel and my chainsaw and just went out to see what they could do to help. They spent the next 4 days helping out our neighbors in Sonoraville. I'm telling you, thre are some people hurting up there in that community.
              There are two types of snakes: Chickensnakes and Cobras. If it ain't got a chicken in it's mouth, it's a cobra.

Comment

Thanks to all that have responded. We are standing at exactly $900 being donated as of now. Just need $100 more for the max $1000 match. If all we get is $900 the Tom will get $1,800. So let's knock out the last little bit. I know Tom will be appreciative.

Comment

Match is met!!!

Thanks to everyone's generosity, we have officially hit the $1,000 mark (actually a little north of it) for the $1,000 match. This truely shows the purpose of this community. If you haven't donated, this doesn't mean you can not.

Comment

Folks - there ain't no fat lady singing on this thread, if you are able to help Tom out please do so this week HE HAS TO DRINK WARM BEER for goodness sakes!
                    RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

I just got my check in the mail to Tom with a Note and some Furled Leaders in the real low weights he likes.

The note basically said, here are some furled leaders I'm playing around with and check for your time to test them out.
                      Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.
                      sigpic

Comment

Tom Sighting!

Well, I had a chance meeting with Mr. Watkins today up here in Kennesaw and thought I would give a quick update. Not a much has changed really, he is still working to get low interest funding for the materials needed to basically replace half his house. Turns out that the tree damaged both bedrooms beyond repair. He has labor lined up, just needs to get loan money finalized for materials.

BTW, had that storm hit in the middle of the night, Tom and his wife would probably be dead. He said the tree came right through the bedroom and pretty much hit dead center right on his bed! His wife had heard the storm was coming and got out of the house and drove down the road a ways to a covered concrete parking area to try and protect her car from hail damage. Good thing, as she would have been home when that tree crashed through the house. But Tom is in great spirits as always and actually was able to take a mental health break today and run down to Paces for a few hours to finally do some DH trout fishing. It did the man good to catch a bunch of fish today!

Tom and I talked for a good while, and he asked me to pass on a few things. He has no access to a PC other than at work where they do not allow access to internet sites other than work related stuff, otherwise he would have posted this himself. He ask me to express how touched he was when all of those checks from NGTO members started showing up in his mailbox. He said that is eternally grateful to everyone that sent him money. It was at that point that I spilled the beans and told him that an anonomous member had offered to match everyone's donations and that he would be receiving one more substantial check very soon. AGain, he said he would never be able to thank us all enough for the help. The money we raised for Tom is greatly needed and will go a long way in helping him get through the long and tough rebuilding process.

PS: will post more in the Spring Fling thread, but to thank and help NGTO, Tom has donated one of his fly rods to the NGTO Spring Fling mini-auction. It is a very nice 8.5 foot 5 weigth Scott! Someone is going to win a very nice fly rod next Saturday!
                        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                        Simple Goat Herder
                        Former NGTO President
                        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Thanks Buck, nothin' like mail box money to make ya feel some better, and thank God for his timing out there! NGTO above and beyond the call of duty!
                          " Is it ignorance or is it apathy?
                          Hey man I don't know and I don't care" Jimmy Buffet

Comment

Hey, Buck - Thanks for everything you've done in coordinating this effort. I'll have to bid on the auction for the Scott. It sounds familiar!
                            HoWink

"I fish all the time when I'm at home, so when I get a chance to go on a vacation, I make sure to get in plenty of fishing." -- Thomas McGuane

Comment

Working...
                            X